Home | Community | Message Board

High Mountain Compost
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinechrisscole
Mr
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oxon, England
lions mane dowels + yellow oyster straw logs?
    #6549859 - 02/10/07 09:08 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

has anyone here ever made lions mane dowels before?

I inoculated a jar (pasteurized till they sunk in boiling water, then sterilized for 1 hr) with a syringe and they are covered in a very thin grey mycelium, but they are not anything like the oyster dowels I bought - which were totally white. Was wondering if I should wait until the dowels are properly covered (have been in there 3 weeks) with thick white mycelium, or is that just how lions mane dowels look?

(could be the strain or the fact that I innoc. with syringe instead of grain spawn)

also, I have two bags of golden oyster that I spawned 2-3 weeks ago, which are now mostly covered in fluffy myc. just wondered when they are ready - as it doesn't look as thick as the blue oyster bags I'd made up - also, the bottom 1/4" is quite wet, so doesn't seem to have colonized.

I'll post pics as soon as I get the chance.

Chris

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: lions mane dowels + yellow oyster straw logs? [Re: chrisscole]
    #6550128 - 02/10/07 12:09 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I think you got the dowels too wet. I stop hydrating when about ten percent of them sink. Hericium myceium can be really thin, and you'll think it isn't even growing, then almost overnight it will whiten up. I've come very close to dumping hericium projects several times because I thought the mycelium had died, but that's just how it grows. You can help things out by soaking/boiling the dowels in weak coffee.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon ½ Pint Jars

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Gourmet and Medicinal Mushrooms