Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Loc: The Canadian west coast
musicians are geniuses! NOT!!!
    #1747752 - 07/25/03 10:58 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

It's funny how musicians are the people we look to to tell us really deep stuff. They sit there on an interview with MTV people and the people ask them

"so, what's your philosophy of life?"

and the musician is like "well, I am a really deep thinker, because I am a musician." And then the musicians launch into some lame little conversatian about some kinda lame spiritual ideas they came up with that is really boring like "We shouldn't hurt eachother and we should all do our best to get along." And the crowd is sitting there thinking "I've never heard anything so true!" And they sit around and feel like the world is changing, except it's NOT!!

It's funny.. musicians are always promoting groovy stuff like world peace, or anti-corporate whatever, and people jump on the bandwagon because they relate, and then they go to a big concert to hear the musicians play, and everybody gets optimistic that finally the world is going to turn into heaven, but it never does. That must be frustrating for people who get their hopes up and don't see through the bullshit that is music.

Things music can do:

rock us out
make cool beats
make you feel like someone's talking directly to you
come up with rad ways of saying stuff

Things music can't do:

change the way anyone sees the world
make the world a better place
enlighten us

So why is it that musicians are always going for the things it can't do? When Radiohead plays their songs with all the enlightening lyrics with obscure ant-power structure bits thrown in is it really any different than "doo-wop, baby I love your car, and my toes and the world is so wonderful we'll always be in loooooove baaaabyyyeeee." not really cause it doesn't change anything. Both songs make you feel good about stsuff, whether it's the love that will never ever go away (that would be scary! HELP!) or that the world is rising into a new " consciousness." But of course, radiohead has way cooler beats.

So isn't it weird that in our culture musicians are the brilliant people with all the messages? I think it's time musicians gave that shit up, cause none of them have a lot to say, and lyrics just get in the way and hide the lack of musical skill.. Unless it's hip-hop. Then it's all about lyrics.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: musicians are geniuses! NOT!!! [Re: Dogomush]
    #1747772 - 07/25/03 11:04 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

most musicians on mtv arent really musicians. most of them are a pretty face propped up by a badass producer who never gets recognized.

and yeah, I know some real talented musicians who are quite dumb, but for the most part, I would say that the average musician has a bit higher intelligence than most people.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #1747774 - 07/25/03 11:05 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Damn straight... lets just outlaw music... and dancing... and book reading.. and free thinking... and anything else you don't agree with while we are at it... lets all bow down to you and your almighty vision of the way the world should be. We can all go around and kick cars as they drive by on the road, drink beer, act stupid, moon old ladies, piss in the gutter, and judge those that are different from ourselves. We know that our way is better... that we are better than anybody else. I'm all with you... where do I sign up?

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisiblebuckwheat
Cynically Insane

Loc: Not Enough Characters to ...
    #1747787 - 07/25/03 11:09 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

first of all if they are on mtv they arnt the greatest musicians. not all are geniuses but some were ie jim morrison. and dude your talking about mtv comercialized music that doesnt count most of the time .eminem i think is lyrisist genius

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Re: musicians are geniuses! NOT!!! [Re: Seuss]
    #1747795 - 07/25/03 11:11 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

sorry to hurt your feelings, seuss. I didn't realize you'd been keeping tabs on me and my posts were pushing you closer and closer to the edge until you snapped and dedicated an entire post to adressing your beef with me. How can we resolve this? How 'bout I only post things you and everybody else agrees with, ok?

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

#1747806 - 07/25/03 11:12 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Or maybe we should fight? I'll be on my bike, and you can have a car.

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

#1747808 - 07/25/03 11:12 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

you've reinspired posting about my hatred for cars.

OfflineBhairabas
Stranger

Loc: Toronto Canada
    #1747820 - 07/25/03 11:16 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Music is supposed to bring you happiness.. If it frustrates you than maybe your paying attention to the wrong aspect of it.. Most of the stuff they play on MTV is shit.. Try digging deeper.. As for music not being able to change the world??? Think what the world would be like without music.. honestly..

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Re: musicians are geniuses! NOT!!! [Re: Bhairabas]
    #1747828 - 07/25/03 11:19 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

uh huh uh huh everybody is focusing on how I said MTV, but I wasn't talking about MTV in particular, I was using MTV to mean "media reporting on music" that includes all media, including super independant really smart media.

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #1747867 - 07/25/03 11:30 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

musicians and songwriters CAN actually set an example by being sincere. Something you don't see alot of these days.
by being sincere they can provide a real experience. an event dedicated to human being and creativity.

you say there is no actuall long-term "spiritual" effect from music?

ok so you think the world would be the same right now if it weren't for the musical movements in our past, and the ones going on right now?

'making beats' -- that is creativity. that is inspiriation. it is contageous. it is not an isolated event that is over when the song is over. it spreads.

i could go on for a long time about all the spiritual benefits of music, but ill stop here.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Loc: In the hen house
    #1747869 - 07/25/03 11:31 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

change the way anyone sees the world
make the world a better place
enlighten us

How 'bout: "Don't Worry; Be Happy!"?

--------------------

The proof is in the pudding.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #1747894 - 07/25/03 11:39 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

:smile:

I am not a moderator or an admin, so I have no say (nor do I want any) on what other people post.

My post was a sarcastic, tongue in cheek, rant.  I try not to bash people, but rather ideas.  I probably shouldn't have wasted the effort, but done is done.

I am nothing special, and an entire post dedicated to you or anybody else from me is no big deal.  I also have no 'beef with you'... I just find some of your thoughts to be immature.  This is my perception, which again, has no special meaning.  I am sure you sleep fine at night regardless of what I think.

You sound like a bright person, but somebody that lacks the wisdom that age brings.  You think outside of the box and challenge the norms.  I appreciate that... it is rare to see somebody that can ignore the media and think on their own.  At the same time you constantly attack everything without care....

What is right... what is wrong... both are in the eye of the beholder.  :smile:

So maybe the effort was worth it...

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: musicians are geniuses! NOT!!! [Re: buckwheat]
    #1747897 - 07/25/03 11:39 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

but some were ie jim morrison

"I'm your back door man.
I'm your back door man.
And you don't know
What the little girls understand."

--------------------

OfflineAlbino_Jesus
Clearly Retarded
 User Gallery

Loc: Construction ahead...
    #1747930 - 07/25/03 11:47 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

can't one just appreciate the cleverness of certain lyrics and relate to what the artist is trying to express without thinking OMIGOD IVE FINALLY FOUND THE ONE TRUE UNIVERSAL TRUTH.

some of us appreciate the art for what it is: art.
one shouldn't dismiss it just because it's not a huge revelation

--------------------
The only difference between the Republican and Democratic parties is the velocities with which their knees hit the floor when corporations knock on their door.
-Ralph Nader

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: musicians are geniuses! NOT!!! [Re: Albino_Jesus]
    #1747945 - 07/25/03 11:52 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

We are stardust,

We are golden.

And we've got to get ourselves

Back to the Garden.

--------------------

OfflineStrumpling
Neuronaut
Loc: Hyperspace
    #1747951 - 07/25/03 11:54 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

musicians are explorers

--------------------
Insert an "I think" mentally in front of eveything I say that seems sketchy, because I certainly don't KNOW much. Also; feel free to yell at me.
In addition: SHPONGLE

InvisibleSwami
Eggshell Walker

Re: musicians are geniuses! NOT!!! [Re: Strumpling]
    #1747961 - 07/25/03 11:56 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah, they like to "explore" the hot female groupies...

--------------------

OfflineDogomush
Barbless Aryan

Re: musicians are geniuses! NOT!!! [Re: Albino_Jesus]
    #1747994 - 07/25/03 12:04 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

yeah, let me clarify that music has a lot going for it, it's rad I love music, but it's not good for everything, so nobody's dismissing music.

Seus: You take this message board too seriously. What's wrong with me coming out and attacking everything? You have a computer and a brain too, and if I can attack things then you can attack my attacks. That's the point of this board, we're exchanging ideas. Sorry if my ideas offend you sometimes, but just cause they do doesn't mean they're immature. I prefer calling some of my posts "not well thought-out." There's a difference. The level of antagonism has nothing to do with maturity.

Y'know what's immature? This: "Damn straight... lets just outlaw music... and dancing... and book reading.. and free thinking... and anything else you don't agree with while we are at it" putting a bunch of words in my post that aren't there at all because I offend you.

Y'know what's mature? When my best friend and I sit around smoking pot talking about the worthlessness of music and musicians when my friend is a very talented musician who's dedicated his life to perfecting his guitar playing. You should learn from his example. In fact, he should become a big time musician who plays on TV and sells his message to millions so that everybody can learn from his greatness and his message can change the world. Put that in your pipe and smoke it.

OfflineDoctorJ
Male

Loc: space
Re: musicians are geniuses! NOT!!! [Re: Swami]
    #1747997 - 07/25/03 12:04 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

who doesnt?

OfflineTheHobbit
Pot Head Pixie

Loc: the Oily Way...
Re: musicians are geniuses! NOT!!! [Re: DoctorJ]
    #1748018 - 07/25/03 12:09 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I like the way music looks when you're very shroomed out. Actually, there's many a musician who does possess genius, like Zappa, Mozart, and Garfunkel.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order