Home | Community | Message Board

PlanetSpores.ca
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Vinegar mother experiment
    #19680853 -

I have been making a lot of wine and wanted to see if I could get my own mother of vinegar going.
My recipe is 500 ml of sugar water, black tea and a small packet of yeast. I kept feeding the liquid sugar when it started to turn clear and occasionally exposed it to air in hope it would contaminate.
To my amazement, today, after a month a tiny ropy layer has appeared. I've refreshed 90% of the liquid and sugar in hope It has found the right microbial balance that will build the desired clean mother of vinegar.

The smell has indeed turned from yeasty to sour.
Am I doing this right? How likely am I to expose myself to harmful bacteria/fungi?


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Vinegar mother experiment [Re: naturalpsycho]
    #19762142 -

that looks pretty good I think you are getting the results you want

I made wild apple cider vinegar out off some fresh pressed apples and the mother that formed on the top looked very similar to that Once the pH drops and the fermetn starts to smell pretty vinigary you dont have too much to worry about as far as dangerous contaminants. Dangersou molds and such will be obvious and things like botulism are anaerobic and do not propigate in high acidity

when your mother get thick enough you can wash it in some distilled white, or organic raw apple cider vinager and it will be ready to plop it into some sugary thing you want to vinigarize

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* a meal i made, nobody died canid 1,019 3 10/31/03 01:35 AM
by canid
* habaneros, jalapenos, and apples oh my! xshadowmage666x 1,345 9 11/06/08 02:15 AM
by noobieshroomie
* Staying healthy with food
( 1 2 3 all )
mr_kite 3,984 48 04/16/09 02:43 PM
by LeftyBurnz
* Pickled onions zeta 1,182 2 06/10/04 08:54 AM
by Stein
* I gots some damn great tuna steaks.. How should I cook- GabbaDj 1,560 12 03/23/04 04:40 AM
by Fungushead
* vegan recipes for shroomers! Xochitl 2,504 6 09/10/03 09:58 PM
by falcon
* Your favorite sushi rolls? HB 2,449 10 10/01/03 12:07 AM
by
* cheese and salami biscuits falcon 732 0 11/22/03 09:26 PM
by falcon

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: trendal, geokills, feevers
441 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 1 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.023 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.