Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
Oh those Brits.
    #1740976 - 07/23/03 11:51 AM (20 years, 8 months ago)

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
Re: Oh those Brits. [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #1740996 - 07/23/03 12:00 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

What do you think about it and why?

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

OfflineCornholio
A liberal guy(on hiatus)

Loc: Austin, TX
    #1741031 - 07/23/03 12:12 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Interesting concept. It'll also be interesting to see how well it works.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Oh those Brits. [Re: Cornholio]
    #1741038 - 07/23/03 12:15 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Yeah....

"I'm sorry I clubbed you on your noggin."

I know that would make me feel better.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleEdame
gone

Loc: outta here
    #1741043 - 07/23/03 12:17 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Perhaps you could elaborate on why you chose to post this? What's your opinion on the matter?

This is for 'petty' crimes like antisocial behaviour and the like, it's mainly targetted at teenagers and adults who commit crimes like burglary and vandalism.

I read of a similar scheme involving speeding motorists. The police gave people caught speeding in a residential area near a school (30mph zone) a choice. They could either take a ?60 (approx. $100) fine and points on their license, or they could go to the nearby school and have children ask them questions for 30 mins (no fine and no points). Unsurprisingly they all chose the questions. None of them were expecting to be grilled though, which is what they were. The drivers were shocked when the teenagers asked them questions like "What would you say to my parents if you had killed me this morning?". I think that drives the point home much more than a fine and a few points, and so did the police.

I think this plan is one of Blunkett's better ideas. It's far too easy to dismiss other people's feelings when you don't have to meet them face to face. If people in the UK had to do mandatory humanitarian work in places like Iraq, and got to see first hand the suffering we inflict on others, maybe people would feel differently about war too.

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".
:tongue:

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Oh those Brits. [Re: Edame]
    #1741049 - 07/23/03 12:19 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I posted it because I think it's assinine.

I'm a believer in harsh punishments for acts that SHOULD be criminal.

Should is in caps because I think we have far too many acts which harm no-one yet for some bizarre reason are still criminal.

--------------------

InvisibleEdame
gone

#1741069 - 07/23/03 12:26 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Well as far as I understand it, this isn't for things like assault or GBH, it's for what you guys would call misdemeanors. It's not just about forcing the criminal to say sorry, it's about letting the victim tell the other person (which I'm sure could involve screaming and shouting and crying) just how much distress they've caused.

--------------------
The above is an extract from my fictional novel, "The random postings of Edame".

In the beginning was the word. And man could not handle the word, and the hearing of the word, and he asked God to take away his ears so that he might live in peace without having to hear words which might upset his equinamity or corrupt the unblemished purity of his conscience.

And God, hearing this desperate plea from His creation, wrinkled His mighty brow for a moment and then leaned down toward man, beckoning that he should come close so as to hear all that was about to be revealed to him.

"Fuck you," He whispered, and frowned upon the pathetic supplicant before retreating to His heavens.

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
    #1741073 - 07/23/03 12:28 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

And the criminals supposed to give a shit?!

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1741088 - 07/23/03 12:32 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Edame said:
Well as far as I understand it, this isn't for things like assault or GBH, it's for what you guys would call misdemeanors.

I didn't get that from the article. (although you're probably correct) Is there other sources you're basing your thoughts on?

They do specifically mention violent crime in the article, although not in any way that would specifically state that the apology method would apply to violent criminals

--------------------

InvisibleEdame
gone

#1741148 - 07/23/03 12:46 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Az: Maybe it's a cultural thing, I like to think that deep down, everyone has feelings. For every hard case that sites there unflinching while the victim pours their feeling out, there are likely to be just as many that are shocked and ashamed at what their actions have caused.

luv: Sorry, I'm getting lazy, there's a bit more info in this Guardian article. It actually gives me the impression that this will be used like a caution would be, so the person who has committed the crime may not have been charged with anything to start with.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1741161 - 07/23/03 12:52 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Well, while that article had a bit more info, I still find it a silly idea.

I'm from the ":nail them hard so they realize right away the price is too steep" school of thought.

--------------------

InvisibleEdame
gone

#1741196 - 07/23/03 12:58 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

You guys have the ultimate punishment over there (death) and that doesn't seem to be too much of a deterrent. I think you also have the world's highest prison population (2 million I think)? I think we're at about 75,000 over here, and people are already seeing that as too much. Our prisons are already overcrowded, so I agree that some new ideas are needed.

--------------------

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

#1741206 - 07/23/03 01:01 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

The death penalty is rarely use in most states, and if it was carried out more swiftly, perhaps it would be more of a deterent. Plus, each execution should be broadcast on each and every TV channel.

Release those from jail who are in for drug crimes and see what happens to the prison population then.

--------------------

Offlinepsikooz
Stranger
Loc: Los Angeles
    #1741412 - 07/23/03 01:54 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Death really isnt a punishment, your dead, therefore your not enduring anything, once you die, nothing matters. A harsher punishment is solitary confinement, were you dont see light for months. That is hell, not death. If i was given the death sentence, i wouldnt contest. Iwould be happy that i wouldnt have to live with the crimes i commited.

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Oh those Brits. [Re: psikooz]
    #1741439 - 07/23/03 01:58 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

That's you.

The death of a scumbag often brings closure to the victims family, which I consider a bit more important.

--------------------

Offlinepsikooz
Stranger
Loc: Los Angeles
    #1741457 - 07/23/03 02:02 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

But i do believe that if this man rapped and murdered a 10 year old girl, than he should be killed, because, fuck that guy! What a sick fuck, he dont deserve to live

I think it all comes down to what the person did to get in jail. And usually if death is sentenced then they deserve to die. Why waste space on them in jail.

Edited by psikooz (07/23/03 02:16 PM)

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
    #1741469 - 07/23/03 02:05 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

and if it was carried out more swiftly, perhaps it would be more of a deterent.

How would that be a deterant? The death penalty has a whole isn't a deterant. All that would do is give people who are innocent less room to appeal. Look at all the wrongfull capital punishment stats.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Oh those Brits. [Re: monoamine]
    #1741515 - 07/23/03 02:12 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

You've probably missed my other posts on this subject.

I think DNA or other actual concrete evidence MUST be there to use the death penalty.

--------------------

Offlinemonoamine
umask 077(nonefor you)

Loc: Jacksonville,FL
    #1741537 - 07/23/03 02:18 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I still don't think it would be any kind of deterant though.

DNA still isn't 100% foolproof.There is always the possibility of it being mishandled,tampered with,etc.
Even the biggest low life piece of shit should be allowed due process.

--------------------
People think that if you just say the word "hallucinations" it explains everything you want it to explain and eventually whatever it is you can't explain will just go away.It's just a word,it doesn't explain anything...
Douglas Adams

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
 User Gallery

Re: Oh those Brits. [Re: monoamine]
    #1741672 - 07/23/03 04:04 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

I don't recall saying they didn't.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]