Home | Community | Message Board

Edabea
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Loc: Arizona
Mushrooms & Moss: A Fungi Photo-Shoot
    #1801985 - 08/11/03 04:07 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

I don?t know what any of these are, but I?m not looking for ID?s. I have lost the desire to give a name to everything I find for some reason. I guess I just don?t see the point.

I do still love to photograph mushrooms, though. I think they make excellent subject material! I hope you all enjoyed these pics, and if you want to try ID?ing any of them, then go for it.

Peace,

RebelSteve

--------------------
Namaste.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinewhole9
LOVE ME BITCH

Re: Mushrooms & Moss: A Fungi Photo-Shoot [Re: RebelSteve33]
    #1801997 - 08/11/03 04:12 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

kewl pics, a little blury but good backrounds =D

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: Mushrooms & Moss: A Fungi Photo-Shoot [Re: whole9]
    #1802043 - 08/11/03 04:25 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

thanks man! :laugh:

i wish they were a bit more clear myself.  i think it's b/c i was using a macro lens without a tripod of any sort.

i've read that a tripod is necessary when doing macro photography, but i don't understand how i could use a tripod when taking pictures of mushrooms.  do they make mini-tripods???

any photographers here who could offer advice? 

--------------------
Namaste.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1802112 - 08/11/03 04:37 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Those are great photos.

The only focus problem I see is the big one you get with closeup lenses - you don't have much depth of field. The best way I know of to increase the depth of field for a photograph is to stop the lens down (use as high an f/ number as you can). The higher your f/ stop, the greater the depth of field you'll have. Of course, if you want a low depth of field, then you should open your lens up as much as possible.

If you've ever seen photographs taken with a pinhole camera, they have very near infinite depth of field. All those great scenery photos by Ansel Adams (look him up if you don't know - you'll recognize his work)? He did most all of his stuff at f/64.

As far as IDs, the first one is an Ascomycete (cup fungus), the second is probably a Mycena, the third is a Russula, and I would start my guessing on the fourth with Hygrophorus.

Keep up the good work, and Happy Mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleRebelSteve33
Amateur Mycologist
Male

Re: Mushrooms & Moss: A Fungi Photo-Shoot [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1802157 - 08/11/03 04:47 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

hey man, thanks for the advice and the compliments.

i will keep the f/ stop thing in mind the next time i take photos with my nikkon.  the thing with these photos is that i think i was forced to use a pretty low f/ stop because the lighting was pretty bad.

also, the macro lens i was using was a 55mm one.  do the 100mm macro lenses give a better depth of field?

thanks again, toxicman! :laugh:

--------------------
Namaste.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1802443 - 08/11/03 06:07 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

A longer focal length should give you better depth of field. The depth of field is proportional to the focal length, so doubling the focal length (all other things being equal) should double the depth of field. A longer focal length means you will be farther from your subject, also. If the focal length is double, then you should be twice as far away to get the same shot.

Keep in mind that there is also a good side to a low depth of field. If your subject is in focus and everything else is not, then all the attention in the photograph will be automatically on your subject. That tends to be used more in protrait photography, but it applies to nature (mushroom) photography too.

As far as the low light, of course faster films help - and the newer films are much better than they were even 10 years ago. Probably the biggest thing you can do is find a way to get more light on your subject. You can bring a light with you (this gets heavy and expensive pretty quickly), or I know people who will bring a big piece or two of white poster board (in the bottom of their basket for hunting) that they use like reflectors to get more light from the sun. One person even got a white unbrella that she carries with her and can use like a reflector.

The other thing you can leave as a variable in your photography to get those high f/ numbers is your shutter speed. I know people who take photographs with shutter speed on the order of 5 or 10 seconds to get the depth of field they want.

Yes, they have mini tripods. Check out your local Best Buy or WalMart or even an official camera store. They've got some that fold down to under a foot long.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineAbracadabra
TetraHydraCannibinol
Loc: North Carolina, US
Re: Mushrooms & Moss: A Fungi Photo-Shoot [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1802587 - 08/11/03 06:50 PM (13 years, 4 months ago)

Very nice pictures, I don't mind the little bit of fuzzyness. Good Job

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification