Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinemattch1
Monseur

Loc: WV
casing advice
    #1842352 - 08/22/03 09:54 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Ive been having alot of problems lately with bacillus (makes jars smell like wet feet) but i need to case 2 of my colonized jars. I dont have a pressure cooker, so i was thinking about boiling the casing substrate, letting it cool, and then soaking it in a H2O2 solution. Then ill do all the casing in my glove box. That should take care of all bacillus as far as I know. Tell me what you think. :-)
~MC

--------------------
Everything I ask is for informational purposes only. There is no truth to what i say. I am lying.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibleph_plus
Malkawian

Loc: Constantinople
Re: casing advice [Re: mattch1]
    #1843744 - 08/23/03 04:05 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Do you have a micro-wave? or a straight oven? (or it can be a friend of yours'.... you won't be using it for a long time...) Your idea doesn't sound healthy to me.... I don't have any chemical degree but ,(actually i do...but not academically.... :grin: )if it was that easy, my dung would be layin in a H2O2 sollution right now.... :smile: If you try, let us know the results... Good luck!

--------------------

The word truth...... doesn't make any sense..... As if the word sense...... which isn't the truth.........

Anonymous

#1843817 - 08/23/03 04:48 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

if you're doing jars of grain, your lack of a pressure cooker would explain the bacteria. what sort of filters do you use on the jars? do you live at high altitude? how long do you boil the jars for?

casing material need not be sterile. boiling casing ingredients (or soaking it in H2O2) will make it far too wet. do not do this. simply keep your tools and work area reasonably clean, and fan regularly with reasonably clean air, and you'll do fine.

Invisibleph_plus
Malkawian

Re: casing advice [Re: ]
    #1843910 - 08/23/03 05:58 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

How does the high or low altitude effect the contams...? That would be my  question... (not as a cockiness... just curiosity :smile: ) I live like 1,5 KM altitude and if you drive 15KMs from here, you can reach the sea level.... I'm asking this because, i don't use a glovebox mostly, vent my casings for a long time (1-1,5 hours sometimes) with the top of them left open.... And they never get contaminated... I live in the woods, 15 KMs far from sea and approx. 1,3-1,5 KM altitude. Even if i let my sterilized jars for 5-10 min. (while doin' G2G and transfer being stoned :smile: ) with lids off, they all do fine... Is that something to do with the altitude or being in a place with high O2 ratios of the air????........  Didn't mean to change the subject.... :grin:

--------------------

The word truth...... doesn't make any sense..... As if the word sense...... which isn't the truth.........

Anonymous

Re: casing advice [Re: ph_plus]
    #1844011 - 08/23/03 07:02 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

water boils at lower temperatures at high altitude. on the top of mount everest, you can wash your hands in boiling water. at 1.5 km, the boiling point of water is 203 degrees F or 95 C. i'm not sure how much of a difference that makes.

if you're doing grain, a pressure cooker would help alot in getting that grain good and sterile.

Invisibleph_plus
Malkawian

Re: casing advice [Re: ]
    #1844071 - 08/23/03 07:31 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

Got it!!!! Sensible!...... :smile: Thnx!

--------------------

Offlinemattch1
Monseur

Loc: WV
Re: casing advice [Re: ph_plus]
    #1844437 - 08/23/03 10:16 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

H202 is known for its contamination killing properties. The reason people dont use it more often is because it also kills mushroom spores. Mature mycelium, however, can break down H2O2 fairly easily. If you will look, there are many posts about using H2O2 in this manner, with mature mycelium. I have no doubts as to its effectiveness, I was just wondering if anyone has had any successes with it and bacillus.

Also, I always boil my jars, but bacillus spores are fairly heat resistant and sometimes require triple boiling (once a day for 3 days) to effectively kill. My problems is that I dont wanna wait 3 days, and I don't have a pressure cooker (a PC reaches a high enough temp to kill bacillus). And last time i tried not to sterilize my casing material, it was like a contam field trip.
~MC

--------------------
Everything I ask is for informational purposes only. There is no truth to what i say. I am lying.

OfflinecotinMelody
Stranger
    #1848488 - 08/25/03 01:55 PM (20 years, 7 months ago)

A pressure cooker is worth every penny,. it saves you alot of time & confusion

I tried using your method mattch, but came up with a whole dozen contaminated jars. I bought a pr cooker, & have had no probs since..

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate