Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisibleeric_the_redS
Trans-male User Gallery

Loc: happy land
growlog accounts: how secure are they?
    #1903836 - 09/11/03 01:07 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

how are growlog accounts linked to a person?s main username?
who is this info readily available to? admins only or all mods?
what extra measures, if any, are used to protect the anonymity of a growlog account?

one hypothetical scenarios:

1. growlog account "b" is labeled a puppet of user "a" by the system software.  user posts pics of cultivation and a detailed  methods of growing he/she used. thinking it is safe to do so, the user posts his/her pic or other exposing and identifying information with account "a."

2. that combined incriminating information is gained (hacking/investigating/ subpoena/etc.) by the bad guys.

3. busted. user is screwed. an admission to growing, pics of growing, and a  positive id.

it seems unlikely that it would happen, but wouldn?t it be better if it could be made nearly impossible for this happen? 
most people here probably don?t grow on a large scale, so it would be a waste of time and money for authorities to spend time investigating someone here.

what if the info was just given to authorities?

another scenario:

1. same as above mostly. user "b" is known to be user "a" to those with red, black, or green names.

2. one of the mods or admins develops a severe dislike for user a/b for a number of reasons.

3. the mod/admin is exiled or leaves the site on bad terms with those in charge, as well as user a/b. user a/b could even be partialy responsible for this.

4. revenge. the ex mod/admin goes to the authorities and hands them a nice gift: all the info he/she knows about user a/b and maybe other users too.

5.  knock, knock.  who?s there?  here?s a hint: i smell like freshly-risen dough and bacon grease  the pizza guy? (door busts open)  wrong, bitch. pull down your pants and assume the position.  :shocked:

it would involve little work for this easy bust. do you think they would pass that up?

i don?t think so.

--------------------
Anno cock? is that some kind of Greek liqueur? -Geo's All Knowing Sex Slave

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleStarter
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: Australia
Re: growlog accounts: how secure are they? [Re: eric_the_red]
    #1904541 - 09/11/03 07:46 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I'm not in the US so I find all this AFOAF carry on to be over the top, and yet at the same time I suspect it gives no cover whatsoever. But then, I'm no lawyer lol.

In regards to PM'age, well if you have no PM's that discuss info like email addys, home addys, postal addys or personal materials and only cultivation info, then it's about as handy as what's posted publicly -- no use at all. If you're that paranoid, remain a lurker.

Now if you want to post sensitive stuff in PM'age, use PGP and so pissed ex-mods/admins/puppets/spooks/LEO who retain their keys or stole the keys won't get squat.

I can't see how ex-staff in the shroomery would retain their keys, yet it happened at overgrow as one of their FAQ editors still had the keys after being booted and threatened to wipe out the whole OG FAQ.

Final note: The real danger is in a post-bust situation where they forensic your PC and find you have a cyber grow history dossier.

The question I put to the shroomery is this, 'does the shroomery have a self-destruct button?', as is found at Overgrow. A means for a member to unregister and thereby wipe out their very cyber being for security.

--------------------
Convert Metric and Imperial.

Anonymous

Re: growlog accounts: how secure are they? [Re: Starter]
    #1905072 - 09/11/03 11:35 AM (20 years, 6 months ago)

I agree, I doubt that afoaf stuff is beneficial in anyway....or even worse is when ppl mention pets and other animals....thats just stupid

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
Re: growlog accounts: how secure are they? [Re: eric_the_red]
    #1905269 - 09/11/03 12:31 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

> growlog account "b" is labeled a puppet of user "a" by the system software.

This particular "system software" is available only to administrator accounts, mods are only notified when a real puppet is found, and generally only if they keep up with the PM Warning Log (used to keep track of who's been using up their get out of jail free cards). 

Growlog accounts are kept under the radar and are not discussed.  They are not directly flagged to their owner's account either.  One would have to sift through hundreds of lines of results to sleuth out the connection - and like I said, those hundreds of lines are not available to anyone but admins.

> A means for a member to unregister and thereby wipe out their very cyber being for security.

PM an administrator, and situation depending we can wipe the account.  We don't have this option available on the user's end largely because it will create gaps in a ton of threads and people should be aware of what they are posting in the first place.  Take responsibility for your actions and be smart about your posts.

> 'does the shroomery have a self-destruct button?'

I'm sure if we were facing legal trouble, 3D would wipe the disks clean.  Hopefully we won't be put in a position where we have to do this :frown:

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: growlog accounts: how secure are they? [Re: geokills]
    #1905322 - 09/11/03 12:38 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

> I'm sure if we were facing legal trouble, 3D would wipe the disks clean.

I think you mean that the disks would probably fail... obstruction of justice, etc...

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflinegeokillsA
∙∙∙∙☼ º¿° ☼∙∙∙∙
Male User Gallery

Loc: city of angels Flag
Re: growlog accounts: how secure are they? [Re: Seuss]
    #1905530 - 09/11/03 01:15 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Same difference - either way, we will make every possible effort to ensure that potentially damaging information does not fall into the hands of bad people.  Of course, we can't censor everything a user posts - so please post wisely :grin:

--------------------

--------------------
··∙   long live the shroomery  ∙··
...π╥ ╥π...

OfflineAnnom
※※※※※※
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Europe
    #1905599 - 09/11/03 01:27 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

Why does the user  DONOTDELETE exists?

Just curious....    :confused: 

Invisibleeric_the_redS
Trans-male User Gallery

Loc: happy land
    #1906273 - 09/11/03 03:26 PM (20 years, 6 months ago)

thanks for the info. seems like a decent system of operation.

"Take responsibility for your actions and be smart about your posts."

that is excellent advice. no matter how secure you make the system, the user is really the only one that can assure his/her total safety.

--------------------
Anno cock? is that some kind of Greek liqueur? -Geo's All Knowing Sex Slave

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds