Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineresin
Ghetto Monster
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ca$hville
Lawn Id needed
    #1787840 - 08/07/03 11:48 AM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I have a few mushrooms popping up in my front yard.
Cap: 3 3/4" open.Its light brown in the center and fades to a grey(most of the cap is grey) in the middle and then at the very outer ring of the mushroom it fades into a grey color. Smooth cap, no veil, white gills.

Stem: Not attached to gills. 4" long and 1/2-3/4" thick. Solid stem that breaks like celery. No bruise after 30 minutes. Solid white stem, that smelled weakly like earth(not a potent stench). The print was white, to tan white. What do I have here?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Lawn Id needed [Re: resin]
    #1787888 - 08/07/03 12:13 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

What shape is the cap? Does it have an umbo (a bump in the middle above where the stem attaches)? Is it dry or moist or sticky or slimy? Does the stem have a bulb (enlargement) at the bottom? Does it have a volva (sac of tissue around the base of the stem - some volvas consist of rings or flakes of material that may mostly or entirely fall off in age)? What kind of trees are they near? Are they growing singly or with a couple or few from a common base? Is the flesh of the cap thin (like the gills) or thicker?

Could you verify that the gills are free by cutting one in half vertically?

Your description is better than most. But it still leaves it a bit indefinite. The obvious genera to start in are Amanita, Lepiota, and Collybia. Each of those have various satellite genera we may end up in.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlineresin
Ghetto Monster
Male User Gallery

Re: Lawn Id needed [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1787998 - 08/07/03 12:47 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks man. The print dryed and is light pink. I can now see the pinkish color in the gills also. It has a bump on the top of the cap where it is brown.It has a smooth dry cap that feels rubbery. The flesh of cap Is thicker than the gills, I measured the cross section and the cap flesh at its thickest(the center of the cap) is 1/2 centimeter(not including gills. Including gills its a centimeter thick. A few will pop up here and there. There is no trees around it, but there used to be a tree in the yard. They cut the tree, then the stump down, and now all around it the ground is sinking, I geuss the roots are rotting and mushrooms grow in this area. They grow about 5 feet from where the tree used to be. I do not know the tree type but would suggest oak. I made a crossection from a mushroom and no, the gills are not attached to the stem. They have neither a bulb, nor vulva and are growing singilly a few feet apart from each other. Thanks for the help toxicman, your the best in the forum

Edited by resin (08/07/03 01:10 PM)

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1788205 - 08/07/03 01:44 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

When you got the spore print, did you get a good heavy deposit? With a light deposit it's possible it appears lighter in color than a heavy one might.

A salmon pink deposit would suggest that you've got Pluteus cervinus or one of its close relatives.

A very pale (almost white) pink deposit would suggest a Collybia, probably close to Collybia dryophila. Note that this species is extremely variable in appearance, so finding a photo or two that look different doesn't mean it's not that. For example, compare the photos here to the photos here (check the ones in the links near the bottom of the page, too).

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlineresin
Ghetto Monster
Male User Gallery

#1788291 - 08/07/03 02:05 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Now At a better look it appears peach in color. It got a decent spore deposit, pretty dark

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1788407 - 08/07/03 02:36 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Probably the Collybia then.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlineresin
Ghetto Monster
Male User Gallery

#1788678 - 08/07/03 03:33 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

I looked at like 50 collybia photos and none looked like this mushroom. It looked like a cube without a veil.Its not a small mushroom at all. The print is tannish almost peach(Its so damn hard to tell the color). I know it dosent really matter (probaly not edible, not active) But if you want to you can geuss again. Ive seen different mushrooms appear at differemt parts of the year all in the same spot

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
    #1788837 - 08/07/03 04:14 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

OK, how about Melanoleuca alboflavida?

There are several Melanoleucas that are somewhat similar in appearance. Many of them often have pale caps. For example Melanoleuca cognata.

Some of the photos I've seen make then look like small mushrooms, but some of them can be over 6 inches across.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

Offlineresin
Ghetto Monster
Male User Gallery

#1789679 - 08/07/03 08:27 PM (13 years, 10 months ago)

Its the Pluteus cervinus man, you got it. I let it sit an hour and DAMn the print darkened up. I cannot even see any lines where the gills were, its just a solid salmon pink circle.Thanks for the id.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification