Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinevts1134
Re: Casing moisture
    #18614 - 05/27/00 01:26 AM (23 years, 9 months ago)

I always sterilize my casing layer. I put it in my autoclave at 15 psi for about a half an hour. That seems to work for me. Now as for moisture I just keep remembering "moist not wet" and "never over water" because an overly wet casing is worse that and overly dry one, although nether are conducive to optimum growth. Hope that this was some help

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Casing moisture [Re: vts1134]
    #18616 - 05/27/00 03:39 AM (23 years, 9 months ago)

I think unsterilized casing has like microflora which stimulate mushroom growth but it also could contain contaminants. anyway, you should really read the mushroom cultivator, there is a chapter in the book entitled "the casing layer" i think it would make sense to read the book if you are really interested in mycology. the casing layer is very important. to achive optimum moisture remover 10-20% of the volme of the dry mix and then saturate the remaining 80-90%. Then add the remainng dry material and mix it thouroughly. the mushrom cultivator is such a great book i can not emphisize this enough. the casing layer should be open and porous, the pin heads form in the "vallys" of the casing layer, make sure it is pourous and open, it also says in the mushroom cultivator that the more even the casing layer the more msuhrooms that grow, but since there are so many mushroom growing at one they are smaller then if they were not so close together but the other all yield is higher.

OfflineRhizoid
carbon unit
Male

Loc: Europe
Re: Casing moisture [Re: vts1134]
    #18617 - 05/27/00 09:02 AM (23 years, 9 months ago)

I have only tried casing in jars, with nothing but moist vermiculite as casing material, and I have had just as good results with unsterilized vermiculite as I have had with sterilized material. So now I just soak the casing vermiculite in pre-boiled water, to get rid of the chlorine.

I find this much easier than birthing cakes in a terrarium. I just put the jar, with the lid off, in a plastic bag together with some wet toilet paper (wet with hydrogen peroxide solution). But I only grow a couple of jars at a time, and I guess a terrarium is more efficient when you have a lot of cakes...

This is my official delurk post by the way, hi everyone!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract