Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflinePatlal
You ask too many questions
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ottawa Flag
Re: Ever since I got myself a HD TV, every show and movie looks fake/ look like a soap opera.. [Re: DarkElf]
    #16992628 - 10/08/12 05:29 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

DarkElf said:
Quote:

badchad said:
Quote:

Patlal said:
I'll try it with a HD bluray and see if it makes a difference.

Let us know how it works.  I'm getting a new set and deciding between plasma and LED as well.

The only plus with Plasma is that the blacks are darker.

:lolwut:

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleSophistic Radiance
Free sVs!
Female

Loc: Center of the Universe
Re: Ever since I got myself a HD TV, every show and movie looks fake/ look like a soap opera.. [Re: Patlal]
    #16992630 - 10/08/12 05:30 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

So black they're purple? :hmm:

--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

Re: Ever since I got myself a HD TV, every show and movie looks fake/ look like a soap opera.. [Re: DarkElf]
    #16992781 - 10/08/12 05:54 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

DarkElf said:

Overall, plasmas (generally) provide better picture quality unless you are in direct sunlight/a very bright room.

As you mentioned, its due largely to deeper blacks, although the color palette is a bit deeper as well.  Plasmas are also faster so they handle motion better, and have slightly better off-axis viewing.

Overall though, the differences between the two are minimal.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

OfflineAbsent Minded
 User Gallery

Loc: Way Down South Flag
Re: Ever since I got myself a HD TV, every show and movie looks fake/ look like a soap opera.. [Re: badchad]
    #16992857 - 10/08/12 06:06 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

honestly I don't like HD channels/HD TV's. Not for the reason you mentioned though - just something about the picture on them. I prefer SD when and if I'm watchin' the idiot box:shrug:

--------------------

Beats
More Beats

sheekle: fuck peace love and unity
sheekle: death despair and misery
sheekle: is where it's at

InvisiblevoidHawk
Stranger
Re: Ever since I got myself a HD TV, every show and movie looks fake/ look like a soap opera.. [Re: badchad]
    #16992891 - 10/08/12 06:08 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

When I finally ditched my crappy old TV and switched to large high def rig, I swear it took a few days for my eyes/brain to adjust. It was almost as if the higher scan rate and extra detail was jamming more info into my brain, which had previously been filling in the gaps as brains do. It was a bit hard on my eyes; I got used to it quickly but it was bordering on uncomfortable for the first couple of days if I watched more than a few minutes.

Of course, I love it and it would be hard to go back to the old POS I kept WAY too long. Even the standard def stuff in digital is awesome compared to the piece of crap I had been watching.

OfflineAbsent Minded
 User Gallery

Loc: Way Down South Flag
Re: Ever since I got myself a HD TV, every show and movie looks fake/ look like a soap opera.. [Re: voidHawk]
    #16992908 - 10/08/12 06:10 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

voidHawk said:
When I finally ditched my crappy old TV and switched to large high def rig, I swear it took a few days for my eyes/brain to adjust. It was almost as if the higher scan rate and extra detail was jamming more info into my brain, which had previously been filling in the gaps as brains do. It was a bit hard on my eyes; I got used to it quickly but it was bordering on uncomfortable for the first couple of days if I watched more than a few minutes.

Of course, I love it and it would be hard to go back to the old POS I kept WAY too long. Even the standard def stuff in digital is awesome compared to the piece of crap I had been watching.

yeah, this is closer to what I feel with HD stuff. I just feel overwhelmed sometimes, as odd as it sounds.
I get the same thing going into food stores sometimes. Bright lights, 1 million different colors, boxes, sales, displays, everything. Too much to take in at once!

--------------------

Beats
More Beats

sheekle: fuck peace love and unity
sheekle: death despair and misery
sheekle: is where it's at

InvisibleDarkElf
Don't let commies win!
Male

Loc: Almost Canada.
Re: Ever since I got myself a HD TV, every show and movie looks fake/ look like a soap opera.. [Re: Patlal]
    #16992912 - 10/08/12 06:10 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Patlal said:
Quote:

DarkElf said:
Quote:

badchad said:
Quote:

Patlal said:
I'll try it with a HD bluray and see if it makes a difference.

Let us know how it works.  I'm getting a new set and deciding between plasma and LED as well.

:lolwut:

Darker blacks bitch.

"Black Level is another oft-quoted but not-fully-understood metric which is a critical element of good image quality. The ability to create darker blacks allows a TV to have a higher contrast ratio, a term which will be explained shortly. The darker the blacks, the greater the appearance of depth and richness in the image shown. Black level is actually not particularly complex; it's just a measure of the level of brightness of a display when showing video black. It usually has as a very low luminance value, such as 0.004 fL (0.013 cd/m2), but rarely reaches 0.0 cd/m2/fL (true black) because most HDTVs can't achieve this."

--------------------
To find yourself alone, is to find yourself with your greatest friend, and your worst enemy.

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#16993063 - 10/08/12 06:32 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

DarkElf said:

Darker blacks bitch.

Another way to demonstrate this is to have the TV "on", but with no input.  You'll probably notice the "black" image that is displayed is actually a shade of grey.

Black is important since TV's cannot create the absence of light.  It's an important aspect of picture quality.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

OfflineRorge
Scoundrel
Male User Gallery

#17000229 - 10/09/12 06:36 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

I was watching this Joe Rogan podcast today and they're talking about this. Start the video at 20:05.

InvisibleMisterMuscaria
Male User Gallery

Loc: Flag
    #17000250 - 10/09/12 06:38 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

That's how I feel and why I dont watch it, but my dad and little bro swear by it for some reason and that it's truly better.

Offlinetimelapses
Life in free form
Male

Loc: in a shroomery prison
    #17000254 - 10/09/12 06:39 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Patlal said:
Everything seems fake and staged and scripted.

I definitely because of the HD. The screen is so clean and clear that its just obvious that the backgrounds are are studio decor and that high speed chases are filmed with stunt men doing 50km/h. Everything looks so fake...

When its not HD, there a slight blur, there's an almost impercievable lag in movement flow which makes everything more "TV". I don't know how to explain it. It makes everything look like a soap opera...

Anybody else noticed this with HD TVs? (it'll ring a bell immediately if you know what I'm talking about)

I know HD over regular t.v. is much better, especially with sports.  It's not like the producers don't realize this.

--------------------

OfflinePatlal
You ask too many questions
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ottawa Flag
Re: Ever since I got myself a HD TV, every show and movie looks fake/ look like a soap opera.. [Re: Rorge]
    #17000331 - 10/09/12 06:49 PM (11 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

Rorge said:
I was watching this Joe Rogan podcast today and they're talking about this. Start the video at 20:05.

+5 to you. Your first rating too!

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale