Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
the dumbing down of america
    #1845061 - 08/24/03 08:22 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I'm sure many of you see it.  our education system sucks so hard, and if you don't think so think on a couple of things here.  teachers are some of the most underpaid people, yet they have such an important job.  there are with kids eight hours and day 9-10 months. An what about subject material. 

here's an example.  My sister years ago came up to me when she was in first grade.  she showed me a spelling test.  she got 100%  I saw the word again spelled (AGEN).  I asked her about it and she said she got it right.  the teacher wants her to spell it how it sounds first, then they'll learn to write it the right way later.  ludacris!! then my sister gets into the second grade, and that teacher doesn't understand why she can't spell.  oh they must be dumb, special ed kid huh?  I asked about this and guess what?  they changed policies, oh well.  oh well all right!!!

...and kids these days are being taught towards a scantron test.  that's not learning people!! All I see is SAT's ACT's SAT 2's, CTBS, STAR, GSE's and so on.  I was even in a comptetion between schools (academic decatholon) for four years.  Every year it was the same thing, the upper class kids would win in the scantron test portion, but faulter in essay writing, job interview, and speech portions.  in the real world, being able to make a speech in front of people is being able to communicate your ideas well and have confidence in what you say.  A job interview, well yeah we know why this is important.  Essay writing is your bread and butter in college, let alone it's importance to convey ideas onto paper.

yeah just some thoughts to share :smile: 

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineInfrared
sleeping
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chicago, USA
Re: the dumbing down of america [Re: kaiowas]
    #1845232 - 08/24/03 11:25 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

thats why i dropped out. and im still smarter then everyone in school.

--------------------
When chemistry is outlawed.. Only outlaws have chemistry:rainbowdrink:

Offlinedibbles
Just a normalguy with nothingto lose.

Loc: Exactly where you'd never...
Re: the dumbing down of america [Re: Infrared]
    #1845430 - 08/24/03 12:59 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

wut is the prublem if spellin aint write on, the thout that cownts.

Seariously though, the education system is fucked up, i remember learning the same u.s. history bullshit time and time again throughout middle/high school, spend some time teaching kids about the present, instead of pointlessly teaching the same history again and again. my 2 cents.

--------------------
You've succumb to an empty fate, your false prophets are gone, your life,meaningless, your heart and head broken, and we're all laughing.

OfflineEthanEdwards
In which Dorisgets her oats

Re: the dumbing down of america [Re: dibbles]
    #1845449 - 08/24/03 01:13 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

You have to wait until college to learn anything worth while. Anything before that is just programming your mind to be able to learn and process.

--------------------
Everybody must give something back for something they got.- Bob Dylan

OfflineSev
Astropath
Loc: NY
Re: the dumbing down of america [Re: EthanEdwards]
    #1845558 - 08/24/03 02:09 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

No, it's not. I haven't seen a single school actually teach people how to learn with any consistancy -- either it's something you pick up along the way, or you don't.

--------------------
"Do we want the stars? We can have them. Can we borrow cups of fire from the sun? We can and must and light the world." --"On the Shoulders of Giants", Ray Bradbury

All of my posts are full of fiction and blatant lies.

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Loc: beautiful BC
Re: the dumbing down of america [Re: EthanEdwards]
    #1845560 - 08/24/03 02:10 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

It is just programming, subliminal social programming at your most influential year's. They tell you what they claim you need to know, and most people go along with it. Although im in Canada, its why I too, dropped out.

If they create people, who are easily influenced (kids) who are docile enough to do what "the authority" tell's them to do, without thinking (this come's naturally after a couple fear instilled years) they create a platform of docile rhetoric believer's to do what they say for the next 70 year's. AND...they kick the one's like me out, who challenge these notion's, under the guise of a fancy policy.

My teacher's pulled me aside often in regards to my "brilliance", yet a month or so down the road i was "forced to leave."

Just goes to show, the dumb are the successful one's.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan Flag
Re: the dumbing down of america [Re: PDU]
    #1845662 - 08/24/03 02:55 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

i was always taken aside too, and my report cards were hilarious,
almost consistant "we all know mitches mediocre marks do not reflect his inate abilities."
they were all so dissappointed that i diddnt care. i never did homework and i never studied, the only reason i passed was because i would just causually ace all the tests (except math) and do some giant over-kill collage worthy extra credit research paper or something just before exams to break the fail mark. i hated those! id stay up all night, but id always get by.
school was just such a bummer during the time id rather be outdoors

of course i was an honors art student. why? because i took the class seriously, hardly anyone did. most people failed. i was just so goddamn happy to be there

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Re: the dumbing down of america [Re: Mitchnast]
    #1845719 - 08/24/03 03:23 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

The system cater's, even as early on as school, to people who will put up and shut up.

When someone realize's something is pointless, it is wrong to resume. Thus, you are disciplined. I was honour's till grade 9, then i transfered school's and decided i didnt care, and i made it through, but it was a struggle.
I was thinking about this when i was in the shower, and ultimately the reason i had to leave was for an imaginary dress code violation which didnt make sense and ONLY applied to me, however, the teacher's probably thought of me as a threat in every way, they were looking for any reason to get me outta there.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Edited by PDU (08/24/03 03:24 PM)

InvisibleSammi
stoner

Loc: Texas
    #1845796 - 08/24/03 03:54 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

When I was in school (I also droped out) the teachers never graded us on what we knew. They gave us a grade according to how they liked you and what color your skin was. I could had made straight A's in school but I was tired of the bs so I either slept through the day ro just didnt go. Then I droped out.

But I do however agree with the history thing. Who the fuck cares about what happen 100 million years ago?? They always said that history repeats itself. And I'm sure it does. So i can understand learning a little about history. But why have a whole class to history??? They could take that time and teach something that we are actually going to need in life.

i also took a cooking class in HS. You know what they taught us how to cook??? Store bought cookie dough. All we had to do was cut it and put it on a pan and wait there for 15 min. I still to this day cant cook. (This is why 3D does all our cooking...he wont eat it if I cook it lol and I dont blame him)

I think the only good class I ever took that taught me something I can use later on in life was a clothing class. I hated that teacher. But at the end of the year I thought back and she was the only person that taught me anything good. Now at least if my clothes rip I can fix then with a needle and thread :smile:

But going back to the reading thing...I didnt learn to read till I was in 2end grade. And it was my Grandma that taught me how to read. Shows how good school is now a days.

--------------------
Every cause has an effect, but in the end you get what you give.

Offlinewalk
ignorantwhiteman

Loc: Dunedin, New Zealand
Re: the dumbing down of america [Re: Sammi]
    #1846134 - 08/24/03 06:12 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

i was going to complain about my schooling as well cos a lot of it was fuckin worthless. Then i remembered that where i come from school is 'free'.

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1846192 - 08/24/03 06:31 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

The education system is a propaganda machine who's power is underestimated, overlooked, and unexpected.... It seems to be used to metaphorically slam all the nails down into their place.

Well, some of us say "screw THAT!"

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

Edited by Strumpling (08/24/03 06:31 PM)

Offlinedawn of a new day
un inglohablante

Loc: Earth
    #1846338 - 08/24/03 07:12 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

The teacher makes all the difference. In the same day at high school last week I had one teacher tell me that every illegal drug is more dangerous to one's health than any legal drug is. This was during a debate in my Politics class about personal freedoms. A few hours later one of my teachers showed our class a video about the history or drug use in cultures around the world. Of course he had to give the little disclaimer before about how he didn't support drug use and what not to protect himself from people with crazy parents, but my point is, it's possible to learn a lot of interesting things in high school with the right teachers and classes.

--------------------
"Why is marijuana against the law? It grows naturally upon our planet. Doesn't the idea of making nature against the law seem to you a bit . . . unnatural?"
- Bill Hicks

OfflineRavinoff
LethargicSnorting Duck

Re: the dumbing down of america [Re: dawn of a new day]
    #1846365 - 08/24/03 07:20 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

"that every illegal drug is more dangerous to one's health than any legal drug is"

I don't even feel like argueing with such a stupid statement... so I'll just say "no"

Invisiblekaiowas
lest we baguette
 User Gallery

Loc: oz
Re: the dumbing down of america [Re: Ravinoff]
    #1846431 - 08/24/03 07:41 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

"I do however agree with the history thing. Who the fuck cares about what happen 100 million years ago?? They always said that history repeats itself. And I'm sure it does. So i can understand learning a little about history. But why have a whole class to history???"

I hated my history classes, not because I didn't think it was important, but that it was biased. I see little plugs here an there trying to influence the mind to think a certain way. sometimes I even saw contradictions in the same textbook. what we should have is a class on critical thinking at least!! this way you CAN read in between the lines, but why in the hell would the govt. want to do that??

"but my point is, it's possible to learn a lot of interesting things in high school with the right teachers and classes."

yes and that was my point on the payscale for teachers. we need innovation, but they get paid so poorly most people that have the capacity to actually teach well, won't even take a second look at it.

--------------------
Annnnnnd I had a light saber and my friend was there and I said "you look like an indian" and he said "you look like satan" and he found a stick and a rock and he named the rock ooga booga and he named the stick Stick and we both thought that was pretty funny. We got eaten alive by mosquitos but didn't notice til the next day. I stepped on some glass while wading in the swamp and cut my foot open, didn't bother me til the next day either....yeah it was a good time, ended the night by buying some liquor for minors and drinking nips and going to he diner and eating chicken fingers, and then I went home and went to bed.

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

#1846562 - 08/24/03 08:19 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

You learn history from the winner's perspective, obviously bias as hell. Everything they do in school is subliminally swaying you to be a good citizen, one who buy's what he hear's and is happy as hell about it.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

Offlinesmoke6969
stoned

Loc: USA
    #1847716 - 08/25/03 07:34 AM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I don't think that its possible for teachers to be payed more that would be rediculouse. Being a teacher is not a real world job despite its importance. Teachers in no way need more money. There are pensions that they get. This means they don't have to take part of their paycheck and put it into a 401k like most Americans. Also they get tenure another thing that rarely exists anymore. So as long as they don't assault, rape, or kill anyone after their first three years they will always have their job. They don't have to wory about unemployment. Another thing about teachers is they get their insurance for free and so do all their dependents. Most people in the real world have to take money out of their paychecks to pay for their dependents or a co-pay of atleast like 10 bucks or soething everytime they need a prscription or visit to a doctor. Teachers still get all of this for free. Plus they have like 60-70 days of the year off with summers and holiday vacations. So i say fuck the teachers they have it pretty good and should get real and work hard because they already have all of the isentive they need.

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Re: the dumbing down of america [Re: smoke6969]
    #1848513 - 08/25/03 02:06 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I would rather see tax dollar's directed to the Teachers, rather than toward's the "billion dollar defense fund" or VIdeo Camera's, metal detector's, and police in my hallways.
However, teacher's teach the material given, and they do a pretty shitty job sometime's...i dont especially sympathize with them. I made their life hell, and i aint the only one.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

OfflinePhluck
Carpal Tunnel
 User Gallery

Loc: Canada
    #1848623 - 08/25/03 02:37 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

A lot of people who are talented in many ways do well despite their failure as students. Depending on what your plans are, school can be great for you.

Math isn't propaganda. There's a lot of important things to learn in math class, if you're interested. English teaches you to write essays, which is necessary if you plan on moving on to university, where it actually gets interesting.

School can be great, but it's not for everyone.

--------------------
"I have no valid complaint against hustlers. No rational bitch. But the act of selling is repulsive to me. I harbor a secret urge to whack a salesman in the face, crack his teeth and put red bumps around his eyes." -Hunter S Thompson
http://phluck.is-after.us

OfflinePDU
travel kid vs.amerika
 User Gallery

Re: the dumbing down of america [Re: Phluck]
    #1848669 - 08/25/03 02:55 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

I think english is the most important, it teaches you how to properly utilize language, and we use language ALL the time. But your right, just because you didnt succeed in School doesnt mean you wont at life. I do thing's unconventionally, but i know ill succeed.

--------------------
GO OUTSIDE.

InvisibleLittle Shroom
Resident Faerie
Female

Loc: Toronto, Canada
    #1849719 - 08/25/03 08:49 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Wow. That spelling test thing blows my mind...
I wonder how they teach kids to spell now-a-days in Canadian skewls?

Me smrt.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder