Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineGanoderma
journeyman
Making Plug Spawn
    #1929145 - 09/18/03 01:38 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I'm wonting to make my own plug spawn, but i'm not to sure in how to go about it beside what all i know about growing fungi.

For now I'm just thinking about Shiitake plugs, but in time I'll be looking to do other kinds of fungi.

I know that i'll have to find dowels that haven't been treated, i think that most dowel rods that you can buy at hardware stores have most likely been treated, so that rules that source out(i think?) I have heard that groves carved into the dowels helps the fungus establish its self.

The next step would be to cut the dowels down to the desired lengths, of about an inch or an inch in a half (i think?)

Next would come the step of soaking the dowels in water for some thing like 24-48 hours or untill the absorb enough water. in this step would the PH value of the water be of interest, like balancing it around 7-8, would you adjust it differently for extended storage of the plug spawn?

after loading the soaked dowels into the container to be PC'ed (we will say we are using mason jars) and once PC'ing is done the jars are removed and allowed to cool to be inoculated.

Now this step is where I'm not sure which method might be best, I could start jars (all of this should have all ready been done and be awaiting to be transferred)of saw dust spawn, I could attempt to collinize a jar or rye, or i could go and remove one of these steps and remove one of these steps and just do a staight agar transfer to the plug spawn jars

This is where i'm not sure about some of the steps, Should i shake the jars of spawn plugs like you would a jar of rye grain, or just let it grow with out shaking? How long should I let the jars set once fully collonized? How should I store the plugs after colinization? How long after colinization can i store them for? Plugs are normaly used to innoculate stumps and logs, so what about inoculating a standing tree that had died in the last year due to envirometal reasons (fire/drought)?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineshroomstruck

Re: Making Plug Spawn [Re: Ganoderma]
    #1929438 - 09/18/03 02:57 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Have you considered trying liquid myclium?
It can be made in enough quantity to soak all your plugs and should be a more effective colinizer than g2g.
May save you a lot of time also ... if possible.

OfflinePaid
Pict
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
    #1929497 - 09/18/03 03:14 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I use hard wood dowels from hardware shops.
As far as i know none are treated with anything.
As i've used several brands with no problems.

These are oyster's Shiitake are far white'r.

I half fill a jar, pour in boiling water, microwave on full for 2 mins, drain, cool, then inoculate with agar wedges.

The lid has a large whole covered in tyvek for air exchange.
Shake when 20% colonised, then leave till ready.

Good luck

--------------------

InvisibleEffedS
 User Gallery

Loc: Daylight Slavings
Re: Making Plug Spawn [Re: Paid]
    #1929597 - 09/18/03 03:35 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Nice, I like seeing you guys experiment.  :laugh:

Offliner05c03
The Slug Scourge
Loc: Indiana, US
Re: Making Plug Spawn [Re: Effed]
    #1929693 - 09/18/03 04:04 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

--------------------
Listen! Do you smell something?

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#1930649 - 09/18/03 09:32 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I've ordered many dowels from the above link; Decent pricing, good product, fast delivery.

You can easily colonize dowels with birdseed/millet, as its small size sticks to freshly drained, moist dowels; just a sprinkling as dowels are filled into a jar or tupperware container:

Shiitake dowels

More seed, quicker colonization.

Sawdust spawn would work well, but a few birdseed quarts can actually inoculate an amazing number of dowels.

It's not the best idea to use glass jars for dowel colonization, though. If left for too long, you may break the glass trying to get them out. Praise be to Sterilite(tm) and Tupperware(tm).

Dowels are pretty easy to prepare; Personally I haven't ever used a PC on them. Simmer an hour, soak overnight, inoculate the next day.

OfflinePaid
Pict
 User Gallery

Re: Making Plug Spawn [Re: Suntzu]
    #1931036 - 09/18/03 11:29 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Thats a lot of dowels :-)
Good work

Do you always do grain to dowel?

--------------------

OfflineGanoderma
journeyman
    #1946317 - 09/23/03 10:34 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

thanks for all of the info guys, what about handling them after they are colinized/how should i store them once colinized?

OfflineSuntzu
Geek
 User Gallery

#1947337 - 09/24/03 09:16 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Grain to dowel has worked from the beginning for me, so I stuck with it.  I've never had the problem of *not enough dowels* for the logs available, for larger scale dowel preparation something like sawdust spawn might be the way to go. 

Post colonization of the dowel, IMO, one should just handle it once from the jar to the log.  Colonized wood is pretty forgiving, though.  Many species are fine being refrigerated in this state, better than refrigerating the grain anyway.  The best bet is to time things so that you're ready to plug not long after complete colonization. 

Hammering them in is actually pretty fun.  :smile: 

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: Making Plug Spawn [Re: Suntzu]
    #1947442 - 09/24/03 10:04 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I also use the grain to dowel method with great success.

OfflinePaid
Pict
 User Gallery

Re: Making Plug Spawn [Re: Anno]
    #1947529 - 09/24/03 10:46 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Seems like an extra uneeded step to me, but then I havent done
any containers or more than 30 dowelsat a time.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates