Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Mini-bulk PRETZEL TUB FC.
    #17957187 -

About a month ago, I had 4x 4oz PF jars.  They are called "Ball Jelly Jars", and like every pf jar, it stalled out on me.  I got tired of it, and decided I wasn't going to take it any more.

I found an empty LARGE pretzel tub, and figured out where I could cut it up so that the "lid" nested into the base.  I had some bulk sub left over from other projects...coir/verm processed with Damion5050's bucket tek...in a large igloo cooler.

I got a new tooth brush, and followed standard clean procedures (washed my hands).  I dumped the jars one at a time into my hands, and used the toothbrush to clean off any and all unconsumed brf mix.  Did I tell you yet that I hate pf cakes.  They are almost worse than having an infant child in the house.  I then crumbled and mixed with coir/verm.  I made sure there was a trash bag in the bottom.  I did not want side/bottom pinning. 

As it came time to fruit I cased with a light layer of straight coir.  Yes, I understand what casing is.  I used coco-coir as a casing.  No there has yet to be anything resembling overlay. 

Overall the design is pretty generic.  Just about everyone here has seen every type of plastic bottle/recycling center Fruiting chamber.  I mist when the coir looked dry.  I did not fan once.  I think that with this small a "tray" that it quickly looses moisture.  I gave more than a few very wet mistings.  The "Top" of the tub had one 3/8" hole in the lid, polyfilled, and a row of 1/4" holes just above the substrate the whole way around.

The first flush happened 8 days ago.  The fruits were not tall, but not terribly thick.  They were however dense.  This may be attributed to the cooler temps I keep things at during fruiting.  Its not that I want it to be in the high 60s/low 70s, its just winter and I couldn't be bothered.

Today I get in the door and look and saw them ready to go again.  This time the fruits are a good deal larger, but again they are very very DENSE. 

This was "African Transkei" branded.  It grew slow from the start, and I am glad that my projects involving it are finished.  It was a MS inoculation, and the spores were old.  This could be the culprit, but either way...I am not revisiting this.  Overall, from what I have seen cubes are damn near identical across all the nifty little "strains".  There may be minor differences, but not enough to impress me to go with one over the other.  (Penis Envy is different)  Overall this project though "small" showed IDENTICAL progress to similar projects that may or may not be larger and/or in proper fruiting chambers using the same spores.

TL:DR

Lack of full colonization of a simple 4 oz PF style jar. 
Slow colonization of bulk substrate
Slow growth to first flush
Fast time to second flush? (8 days)
More-or-less total lack of care/borderline neglect.

Picts or it didn't happen.




the lighter is closer to the camera than the fruits themselves.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mini-bulk PRETZEL TUB FC. [Re: HypnotoadCroaked]
    #17960409 -

Post a dry weight please. I have been running mini bulks and am interested to compare results. I usually scrap after 1st flush

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mini-bulk PRETZEL TUB FC. [Re: Roflspammer]
    #17960483 -

I dunno how you cant get pf cakes jars to finish colinising. Stallin can come from lack of gas exchange, overly wet mix or contamination.

though you did manage to get something out of it. Thumbs up.

From a mini bulk i did using horse manure and fully colinised pf cakes, i got about 16g dry on the first flush, then around 10g on the 2nd flush. i tried for a third but it didnt really happen.

it was 2 1/2 pint cakes spawned to 1 pint of horse manure with some verm in it for water.


--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mini-bulk PRETZEL TUB FC. [Re: veda_sticks]
    #17962768 -

Roflspammer said:
Post a dry weight please.



I don't have any way to do that.  I don't own a scale.  Not joking either.  The third flush is starting to come in as we speak.

veda_sticks said:
I dunno how you cant get pf cakes jars to finish colinising. Stallin can come from lack of gas exchange, overly wet mix or contamination.




I am using smaller jars.  I can't see why smaller jars would not colonize faster.  I don't "measure" .25 ml per hole.  I add a drop per hole (4 holes per pf tek).  It is generally about .5 ml/cake.  I blame the spores.  They start slow, the LC go slow, and they colonize slow.  MS or LC seems to not matter on bit.  Old spores is the best I can make of it.  They were not from a sponsor, and I cannot say how/what condition they were in before they were obtained by me.  When I say that they never finish, there is always a bit where they just wont come together.  the un-colonized area was literally like a double D cleavage.  Just a small spot in between a mass of goodness.  I have literally started tossing them into a tub with peat casing after cleaning off the little amounts that refuse to colonize.  There is no signs of contamination of the cakes.  I can't figure it out either, and frankly I don't care to.  I have 4 different sized cakes in a tub right now fruiting like mad.  Each one of them needed some "cleaning" of un-colonized areas. They range in size from 4oz to a full quart.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mini-bulk PRETZEL TUB FC. [Re: HypnotoadCroaked]
    #17962802 -

Get a scale. I have an AWS Blade scale that reads up to 100g at .100th of a gram.

playing around with it, an easy stream of my breath weighs around 2.6g.. theyre needed when the difference of 'breath weight' could be 3.5g or a 5g menace


--------------------
 
My Level 5 Trip Report
Having a Troubled Grow? Read This!
Capn Blue Beards Brothel -  Old Grow Log
"I honestly dont grow drugs. I just try to provide them the perfect environment, they have to grow themselves."- MoGrow
** I have been gone for 10 months, any and all information I supply could be old, wrong and unintentionally fictional. I apologize for this in advance and recommend you wait for more information before settling on my advice.**

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mini-bulk PRETZEL TUB FC. [Re: Capn Blue Beard]
    #17962805 -

Oh and that grow looks awesome! Kudos


--------------------
 
My Level 5 Trip Report
Having a Troubled Grow? Read This!
Capn Blue Beards Brothel -  Old Grow Log
"I honestly dont grow drugs. I just try to provide them the perfect environment, they have to grow themselves."- MoGrow
** I have been gone for 10 months, any and all information I supply could be old, wrong and unintentionally fictional. I apologize for this in advance and recommend you wait for more information before settling on my advice.**

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mini-bulk PRETZEL TUB FC. [Re: Capn Blue Beard]
    #17963284 -

sounds like bacterial contamination possible.

if your inoc procedures are good, then its got to be a syringe problem. And yes 1/4 inch cakes should colinise faster.

Try using a sponsor for your syringes. I recomended trying to take prints aswell so you can make your own syringes. Its fairly easy to make a clean enough print to use for your grows


--------------------

PF TEK - writeup by EvilMushroom666
Lets Grow Mushrooms - RogerRabbit & RoadKills website with sample videos plus the full PF TEK video series. Alot of great information - BUY THE DVD
Cakes can and will pin! - So you think cakes suck for pins. Your wrong
Franks Simple Coir/Verm Tek
Franks Proper Pasturisation Tek
Franks Spawning To Bulk - Monotub
Professor Pinheads RTV Injection Port Tek
Foo Mans No Soak WBS Prep Tek

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mini-bulk PRETZEL TUB FC. [Re: veda_sticks]
    #17963484 -

veda_sticks said:
sounds like bacterial contamination possible.




Fresh Mushrooms is all I smell, and there are none of the symptoms of bacterial or other contamination.  My last 4oz jar as example had nothing at all indicating any infections.  No orange, black, green or wet spots.  It smelled great.  It got tossed into the "scrap" bin, and was covered over with peat.  It right now is pinning like mad..No dunk, no roll in verm...washed in the sink, and dumped into the tub....but It was inoculated 01-17, so it had almost 6 weeks...after 4 it basically just sat there.  I used a sharpie and figured after 2 weeks it actually had not moved.  It is quite possible that  the dry and cold winter air is causing these issues.  Frankly at this juncture I don't care.  I don't have the time to babysit cakes.  Bulk is the cats-meow, and doing me much much better.  As I use cakes to test LC, Im just covering them with peat, and letting mother nature nurture them...I give a spray of water every few days as the peat looks dry on the edges.  PF cakes are hit/miss.  There seems to be ongoing debates about correct amounts of water etc when making cakes.  Some make them more moist than others depending on use. 

Also, you may have been onto something with the source of the spores.  They were not from a trusted sponsor, but they certainly were what they indicated.  I do not know the age of the spores or the condition they were stored in.  Using the MS with this batch direct from the syringe was a total crap shoot.  My first attempts were literally 50% failure to inoculate.  Half of my inoculations went without growth.  I switched this "strain" up to the liquid culture so that I could see growth, and know that I was working with something that was more than partially alive.  Since Ive switched this "batch" over to LC the success rate has almost doubled to 100%.  It still don't seem to make things faster.  Winter?  Ehhh, its ok.  The fruits are thick and meaty, and dried out they taste similar to sunflower seeds and have a great texture.  OH  ya, they get you crunked too.  Really crunked. 

Capn Blue Beard said:
Get a scale.



Im pondering getting another ohaus triple beam.  I had one over a decade ago, but gave it away when I no longer needed it.  Digi-scales are cheap enough, but there is nothing like a real scale.  I seem to be a victim of being "old school".

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mini-bulk PRETZEL TUB FC. [Re: HypnotoadCroaked]
    #17963782 -

How did you get such a nice canopy and so many fruits like that? I am a noob and this is what I have gotten so far:



No where near as neat and nice looking as yours

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Mini-bulk PRETZEL TUB FC. [Re: Roflspammer]
    #17964211 -

Roflspammer said:
How did you get such a nice canopy and so many fruits like that? I am a noob and this is what I have gotten so far:




Ill be totally honest, I made this with my "first" batch of grows.  It could be moisture related.  I have a total of 32oz of colonized substrate at 2 1/2 inches deep.  The first flush produced very small caps, and as it seems apparent across the board, first flushes can look and act funny.  I did use an abundant amount of fresh air exchange, and was not shy from putting 1/4th inch holes every inch or so around the circumference of the "top" of the tub, and at substrate level.  I cased the colonized substrate with straight coco-coir, and kept it moist at all times.  I think I misted it every 2-3 days as it looked like it needed it...I used well water.

The smaller fruiting chambers are novel, but larger mass gives more even control of moisture loss.  This is my first of many "inedible" experiments.  I have kept portabella and oysters in the past, and in some ways the experience there made this one quite reasonable.

I don't know what to say to point you in a direction that could give you better yields except to increase the overall mass of your substrate.  Depth at 2+ inches is optimal.  4 or more inches may be too much, but certainly increase your mass.  I am having lots of luck with a cool-whip container (similar size) inside a plastic tub with the lid propped open.  Keep as close to 1:1 spawn to bulk for faster colonization.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* zero-maintenance mini bulk? need advice! MeckaDa 2,606 18 05/13/06 04:01 PM
by MeckaDa
* My Mini Bulk... buckallyall 1,550 6 04/23/06 11:57 PM
by cappa
* What's in your FC?
( 1 2 all )
coda 3,308 32 06/19/06 07:52 AM
by Oatman2000
* Will my tubs work for Double Tub tek? MycoJunkie 2,219 10 12/21/04 05:12 PM
by scatmanrav
* Question about Tub growing MushroomMarkk 694 4 05/07/06 10:59 PM
by skeletor
* What size FC for 2 Quarts of Popcorn? Solidcell 1,232 12 01/25/06 04:33 PM
by tiny_rabid_birds
* Incubating bulk trays: A question of lighting mushroommark 3,238 11 06/13/05 05:31 PM
by flow
* bulk question yoshikuni 454 2 02/19/05 01:01 PM
by dobinky

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Shroomism, george castanza, RogerRabbit, veggie, mushboy, fahtster, the_chosen_one, LogicaL Chaos, 13shrooms, hamloaf, cronicr, Stipe-n Cap, Pastywhyte, bodhisatta, Tormato, Land Trout, A.k.a
1,326 topic views. 5 members, 67 guests and 149 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.027 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.