Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]
Home Theatre and Stereo appreciation thread
    #17470779 -

Who here is in love with building and enjoying home stereos?

My dad got me into it when I was young.  He gave me an old Rotel amplifier:



And some old wharfedale speakers:



It was a great introduction to the world of loud stereo.

I've went throw old sony's, cerwin vega, klipsch until I finally bought my first pair of BRAND NEW speakers in 2003.

They were Paradigm Monitor 90ps:



They were incredible.  They had a 500w internal amplifier and had to be individually plugged into the wall as well as my amplifier.  I used the same old Rotel for those badboys.

As most of my equipment, they were sold. :frown:

Just recently, I got ahold of 4 of these Realistic Mach Ones:



I'm not using them right now, but instead my current setup is a pair of Cerwin Vega D8's:



I have some small sound dynamic bookshelf speakers for the rears.  No subwoofer, but the 15" subs in the C.V.'s gives a good amount.

I'm using an old yamaha rx v1070 amplifier with a Rotel RMB-1095 power amp:



I LOVE this amp.  So badass.

I also run an equalizer.

But I feel it's time to get back into the "new".  For years I have been researching what to buy next and I'm VERY confident on my decision to go with the Axiom M80 system:

http://www.axiomaudio.com/epic-80-800-home-theater-system



In about a month I'll be buying this system and i know it's going to be the best thing I have owned yet to date.  I am SO excited.

The feeling I get from setting up and playing around with stereo, to finally getting to put on a cd...it's better then any drug for me!

Post and talk about your systems!  Your dream setup even!


--------------------
.

Edited by Masked (12/30/12 12:36 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Home Theatre and Stereo appreciation thread [Re: Masked]
    #17470802 -

That's pretty awesome. I'm trying to find a new stereo system with a record player, my old one shit out and I wanna go big this time. It's pretty difficult, I found this one on craigslist and threw them some questions but no reponse linkypoo I don't know much about these systems besides it seems incredibly easy to drop a shitload of money in no time :lol:


--------------------
+1 Post ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Home Theatre and Stereo appreciation thread [Re: gzuf]
    #17470819 -

I've heard those Fischer speakers...they are nice vintage equipment.

I just read that ad and it's a really good deal, especially with all the vinyl he's including.

Nab that up.


--------------------
.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Home Theatre and Stereo appreciation thread [Re: Masked]
    #17470825 -

Thanks for the feedback, I just realized he sent me an email back with a price. I think I'll go for it :rockon:


--------------------
+1 Post ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Home Theatre and Stereo appreciation thread [Re: Masked]
    #17470872 -

The Axioms aren't the incredible bargain they used to be five years ago, when they were insanely underpriced, but they are without a doubt still a fantastic speaker for the price. Tough to beat. Maybe not possible to beat. The owner of the company is one very VERY knowledgeable speaker designer. The EP800 subwoofer is just nuts. I don't believe there is another subwoofer out there anywhere at any price that can better it. Seriously.

I sold home stereo for a living for a few years in the early Eighties, in the biggest stereo store in Ottawa, Canada:  Super Clef at the corner of Merivale and Clyde. Most fun job I ever had. We sold everything from Stax to Magnaplanar to Bedini Class A amps to ten thousand dollar speakers (I think it was ADS) whose cabinets were made by Kimball (the piano maker). And believe me, ten grand in 1982 was a LOT of money.

Those were the days.



Phred


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Home Theatre and Stereo appreciation thread [Re: Phred]
    #17470910 -

I'm running two mid 90's Bose full range speakers with 10" subs off of a DaVinci DV-208 1200 watt receiver/amp.

It's horrible that my new apt has so many older owners, the system starts shaking my windows if the volume is pushed passed 3.

I really only use it for my TV now.

I wish I could be loud in here! :crankey:!


--------------------

“[...]the only people for me are the mad ones,
the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk,
mad to be saved,
desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes “Awww!”


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Home Theatre and Stereo appreciation thread [Re: kr0nik0]
    #17471114 -

I've been into the home theater/stereo thing since I was a wee lad.  I worked in HT sales for a little over 4 years as well.

A series of unfortunate events has rendered my current system useless; my receiver stopped working for anything but the headphone out and my left speaker's positive binding post malfunctioned and basically just came off.  There's also a hole in one of the woofers on that same speaker.  It's like a kick in the balls.

I used to be into home theater but over the last couple years I've been a lot more interested in hi-fi stereo.  I'm eventually going to get some Salk SongTowers with the RAAL ribbon tweeter upgrade and a Rythmik F-12 sub.  I'm interested to hear the Rythmik with their fancy direct servo system.

Still not sure which amp, preamp, or DAC I want though.  The whole system's going to be in the $10k range, and I don't see myself getting that kind of loot any time soon so I got plenty of time to think about it :lol:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Home Theatre and Stereo appreciation thread [Re: Phred]
    #17471200 -

wow, i could talk stereo with you for a very long time.

I'm happy you know of axiom.  They seem to be a hidden secret.  That guy you are talking about seems SO incredibly knowledgeable as you say.  I watched a video on their new omnidirectional floorstanding speaker and WOW!

They just started putting out their own power amps too and bryston is definetely helping them I think.

The stats on the EP800 blow my mind.  something like down to 13hz, I just can't fathom it.

10,000 is INSANE for speakers in 1982. 

The most expensive pair I've heard where B&W nautilus series.  They looked like giant seashells or something.  Insane sound imaging and clarity.

I've heard the axioms are great as well for sound imaging.  Have you ever personally heard the M80's?

Hey Kronik:

Are they bose 901's by chance?  I LOVE the bose 901's.  A very decent speaker.  There is a pair on kijiji in my area, in mint condition, for 350.

Yeah, I wouldn't know what I would do if I couldn't turn it up to it's true potential.  As it is, having kids now and such, I rarely get daddy play time with my "toys".

abitsandwich:

That so sucks about your broken stereo.  I'd cry. lol  I'm so paranoid about my kids even going near my equipment.

I have to much equipment just laying around in the basement.  After I get my axiom system, all of it is going to be sold.  And so far, it seems people into "hi fi vintage" equipment are very interested in my realistic mach one's :smile:

I also am looking around for a new preamp and poweramp.  The axiom m80s I'm getting run standard at 4ohm and so the amp needs to be able to handle a steady 4 ohm load without shutting down or overheating.  I think my Rotel RMB-1095 will do the job for now, but after contacting Rotel directly, they didn't seem very confident about it.

Emotiva makes some nice stuff for the price you pay.  Very reasonable price because they sell direct, web only.


--------------------
.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Home Theatre and Stereo appreciation thread [Re: Masked]
    #17471245 -

Masked said:
I'd cry.



Actually, I did. :frown: $1600 Denon and an older pair of JBL towers that were about $700 each... just fancy paperweights.
Fuck I'm getting bummed out just typing about it.

At the very least, the Denon's headphone output still works and it's got a top-notch DAC so my Denon AH-D2000s can still give me good sound when I want it.  But it's still not the same, know what I mean?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Home Theatre and Stereo appreciation thread [Re: abltsandwich]
    #17471284 -

ouch.  I love denon, I just gave away one I wasn't using anymore to a friend.

I have never had much experience with JBL myself.  A hole in your woofer you say though?  on the outer foam area or straight in the middle area?


--------------------
.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Home Theatre and Stereo appreciation thread [Re: abltsandwich]
    #17471289 -

My current system is just about done.  For home theater/movies, I haven't experienced much better than my own.



This is the front stage, with a 70" LED TV.  I'm running an entire, polk 7.1 setup with the RTiA7's as fronts.  It's funny how small the TV looks, but it's a 70", and pretty huge.  The floor standing speakers are almost 4' high.



I have a Yamaha aventage, RX-A2010 receiver, and everything is installed, in wall with the wires hidden.  I'm running a HS VTF 1 12" sub, and EVRYTHING is perfectly positioned.

Overall, I think its about as "high end" as I'll go.  Once 4k TV is implemented I'll probably move to a front projector, and may add another amp for the front stage, but we'll see.


--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Edited by badchad (12/30/12 02:20 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Home Theatre and Stereo appreciation thread [Re: Masked]
    #17471294 -

On the outer edge of the cone.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Home Theatre and Stereo appreciation thread [Re: Masked]
    #17471336 -



:grin:

So excited.  I should be placing my order by the end of January.


--------------------
.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Home Theatre and Stereo appreciation thread [Re: badchad]
    #17471355 -

badchad said:
My current system is just about done.  For home theater/movies, I haven't experienced much better than my own.



This is the front stage, with a 70" LED TV.  I'm running an entire, polk 7.1 setup with the RTiA7's as fronts.  It's funny how small the TV looks, but it's a 70", and pretty huge.  The floor standing speakers are almost 4' high.



I have a Yamaha aventage, RX-A2010 receiver, and everything is installed, in wall with the wires hidden.  I'm running a HS VTF 1 12" sub, and EVRYTHING is perfectly positioned.

Overall, I think its about as "high end" as I'll go.  Once 4k TV is implemented I'll probably move to a front projector, and may add another amp for the front stage, but we'll see.




I like it.  I'm only running 5.1 myself.

I like how you take pride in the setup.  My setup is the same.  I only have a 43" tv though.

My problem is, I'm still in a mode of constantly moving me and my family around.  We always rent houses, but because of horrible decisions I made over a decade ago, my credit is absoulutely horrible.  I'm trying hard to rebuild it so I can get a mortgage for my OWN house.

As soon as that happens, oh boy, is it ON. lol  I have so many plans on how to alter MY house.  The basement recroom will be a true home theatre.

I'm jealous of your setup, it's very nice!


--------------------
.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Home Theatre and Stereo appreciation thread [Re: Masked]
    #17471374 -

Quote:
Hey Kronik:

Are they bose 901's by chance?  I LOVE the bose 901's.  A very decent speaker.  There is a pair on kijiji in my area, in mint condition, for 350.

Yeah, I wouldn't know what I would do if I couldn't turn it up to it's true potential.  As it is, having kids now and such, I rarely get daddy play time with my "toys".



Yes they are the 901's, I've had them for so long, and I think they sound just as good as any top of the line full range speakers out to this day.

Also have a pair of 301's (Series II) laying around that sound amazing as well. Just don't have the room for them.

Unfortunately my Bose receiver got fried a couple years back, but this DiVinci that I have now (it's basically a white van scam receiver) puts out more than enough power to push them, but reduces the quality of the sound somewhat.


--------------------

“[...]the only people for me are the mad ones,
the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk,
mad to be saved,
desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes “Awww!”


Edited by kr0nik0 (12/30/12 02:40 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Home Theatre and Stereo appreciation thread [Re: Masked]
    #17471402 -

I don't quite have everything dialed in yet, but I'm not sure I'd go 7.1 again.  Few movies are encoded in discrete 7.1, and it doesn't add as much as I thought it would.

My goal was to keep everything exceptionally "clean".  All the components are hidden in the stand, and soon there will be no visible wires.  I wanted to create an effect where you someone doesn't really notice or realize what they're listening too until the effects of the movie roared to life.

I think I did ok in my goals.


--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Home Theatre and Stereo appreciation thread [Re: badchad]
    #17471415 -

Anyone here done acoustic wall treatments to their room?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Home Theatre and Stereo appreciation thread [Re: badchad]
    #17471451 -

hmm, good to know your feelings on the 7.1.  Going past 5.1 is new water for me.

I love the idea of keeping everything "clean"  I'm like that too.  I'm very OCD when it comes to wires, setup and room presentation.  When I finally get my own house I'm going to build a dedicated components "closet" of sorts.  I see tons of this in expensive home theatre rooms in my magazines.  Usually it's at the back of the room.

I'm very picky about speaker placement.  It takes my hours of listening time to truly find the sweet spot in the room and when I find it, I don't want them to move a mm. lol 

When I finally buy my own home, I WAS planning on buying an 80" tv, but I think I need to start educating myself on projection.

I think you did great in your goals.  Wish I could hear it :smile:


--------------------
.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Home Theatre and Stereo appreciation thread [Re: abltsandwich]
    #17471510 -

abltsandwich said:
Anyone here done acoustic wall treatments to their room?



Considering it, but haven't started on it yet.  Here is what I would do:  I have several larger (e.g. 3' X 4') canvas paintings.  These canvas paintings are inside a wooden frame, so they are about an inch or two deep.  I'd line the back of each painting with absorbent sound insulating foam.

The attempt would be to turn the existing paintings into sound insulation panels.  That way you couldn't see them very much.  I hated the idea of just placing large blocks of foam and/or panels on my walls.


--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Home Theatre and Stereo appreciation thread [Re: badchad]
    #17471534 -

badchad said:
abltsandwich said:
Anyone here done acoustic wall treatments to their room?



Considering it, but haven't started on it yet.  Here is what I would do:  I have several larger (e.g. 3' X 4') canvas paintings.  These canvas paintings are inside a wooden frame, so they are about an inch or two deep.  I'd line the back of each painting with absorbent sound insulating foam.

The attempt would be to turn the existing paintings into sound insulation panels.  That way you couldn't see them very much.  I hated the idea of just placing large blocks of foam and/or panels on my walls.



That's a really good idea to make an aesthetically pleasing acoustic wall treatment.

I think it looks so bad when people just have big squares of grey foam on their walls.


--------------------

“[...]the only people for me are the mad ones,
the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk,
mad to be saved,
desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes “Awww!”


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* oxycontin appreciation thread
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
Lightningfractal 14,954 115 10/17/11 10:02 PM
by 2Cents
* Grateful Dead Appreciation thread!!
( 1 2 3 4 all )
LooksLikeRain 8,901 68 07/15/16 08:41 PM
by Great Scott
* Appreciation thread?
( 1 2 all )
Anjaba 3,551 24 01/21/05 06:23 PM
by Jim
* King Crimson Appreciation Thread
( 1 2 all )
TinTree 3,077 20 01/22/05 04:43 PM
by LthirdSeyeD
* Jethro Tull appreciation thread! *update*(torrent included!)
( 1 2 all )
Lightningfractal 4,631 27 01/22/05 03:41 PM
by Phred
* The Papaver Appreciation Thread OneMoreRobot3021 1,459 18 08/10/04 04:41 PM
by OldSpice
* David Bowie appreciation thread browndustin 966 3 03/17/04 04:12 PM
by oneducktwoducks
* Cow Punk and Psychobilly appreciation thread?
( 1 2 all )
PapaverS 8,420 27 12/24/09 12:19 AM
by GabbaDj

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
3,478 topic views. 2 members, 10 guests and 272 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.042 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.