Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleJohan Shultz
no title

Loc: UTOPIA
Canning wild mushrooms.
    #1738864 - 07/22/03 04:33 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Does anyone know anything about canning wild mushrooms(mostly boletos)??? If you know about any books, websites or so, please post it here. Thnx.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
Re: Canning wild mushrooms. [Re: Johan Shultz]
    #1738897 - 07/22/03 04:45 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Good post, i'm curious to know the answers as well. Is the brine just water? Maybe some sort of preservative would be necessary.

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

Offline284_27
Indocybin

Re: Canning wild mushrooms. [Re: Raadt]
    #1738971 - 07/22/03 05:12 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Brine is salt water . Lookin in canning instructions for meat , that uses a brine .

--------------------
"I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have."
- Thomas Jefferson

Fly high and I will meet you there .
- Timothy Leary

OfflineRaadt
nicht

Loc: azurescending
Re: Canning wild mushrooms. [Re: 284_27]
    #1738984 - 07/22/03 05:19 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

Oh ok. That makes sense, since salt is a preservative.

Good info.

--------------------
Raadt

-- The information I provide is only information from readings, growing of gourmet mushrooms, and second hand stories--

InvisibleMushMushi
Loc: Canada
Re: Canning wild mushrooms. [Re: Johan Shultz] * 1
    #1739617 - 07/22/03 08:32 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

From  here .
(for morels)
"A "Canning" recipe
I found a canning recipe and I think I might like this better than freezing or drying.

Sterilize wide mouth pint canning jars and add 1 teaspoon canning salt.

Fill jars with Morels......They sure look pretty when I set the morels in the jar stem down around the outside and stacked full and tight in the center.

Add room temperature distilled water or reverse osmosis (r/o) water straight from the tap

Pressure cook for 30 mimutes at 10 lbs pressure.

BOY do these look beautiful.......when the mushrooms come out of the pressure canner there look like the jar has alot of water on the bottom....when cooled the morels seem to sick toward the bottom .....They look and taste GREAT. This recipe was given to me by a migrant morel hunter and he claims to have gotten the recipe from an old Amish cookbook.

NOTE: DON'T throw the the water you drain off the mushrooms away ...add it to your gravy ........ITS the BEST.

follow up note: Make sure you note that mushrooms of any type should never be canned in quarts.....pints or half pints/jelly jars. Hope anyone that tries the recipe enjoys them as much as myself.
Courtesy of Cindy in Ohio "

From  this website
"5 Canning - Since mushrooms have insufficient acid, they are susceptible to Clostridium botulinum (botulin) contamination and require pressure canning to be safely canned. Refer to are reliable canning guide and follow manufacturers specifications and instructions exactly

Advantages - Versatility of product. If properly done, anything can be canned, so stews, soups, preparations containing mushrooms can be prepared, then canned.

Disadvantages - Expensive, sometimes finicky equipment is necessary, complicated processes and preparation possible and very strict adherence to methods, procedures and techniques is an absolute must. This is not a method where one can cut corners.

6. Pickling - Pickling is an acid treatment and preservation process for foods, usually either lactic acid produced by brining or vinegar added directly to the items preserved. Follow only proven recipes and techniques from reputable guides. Extension Services and Pickling and Canning books are good sources. Agaricus, especially the somewhat bland store bought varieties, Shiitakes, Oyster mushrooms, and firm puffballs all respond well to pickling.

Advantages - Marinated pickle broths give great flavors to mushrooms, taking bland varieties and giving them some excellent flavors. Great for parties, catered events, etc.. As antipastos and hors d?euvres etc. Relatively easy process to do at home

Disadvantages - Recipes must be proven and techniques adhered to rigidly. Not a good medium for experimentation on, as improper acid balance could lead to Botulism or other serious food poisoning.
"

For dry boletes, here is a  mushroom ketchup recipe.

While searching on the web, I also found this recipe for "Atjar Tumis Djamur Mushroom Pickles"
The website is  here .

From my pressure cooker instruction manual & recipe book they recomend the following about mushrooms (in general, no species indicated):
Trim and soak in cold water 10 minutes. Wash. Cut large ones in half. cook gently 15 minutes. Pack hot and cover with boiling water. Leave 1/2 in. head space. Add salt (no quantity indicated).

Even found a good  book.

Hehe I believe that pressure canning mushrooms would avoid bolutism (or whatever it's spelled) problems :smile:

Invisiblepsyconaut
NASA trainedpsychonaut
Loc: The Great White North
Re: Canning wild mushrooms. [Re: Johan Shultz]
    #1749189 - 07/25/03 06:27 PM (20 years, 8 months ago)

(1) Get yourself a pressure canner (or even pressure cooker). Follow the instructions!

(2) I believe you can pickle mushrooms. This would not be my preferred method ;-)

If you do end up canning, apply the normal canners precautions. If the lid pops back up on the jar when you press it in, don't eat the contents. If it smells even remotely "funky", throw it away and don't consume it. Once they're not growing anymore, mushrooms are a fine bacterial feast!

Oh, and invest in a pastry brush to clean them before canning....works a treat.

-psy

--------------------
It may look like a button mushroom right now, but wait until you see how it grows!

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore Cultivation Supplies