Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Political Discussion

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Petri Dish

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?

Loc: Lost In Space
She's right again!
    #1814269 - 08/14/03 06:03 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

The Democrats' laboratory: The host organism dies
Ann Coulter (archive)

August 14, 2003 | Print | Send

In June 2002, the liberal American Prospect magazine was hailing California as a "laboratory" for Democratic policies. With "its Democratic governor, U.S. senators, state legislature and congressional delegation," author Harold Meyerson gushed, "California is the only one of the nation's 10 largest states that is uniformly under Democratic control." In the Golden State, Meyerson said, "the next New Deal is in tryouts." (Can't you just feel the tension building?)

Just a few years before that, the impresario of this adventure in Democratic governance, Gov. Gray Davis, was being touted as presidential material ? which wasn't nearly as insulting a thing to say to a politician back then as it is now. Analyst Charles Cook said Davis was "a major player in the Democratic Party," with qualities that would "serve him well should Davis try to test his national ambitions." Davis' fellow Democratic governor, Gary Locke of Washington, called Davis "truly the rising star among governors across America, and among Democrats he's so highly respected as one of the new breed of moderate, centrist Democrats." The only Davis adjective he left out was "money-grubbing."

Around the time of the 2000 Democratic National Convention in Los Angeles, Davis was forced to announce that he would decline offers to be Al Gore's running mate. The Associated Press hailed the match-up, noting that Davis and Al Gore were "strikingly similar in background, outlook and demeanor." Perhaps their campaign slogan could have been "bland and blander."

Gore advisers cooed that "Gray would certainly be one of those names that would have to be in the mix." Both were said to be "cautious, moderate 'New Democrats.'" Both were veterans, after a fashion, of Vietnam, which would make a Gore-Davis presidential ticket the only compelling argument yet in favor of friendly fire.

California is, in fact, a perfect petri dish of Democratic policies. This is what happens when you let Democrats govern: You get a state ? or as it's now known, a "job-free zone" ? with a $38 billion deficit, which is larger than the budgets of 48 states. There are reports that Argentina and the Congo are sending their fiscal policy experts to Sacramento to help stabilize the situation. California's credit rating has been slashed to junk-bond status, and citizens are advised to stock up for the not-too-far-off day when cigarettes and Botox become the hard currency of choice. At this stage, we couldn't give California back to Mexico.

Democrats governed their petri dish as they always govern. They buy the votes of government workers with taxpayer-funded jobs, salaries and benefits ? and then turn around and accuse the productive class of "greed" for wanting their taxes cut. This has worked so well nationally that more people in America now work for the government than work in any sort of manufacturing job.

Strictly adhering to formula in California, as the private sector was bleeding jobs and money, Gov. Davis signed off on comically generous pensions for government workers. Government employees in the Golden State earn more than the private-sector workers who pay their salaries ? and that's excluding the job security, health benefits and 90 percent pension plans that come with "Irish welfare," as government jobs used to be called.

Economists refer to this backward ratio between public and private-sector salaries as "France." (Inasmuch as they are paid more and work less than private-sector employees, perhaps we could ease up on treating public schoolteachers like Mother Teresa washing the feet of the poor in Calcutta.) The public-sector unions repaid Davis with massive contributions to his re-election campaign.

Davis bought himself re-election and is now the most hated officeholder in America. The people of California are willing to plunge their state into humiliation and chaos just to get rid of him. The fact that Arianna Huffington hasn't been laughed off a stage yet is a pretty good gauge of the public's frustration with Davis.

And yet, Bill and Hillary Clinton and the rest of the Democratic Party think Gray Davis is doing a super job. Democrats have denounced the recall ? a genuine citizens' revolt ? as a "circus." According to recent polls, two out of three people in this overwhelmingly Democratic state want Davis out, and still the recall is being called a "Republican power grab."

Most touchingly, Democrats claim to be shocked at the exorbitant cost of a recall election. They were not such penny-pinchers when contemplating Enron-style pensions for school crossing guards. Nor did their fiscal conservatism kick in when Davis announced this week that he would sign legislation providing "intolerance and hatred control training" for all California schoolteachers. Yeah, this is the guy who wants another crack at straightening out the budget.

National Republicans had been enjoying watching the Democrats' petri dish disintegrate into a parasite's paradise and are reluctant to let Davis go. So there were long faces all around when the Terminator threw his hat in the ring. No longer content to play an evil robot, actor Arnold Schwarzenegger will now be running against one. Far be it from me to tell Republicans to stop enjoying the Democrats' pain, but California is about to fall into the ocean.

Either Schwarzenegger will dismantle the government employees' Versailles Palace, or California will continue to be a laboratory for failed liberal policies.

Wise words written with humor.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
Re: She's right again! [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1814292 - 08/14/03 06:09 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

hahah....good one! :lol:

joke of the day! :thumbup:

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

Offlineshakta
Infidel
    #1814297 - 08/14/03 06:13 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

She is a bit to high strung for me generally, but I agree with that article completely.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: She's right again! [Re: shakta]
    #1814302 - 08/14/03 06:15 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

When seeing past the rhetoric, she generally is.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

OfflineCornholio
A liberal guy(on hiatus)

Loc: Austin, TX
    #1814599 - 08/14/03 07:54 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
When seeing past the rhetoric, she generally is. 

How do you distinguish the rhetoric from the facts?  She said "They were not such penny-pinchers when contemplating Enron-style pensions for school crossing guards."  Ok, there's a joke in there, but is she saying screw the school crossing guards, only Enron execs deserve a pension?  :wtf:

By the way, the main focus of the article is to criticize California for their huge spending defecit.  Didn't you just start a thread on hypocracy???  How much criticism has Coulter dished out on Bush's enormous Republican defecit? 

--------------------

InvisibleinfidelGOD
illusion

Loc: there
Re: She's right again! [Re: Cornholio]
    #1814669 - 08/14/03 08:10 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

yeah it's pretty simplistic to blame democrats for the situation. it would be like blaming republicans for the state of the national economy. there are other economic, non-political factors at work, which she ignores in favor of the usual partisan rhetoric. not surprising, really.

funny thing about Ann is that she writes well enough to make her ideas sound somewhat sensible, but when she debates real live people on talk shows, she always gets creamed. when you just push her a bit you'll see that there's really nothing behind the rhetoric and she really doesn't understand the issues she's talking about. does she really think that we hate Davis because of "failed liberal policies"? does she even know what this recall election is about? or what really caused the $38 billion deficit? it's easy to blame "failed liberal policies" but what about the dot-com crash, the energy crisis a couple of years ago, the fact that MOST states are suffering budget deficits because of the state of the national economy. are those all caused by failed liberal policies? if she actually shows a nuanced, well thought out understanding of the situation, I'll take her more seriously. right now I hear nothing but shrill rhetoric.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: She's right again! [Re: Cornholio]
    #1814671 - 08/14/03 08:10 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Ok, there's a joke in there, but is she saying screw the school crossing guards, only Enron execs deserve a pension

I think with a rereading you'll see she's criticizing the size of the pension as it relates to the job skill level.

Quote:

How much criticism has Coulter dished out on Bush's enormous Republican defecit?

Nowhere near enough. The spending levels under the current administration are an embarrassment.

--------------------

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
    #1815147 - 08/14/03 10:34 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Who's fault was the California energy crisis?

Was deregulation a liberal or conservative adgenda?

--------------------

OfflineCornholio
A liberal guy(on hiatus)

Loc: Austin, TX
Re: She's right again! [Re: infidelGOD]
    #1815367 - 08/14/03 11:58 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

infidelGOD said:
when you just push her a bit you'll see that there's really nothing behind the rhetoric and she really doesn't understand the issues she's talking about. does she really think that we hate Davis because of "failed liberal policies"? it's easy to blame "failed liberal policies" but what about the dot-com crash, the energy crisis a couple of years ago, the fact that MOST states are suffering budget deficits because of the state of the national economy. are those all caused by failed liberal policies? if she actually shows a nuanced, well thought out understanding of the situation, I'll take her more seriously.

Baby Hitler said:

Ouch! Good call guys!

--------------------

Offlineshakta
Infidel
Re: She's right again! [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1816250 - 08/15/03 09:12 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Deregulation is working fine here in Texas.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: She's right again! [Re: Baby_Hitler]
    #1816271 - 08/15/03 09:34 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Baby_Hitler said:

Are you asking or dropping hints?

Here's what I know.... It happened while Wilson was gov. It was a unanimous vote of the legislature.

Here's what I don't know, perhaps some of you from Calif can tell me....
What was the make-up of the legislature?
What was the make-up of the PUC?
Which party came up with this idea?

--------------------

Anonymous

#1816390 - 08/15/03 10:39 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Nice thread, good article.

:heartpump:  Ann Coulter.  :lol: 

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: She's right again! [Re: ]
    #1816401 - 08/15/03 10:43 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

The funny thing is, those who hate her the most probably like Al Franken!  :rolleyes:

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

Loc: mndfreeze's puppet army
    #1816585 - 08/15/03 12:17 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:
The funny thing is, those who hate her the most probably like Al Franken!  :rolleyes: 

Hey, at least Al Franken's funny.  Ann Coulter is just a cocky bitch.

--------------------

"It is dangerous to be right when the government is wrong."--Voltaire

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

Re: She's right again! [Re: silversoul7]
    #1816660 - 08/15/03 12:57 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

silversoul7 said:
Quote:

luvdemshrooms said:

Hey, at least Al Franken's funny.  Ann Coulter is just a cocky bitch. 

Once upon a time, Al was funny. As of late he just sounds like a whiner.

I find Ann far more amusing. The secret is to not take her too seriously. See past the rhetoric to the point.

Oh crap.... I almost forgot.... libbies CAN'T see past rhetoric.
:lol:

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#1816662 - 08/15/03 12:58 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Ann Coulter is nothing but rhetoric.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#1816714 - 08/15/03 01:22 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

What's the matter.... cranky today?

I notice that many here think that way when they don't like the messenger.

You should try to get over that.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#1816718 - 08/15/03 01:24 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Messenger? What message does she have, other than "Fuck liberals! They're evil, cuz I said so!"?

PS: I'm actually in a good mood today. Stating my opinion about Ann Coulter does not mean I'm cranky.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms

#1816730 - 08/15/03 01:29 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Funny that's the only thing you come away from her articles with.

You should read the message and ignore the messenger if you don't like her.

And the cranky comment was because you came across to me that way. It's hard to tell from the typed word though.

Sorry if I'm wrong.

--------------------

Invisiblesilversoul7
Chill the FuckOut!
 User Gallery

#1816741 - 08/15/03 01:33 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Sorry if I'm wrong.

No need to apologize.  I've gotten used to that by now. :smirk:

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Amazon Shop for: Petri Dish

General Interest >> Political Discussion