Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, 10cc Syringe, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinechinacat311
the lizard king

Loc: washington, dc..the sourc...
ive got some questions for my first grow...
    #1850243 - 08/26/03 01:41 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

ok i tried to find the answeres but had no luck. i ordered a P cubensis syringe and am just waiting for it to arrive to start my grow.

i have a couple questions..first, when sterilizing (im going to do it in a pot, not pressure cooker) do i need to seal the jars? i found one tek that says to leave them slightly open to let the steam in, and another says to seal them tightly (i would cover the holes w/ tape to prevent drips of condensation either way). in order to sterilize then does the steam need to enter the jars or is it just the heat that is important?

2) im basically following the PF Tek, but i found another Tek (here on the shroomery i think) that mentions using 2L bottles for the cakes after moving them from the jars. does anyone here have experience with that method? does it work? im only doing 2 or 3 cakes so it wouldnt be a hassle.

3)i have to be somewhat discreet in my growing, and i was wondering if since the mushrooms dont seem to need a lot of light to signal fruiting or whatnot, would just a set of christmas lights work? it was mentioned on a Tek, but again, i want to know from actual experience if it works. (im want to put the whole aparatus inside a large speaker enclosure i have)

thanks for the patience with such a n00b.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleBrainFarmer
Farmicist

Loc: lounging betwixt lobes...
Re: ive got some questions for my first grow... [Re: chinacat311]
    #1850263 - 08/26/03 01:47 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

follow the pf tek as closely as possible and you can't lose! i say let your jar lids be a little loose in the pot, then tighten when done. 2L's will work, so will x-mas lights. just cut off the bottom of the bottle as evenly as possible. have your cake sitting on a small dish of damp verm then cover with the bottle.

--------------------
Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate Bodhisvah

Formula: 0

InvisibleBrainFarmer
Farmicist

Re: ive got some questions for my first grow... [Re: BrainFarmer]
    #1850266 - 08/26/03 01:49 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

oh yeah, be sure to air those bottles out frequently due to how little volume they hold.

--------------------

Offlinechinacat311
the lizard king

#1850286 - 08/26/03 01:55 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

frequently... how often is that?

and once i take it out of the jars, contam isnt as much of a problem or do i need to continuie to sterilize everything?

OfflineKhaosKronik
Farmer
Loc: The ever incroching polic...
    #1850296 - 08/26/03 02:00 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

In my opinion the PF tek is god for the newest grower. Stick to it to the letter for the first flush or couple and then you'll know enought to screw around and have a chance of success. Also, will your 1(?) syringe be enough to innoculate all your cakes? I foget the link, but just search for the honey tek, cool, works great and provides a tasty snack, not to mention enough innoculent for a comerical opp.

--------------------
All post are works of fiction and are the products of an insane and derranged mind; mainly mine. SoRrY,,., I'Ve BeNN OFFF my mEdsSS

Offlinechinacat311
the lizard king

Re: ive got some questions for my first grow... [Re: KhaosKronik]
    #1850311 - 08/26/03 02:06 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

another quick question, whats the general timeframe for a n00b? the teks say 1-2 mos but is that for a first timer? and is it generally easy or do people usually fail their first time?

khaos, im gonna do the brown rice subs first, 1cc for each jar (thats what the tek said) so a 10cc syringe should be enough. ill have some leftover and ill try the honey my second time around.

Offlineacidhead1279
Master Of AllThings Hip
 User Gallery

Loc: somewhere on the other si...
    #1850475 - 08/26/03 04:02 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

dude get yourself a PC; cheap and totaly worth it. doesnt have to be one of those "all-americans", can be one of those cheap presto ones, thats what i use a not a single contam in my shit yet.

btw, cool screen name, THE DEAD ROCK!

--------------------
Farewell FRSE!  We had such good times together.

Offlinedanelectro
Disenfranchised

Loc: Left of Oblivion
    #1850478 - 08/26/03 04:04 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Well first rule STERILIZE EVERYTHING! Clean your grow area really well (I wouldn't suggest a bleach scrub that will kill good microorganism) I sprayed lysol in the air a minute or so before I opened my setup but I've learned that that really doesn't do anything. But always wash your hands, hold your breath and go buy the big bottles of 99% alcohol and H2O2. The syringe will be plenty don't worry about it, but 3 jars really isn't that much as far as brf cakes go don't expect more than a dose per cake and less in later flushes. Time is tricky, I would suggest incubating the jars while they colonize (use a fishtank heater in a big jar of water) And after you make then forget they exist for 5 days or so. I was freaking out over the little peices of cooked rice that didn't cut up much and I thought was bacteria invading my precious cakes. When the mycelium starts you'll know what it is so just don't check them for a week or so. 2 weeks for colonizing if you're lucking 3 and a half or more is a more realistic expectation. I expect you're just fruiting off the cakes, invest in a good thermometer that checks humidity. And don't bother with automation good old misting and fanning works just as well. Pick off aborts they will rot and ruin you cakes. I would say a month and a half and you'll have some nice fruits if you do it right, which if you follow PF you'll be fine. Goodluck and goodtrip. And yes that's my rant.

--------------------
We should really love each other, in peace and harmony. Instead we're fussing and fighting, like we ain't supposed to be.-Bob Marley
The people, the still sleeping mass which it was necessary to mobilize and its vanguard, the guerrillas.
-Che

InvisibleBrainFarmer
Farmicist

#1850494 - 08/26/03 04:16 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

frequently... how often is that?

i'd say at lease thrice a day.  (3 times :wink:)

Quote:

and once i take it out of the jars, contam isnt as much of a problem or do i need to continuie to sterilize everything?

no, contams aren't as much of a problem, but that's no reason to stop being sterile!

:sun:
BF

--------------------

Offlineacidhead1279
Master Of AllThings Hip
 User Gallery

Loc: somewhere on the other si...
    #1850522 - 08/26/03 04:37 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

if you can find it, theres this stuff called "OUST"; works merricles... its specificaly made to sterilize the surrounding air. get it at wallyworld near lysol n shit like that for like 3$ a can

--------------------
Farewell FRSE!  We had such good times together.

OfflineJuggaJoe
PracticingTriptician

Loc: Cana-duh
    #1850747 - 08/26/03 09:30 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

China, my conjoined twin recently had success with his first "ghetto" grow, you should be fine with the tek method.

He used a pot, tightly kept the lids on, but only put tinfoil over the whole thing, no tape on the holes. a few weeks they were colonized. Lysol works good, spray your area a couple times daily.. you'll have nothing to worry about.

He bought a six pack of food containers, threw some wet perlite in them, and birthed the cakes onto a piece of tinfoil. fanned 3-5 times a day.. a week and a half later, shrooms..

It's easy, just keep things clean around anything you do (IE: lysol all the time, and wash your hands)

You should dunk them too after birthing.. that really helped out too.

--------------------
Uppa da bum, no babies!

Offlinechinacat311
the lizard king

Re: ive got some questions for my first grow... [Re: JuggaJoe]
    #1851155 - 08/26/03 01:11 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

ok im going out now to pick up all the supplies.  thanks for all the advice guys, ill let you know how it works out :smile:

OfflineLupuz
It's 4:20Somewhere

Loc: Somewhere
    #1851243 - 08/26/03 01:48 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

I hope its ok if I weasel in on this thread. I'm a newbie too and I had a few questions myself. I'm planning on ordering from Ralphsters and the PF tek recommends amazonian cubes but which would you guys suggest?

Also, I'm going the ultra-sonic humidifier route and want to get the most out of it that I can. The tek says use a styrofoam ice chest but they don't seem to be big enough to hold many cakes. Can I hook several ice chests up to the one humidifier? Am I just worrying over nothing or is there a better way to do this.

Thank for your help.

--------------------
Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one - Thomas Jefferson

Offlinechinacat311
the lizard king

Re: ive got some questions for my first grow... [Re: Lupuz]
    #1856091 - 08/27/03 08:56 PM (14 years, 3 months ago)

http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat...t=1#Post1856047
Quote:

The company is Ralphster's Spores. Take this as THE warning that nobody
ever wants to receive, but be thankful for it. DO NOT send your name or
address to ANY address that says Ralph, PO Box 1667, his 3008 Navajo Drive
address, OR PAYPAL! Paypal has supposedly rolled over too. Ralphster44, I
obviously can't call or write, I hope that you get this note buddy, (and
aren't pissed off but very thankful and thankful that everybody now knows
not to incriminate either themselves or you anymore) SOON before the shit
hits the fan. I'll send you a note and tell you how we can communicate
and square up later.

i dont know the whole deal, but check that before you order from Ralph!!

OfflineLupuz
It's 4:20Somewhere

Loc: Somewhere
    #1865321 - 08/30/03 11:47 AM (14 years, 3 months ago)

Thanks for the heads up. I've read what's been posted and I'm just as confused as when I began. Hopefully it's all just rumors. It doesn't look like Ralphsters doing anything illegal. He's very careful on his site. He still looks like one of the best vendors. Yep, still confused...

--------------------
Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one - Thomas Jefferson

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy Cannabis Seeds, Buy CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, 10cc Syringe, Brown Rice Flour, Perlite, Pressure Cooker, Ultrasonic Humidifier, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation