Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Loc: NSW, Australia.
Too many pics of Aussie fauna & fungi
    #1465811 - 04/16/03 11:09 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Due to the recent rains, I thought I'd go on another expedition today. I got lost, but I got heaps of photographs! Believe it or not, all of these were taken today.

If anyone has anything interesting to tell me about any of these, I'd love to hear it.

Also thought I should mention that anyone is welcome to use my photographs, as long as they let me know first! I've got high-res versions of all of them if anyone wants to see.

The third mushroom in this set was very interesting. Growing on eucaypt mulch & hay

A peacock, a kookaburra and couple of 'roos.

An emu, a frill-necked lizard (I think), and a very cool looking mushroom. Some type of Amanita, I suspect (?).

The bolette on the far right bruied very blue very easily

See all those things hanging from the trees? ...They're giant vampire bats...nah, just kidding. They're big bats all right, though. Flying foxes.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Too many pics of Aussie fauna & fungi [Re: oO_wombat_Oo]
    #1465821 - 04/16/03 11:11 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I meant "The bolete on the left, not the right".

OfflineRemy
Bitches Brew
 User Gallery

Loc: Atlanta, GA
    #1465830 - 04/16/03 11:13 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Wow Man! Great pics! Wish I was in australia  :grin:

InvisibleGumby
Fishnologist
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1465831 - 04/16/03 11:13 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Hahahaha giant vamipre bats... Hell yeah dude. Those pictures bring back some good memories of my visit to Australia. You live in an amazing country. Very nice pictures, keep them coming :smile:

Were the emu and peacock wild or at a zoo/someone's pets?

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Too many pics of Aussie fauna & fungi [Re: Gumby]
    #1465884 - 04/16/03 11:30 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

The emu, peacock and 'roos were all inside reserve bushland.

Is there any chance that one I suspected is an Amanita could be Amanita constrica?

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Too many pics of Aussie fauna & fungi [Re: Gumby]
    #1465908 - 04/16/03 11:38 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Cool stuff, nice photos.

I like the really wrinkly looking ones in the 7th set. I've certainly not seen any looking like those locally.

Your suspected Amanita sure has a greenish tinge to it (at least on my monitor). That leads me to suspect it could be Amanita phalloides. Has that species been found in Australia?

Interesting specimens.

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Too many pics of Aussie fauna & fungi [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1465926 - 04/16/03 11:45 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Hmmm...I didn't really notice any green tinge when I photographed it. Amanita phalloides, eh? I hear they're pretty good to eat. :wink: Just kidding. I thought maybe the cap was too brown to be a death cap?

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
    #1465951 - 04/16/03 11:56 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Is the bolete in the 8th set of piccies possibly Boletus amygdalinus? Also, can anyone confirm if that other one is an Amanita (either phalloides or constrica)?

Edited by oO_wombat_Oo (04/16/03 11:58 PM)

OfflineMitchnast
Toadmonger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Okanagan
    #1466143 - 04/17/03 01:37 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

thats not a frilled lizard man... that there be a dragon.
a bearded dragon to be presice
thatt one solitary (especially vibrant) specimine would sell for about $500 in canada ill weiger,
about the ame a youed expect a frilled lizard to go for... bearded dragons are far more popular tho, and cheap when young.
they make facinating pets. they are even cuddly

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: Too many pics of Aussie fauna & fungi [Re: Mitchnast]
    #1466214 - 04/17/03 02:45 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

if thats a bearded dragon then thats the most colorfull one ive ever seen. all the ones ive seen(and yes ive seen a full grown male in breeding season) never had those super dark stripes. and most bearded dragons have much more squat flat bodies than that. i dont know what it is but i highly doubt its a bearded dragon. maybe its a close australian relative? peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

OfflinePaid
Pict
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
Re: Too many pics of Aussie fauna & fungi [Re: blaze2]
    #1466251 - 04/17/03 03:27 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Dam Australinas fauna always makes me wont to emigrate :-)
Bloody aussies wouldnt have me though :tongue:

Nice pictures.

--------------------

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Too many pics of Aussie fauna & fungi [Re: Paid]
    #1466336 - 04/17/03 05:29 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Sure we would...bet then again, I'm not in charge.

OfflinePaid
Pict
 User Gallery

Loc: Zone ate
    #1466465 - 04/17/03 07:06 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Nope Visa refused in the late 80s :tongue: lol

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1466479 - 04/17/03 07:21 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

If the Amanita were a phalloides then it would be a pretty dark one. Here is a photo of a fairly dark one. I don't necessarily think yours is phalloides, it's just a possibility.

If you looked at the Mykoweb photo of Amanita constricta then I can definitely see why you might suspect that. Did your specimen have a ring on the stem? Your photo seems to show bits of partial veil hanging from the edges of the cap. Amanita constricta doesn't have a partial veil, so no ring. It also has a very distinctive volva/stem base.

In general we need to see the stem base and volva to identify Amanitas. The odor is also very important. When picking them be sure to get the entire base - many of them have rooting bases that can extend into the soil several inches.

Without seeing the base of the stem and underside of the cap it's unlikely we can confirm whether it's an Amanita or not.

Based on your photo and the Mykoweb photo of Boletus amygdalinus I don't think it is. The pores look too yellow (not reddish/orangish enough) and the stem doesn't look reddish enough. For a bolete identification we need to start with the spore print color, the surface of the stem, and whether the stem is hollow or not. Also important are the appearance of the pores, bruising reactions, and taste of the flesh of the cap.

If you picked the ones you want identified then we'll be able to get more details and possibly identify them. Otherwise we're only going to be guessing unless they happen to be one of the more distinctive and unusual mushrooms.

From a conservation perspective it's OK to pick the mushrooms. You are not harming the organism by doing so. It's similar to picking fruit from a tree or berries from a bush. So if you find something interesting, go ahead a pick it and bring it home so you can look at it in more detail and figure out what it is. Make sure you get the entire mushroom. Every time I go on a foray I try to bring back 1 or 2 mushrooms I don't know so I can study and learn them.

The things you want to avoid are digging enough to damage the mycelium (it takes a lot of digging) or damaging the habitat (by, for example, smashing rotting logs). Habitat destruction is the primary cause for most things to go extinct.

If you were to go through an area and systematically pick every mushroom that came up and keep doing it for several years you might eventually damage the mushroom population. But you'd have to keep at it almost every day. Once the cap and partial veil opens it takes most mushrooms only a few hours to discharge millions of airborne spores.

Maybe you know all that, but I'm hoping some others might also see this bit. Some people seem afraid that they'll harm the mushrooms by picking them. Actual studies seem to show that it doesn't matter whether the mushrooms are picked or not.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Anonymous

#1466508 - 04/17/03 07:41 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Too many pics of Aussie fauna & fungi [Re: ]
    #1468242 - 04/17/03 05:58 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

:smile: Thanks Mr. Mushrooms.

Toxicman: I was actually avoiding picking them, but I won't anymore. Only interesting ones though, otherwise I wouldn't be able to walk home.

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Loc: orbit
    #1468688 - 04/17/03 09:23 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I can identify one of those top three red-capped woodloving mushrooms as Stropharia Aurantiaca. Eat it and you will not poo solid for days.

--------------------

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Too many pics of Aussie fauna & fungi [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #1468706 - 04/17/03 09:31 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I thought the one in the middle was Hypholama aurantiaca - is that the one you were thinking of too?

Offlineruskifile
droog

Loc: nowhere
Re: Too many pics of Aussie fauna & fungi [Re: Zen Peddler]
    #1474097 - 04/19/03 07:04 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

excellent pics, wombat  :wink:

....you must live out in the sticks for those emu/roo shots hehe

you mean like this one, bm?? aurantica I think

--------------------
(zhukov in a previous life....)

2SER FM underground radio

Edited by ruskifile (04/19/03 07:07 PM)

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Re: Too many pics of Aussie fauna & fungi [Re: ruskifile]
    #1477347 - 04/20/03 08:06 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Definately Aurantiaca but im not sure if its Stropharia or Hypholoma - according to this site is is now classified as Stropharia:

http://www.hiddenforest.co.nz/fungi/family/strophariaceae/strophariaceae.htm#aurantiaca

--------------------

OfflineFina
Banana Spacegirl

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
Re: Too many pics of Aussie fauna & fungi [Re: blaze2]
    #1481491 - 04/22/03 03:25 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

The lizard in the picture is a Water Dragon. They are pretty common along the east coast of Australia, usually found in or beside creeks and rivers. The bearded dragon which has become a popular pet, especially in America is found in the deserts of central Australia.
Nice pictures Wombat... :smile:
Went out for a hunt today and found a few scattered Ps. subaeruginosa but were still to small to pick. The weather in Sydney has been perfect though and there were literally thousands of interesting shrooms about.
We also found a baby Red Bellied Black Snake sitting beside a creek. Seeing as it's quite cold he wasn't moving very much and let us get very close to him. We decided to take a picture and he obviously didn't like the flash because he suddenly reared up and flattened his neck, like a cute little (angry) mini-cobra. He was sort of trapped in between us and started darting around in frustration. I believe baby snakes are still just as venomous as their parents so we decided to stop upsetting him and get on with our hunt.... :smile:

--------------------
"On the last day of your life,
Don't forget to die." -- Silver Jews

Anonymous

Re: Too many pics of Aussie fauna & fungi [Re: Fina]
    #1481630 - 04/22/03 06:07 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

aren't those like the 2nd or 3rd most venomous snakes in the world...I wouldn't get too close if I were you...and ya from what the croc hunter has told me :P the little ones are just as venomous as the big ones....god I love the croc hunter!

Offlinejimbu
jimbu
Male
Loc: nsw, australia
    #1481670 - 04/22/03 06:44 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

red bellied blacks are regarded as poisonous but not 'lethal'... there aren't all that many incidents involving them, and when there are, most are caused by inappropriate action on the human side (eg. trying to kill the snake). they're fairly non-aggressive, and on the few occassions i've encountered them they've avoided me and taken off in the other direction before i've gotten within 5m of them.

snakes are cool! it's spiders which are scary :tongue:

OfflineoO_wombat_Oo
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Too many pics of Aussie fauna & fungi [Re: jimbu]
    #1481687 - 04/22/03 06:57 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah, they're "good" snakes. Of course, all snakes are good, but red bellies are quite a benifit to have around your land/camp. Apparantly they are enemies with brown snakes (one of the top few most poisonous in the word - can be deadly, and very aggressive towards humans to boot), and in addition, they're not much threat to people because they are shy and unagressive.

OfflineFina
Banana Spacegirl

Loc: Sydney, NSW, Australia
    #1481747 - 04/22/03 07:39 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Usually when I encounter a red bellies they head off in the other direction once you are within a few metres of them.
This little baby didn't move though as the cold weather probably made him quite sluggish. I was in front of him and my boy was crouching behind him less than a metre away so he must have felt trapped, hence the threat display. It was quite impressive for such a little snake. I don't know if he was really thinking about having a go at us, but I gave him a little more space when he started rearing up. :smile:
They are considered potentially dangerous, but rarely deadly. And they do eat brown snakes... and feral mice and rats (which are much more of a nuisance than snakes.)

--------------------
"On the last day of your life,
Don't forget to die." -- Silver Jews

Anonymous

Re: Too many pics of Aussie fauna & fungi [Re: Fina]
    #1481881 - 04/22/03 09:01 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

well I did a quick google search and your right they aren't one of the more venomous snakes...I swear I saw the croc hunter say its venom is "super toxic" or something...lol I still love him even if he was wrong..and I love snakes too...those brown snakes are huge! ...whats the diff between the common brown and king brown btw? they look the same to me

Offlineruskifile
droog

Loc: nowhere
    #1483421 - 04/22/03 05:54 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I found this comparison..

Common or Eastern Brown snake

Length:
to 2m.

Identification:
adults, back any shade of brown, sometimes black or dark grey and occasionally banded; belly cream with pink or orange flecks or blotches. Young invariably have head with red or orange band separating it from matt black band on neck. Narrow, black body bands often present.

Venom:
strongly neurotoxic and haemotoxic; the second most toxic land snake venom known.

Notes:
potentially dangerous; apply first aid and seek urgent medical attention for all suspected bites; responsible for many human deaths. pugnacious; rears up in distinctive "S" shape and strikes repeatedly, if provoked

(this is why it is also called the 'false-cobra; due to the 'S' shape springing action whereby it can spring forward to strike. I saw one do this on my uncle's property where it had invaded the house perimeter fence, but he mananged to blast it in half with a shotgun...er don't tell the National Parks they're protected  :grin: they can get aggressive in summer when it's humid...)

King Brown or Mulga snake

Length:
to 3m.

Identification:
heavily built with wide head; back various shades of brown to olive-green, belly cream.

Venom:
strongly haemotoxic.

Notes:
potentially dangerous; ready biter; apply first aid and seek urgent medical attention for all suspected bites; responsible for human deaths.

The differences appear to be the King Brown is more heavily built, and lacks orange spots/blotches on belly of the Common Brown

from Dangerous land snakes of Queensland

--------------------
(zhukov in a previous life....)

2SER FM underground radio

Offlinejono
misc.
Loc: Sydney, Australia
    #1484469 - 04/22/03 10:05 PM (20 years, 11 months ago)

Excellent photos Wombat, thanks for sharing them!

Where exactly in Australia are you? Im over on the North Side of Sydney, so no emus, or roos near me :frown:

My parents live at the blue mountains, and I always used to play in the bushland near my house when I was growing up.. catching water dragons and skinks and turtles etc (letting them go afterwards of course).

Im not sure what the scientific name of that lizard is,  but I always called them "Water dragons", and caught a lot of them when I was younger... they use to always hang out near the banks of creeks, and often shoot off into the water once they saw you coming.. and they could get up a bit of pace and sort of run on two legs if I remember correctly!

Anyway nice photos, thanks again!

WIth Metta,
Jono. 

--------------------
Our problem results from acting like cowboys on a limitless frontier when in truth we inhabit a living spaceship with a finely balanced life-support system." David C. Korton

InvisibleZen Peddler
Male User Gallery

Re: Too many pics of Aussie fauna & fungi [Re: jono]
    #1485266 - 04/23/03 04:12 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

I think Australia has nine of the ten most poisonous snakes in the world with The desert Taipan as number one.
Red-bellied black snakes and copper heads are nice when compared to bloody tigers that rush at you during the breeding season and scare your stoned arse!

--------------------

Anonymous

Re: Too many pics of Aussie fauna & fungi [Re: ruskifile]
    #1485526 - 04/23/03 09:02 AM (20 years, 11 months ago)

- Post History Deleted Upon User's Request -

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Topicals   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale