Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Re: Ever since I got myself a HD TV, every show and movie looks fake/ look like a soap opera.. [Re: DarkElf]
    #16992628 -

DarkElf said:
badchad said:
Patlal said:
I'll try it with a HD bluray and see if it makes a difference.



Let us know how it works.  I'm getting a new set and deciding between plasma and LED as well.




The only plus with Plasma is that the blacks are darker.



:lolwut:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ever since I got myself a HD TV, every show and movie looks fake/ look like a soap opera.. [Re: Patlal]
    #16992630 -

So black they're purple? :hmm:


--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ever since I got myself a HD TV, every show and movie looks fake/ look like a soap opera.. [Re: DarkElf]
    #16992781 -

DarkElf said:

The only plus with Plasma is that the blacks are darker.



Overall, plasmas (generally) provide better picture quality unless you are in direct sunlight/a very bright room.

As you mentioned, its due largely to deeper blacks, although the color palette is a bit deeper as well.  Plasmas are also faster so they handle motion better, and have slightly better off-axis viewing.

Overall though, the differences between the two are minimal.


--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ever since I got myself a HD TV, every show and movie looks fake/ look like a soap opera.. [Re: badchad]
    #16992857 -

honestly I don't like HD channels/HD TV's. Not for the reason you mentioned though - just something about the picture on them. I prefer SD when and if I'm watchin' the idiot box:shrug:


--------------------


Beats
More Beats

sheekle: fuck peace love and unity
sheekle: death despair and misery
sheekle: is where it's at

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ever since I got myself a HD TV, every show and movie looks fake/ look like a soap opera.. [Re: badchad]
    #16992891 -

When I finally ditched my crappy old TV and switched to large high def rig, I swear it took a few days for my eyes/brain to adjust. It was almost as if the higher scan rate and extra detail was jamming more info into my brain, which had previously been filling in the gaps as brains do. It was a bit hard on my eyes; I got used to it quickly but it was bordering on uncomfortable for the first couple of days if I watched more than a few minutes.

Of course, I love it and it would be hard to go back to the old POS I kept WAY too long. Even the standard def stuff in digital is awesome compared to the piece of crap I had been watching.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ever since I got myself a HD TV, every show and movie looks fake/ look like a soap opera.. [Re: voidHawk]
    #16992908 -

voidHawk said:
When I finally ditched my crappy old TV and switched to large high def rig, I swear it took a few days for my eyes/brain to adjust. It was almost as if the higher scan rate and extra detail was jamming more info into my brain, which had previously been filling in the gaps as brains do. It was a bit hard on my eyes; I got used to it quickly but it was bordering on uncomfortable for the first couple of days if I watched more than a few minutes.

Of course, I love it and it would be hard to go back to the old POS I kept WAY too long. Even the standard def stuff in digital is awesome compared to the piece of crap I had been watching.



yeah, this is closer to what I feel with HD stuff. I just feel overwhelmed sometimes, as odd as it sounds.
I get the same thing going into food stores sometimes. Bright lights, 1 million different colors, boxes, sales, displays, everything. Too much to take in at once!


--------------------


Beats
More Beats

sheekle: fuck peace love and unity
sheekle: death despair and misery
sheekle: is where it's at

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ever since I got myself a HD TV, every show and movie looks fake/ look like a soap opera.. [Re: Patlal]
    #16992912 -

Patlal said:
DarkElf said:
badchad said:
Patlal said:
I'll try it with a HD bluray and see if it makes a difference.



Let us know how it works.  I'm getting a new set and deciding between plasma and LED as well.




The only plus with Plasma is that the blacks are darker.



:lolwut:



Darker blacks bitch.

"Black Level is another oft-quoted but not-fully-understood metric which is a critical element of good image quality. The ability to create darker blacks allows a TV to have a higher contrast ratio, a term which will be explained shortly. The darker the blacks, the greater the appearance of depth and richness in the image shown. Black level is actually not particularly complex; it's just a measure of the level of brightness of a display when showing video black. It usually has as a very low luminance value, such as 0.004 fL (0.013 cd/m2), but rarely reaches 0.0 cd/m2/fL (true black) because most HDTVs can't achieve this."


--------------------
To find yourself alone, is to find yourself with your greatest friend, and your worst enemy.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ever since I got myself a HD TV, every show and movie looks fake/ look like a soap opera.. [Re: DarkElf]
    #16993063 -

DarkElf said:
Darker blacks bitch.




Another way to demonstrate this is to have the TV "on", but with no input.  You'll probably notice the "black" image that is displayed is actually a shade of grey.

Black is important since TV's cannot create the absence of light.  It's an important aspect of picture quality.


--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ever since I got myself a HD TV, every show and movie looks fake/ look like a soap opera.. [Re: badchad]
    #17000229 -

I was watching this Joe Rogan podcast today and they're talking about this. Start the video at 20:05.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ever since I got myself a HD TV, every show and movie looks fake/ look like a soap opera.. [Re: Patlal]
    #17000250 -

That's how I feel and why I dont watch it, but my dad and little bro swear by it for some reason and that it's truly better.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ever since I got myself a HD TV, every show and movie looks fake/ look like a soap opera.. [Re: Patlal]
    #17000254 -

Patlal said:
Everything seems fake and staged and scripted.

I definitely because of the HD. The screen is so clean and clear that its just obvious that the backgrounds are are studio decor and that high speed chases are filmed with stunt men doing 50km/h. Everything looks so fake...

When its not HD, there a slight blur, there's an almost impercievable lag in movement flow which makes everything more "TV". I don't know how to explain it. It makes everything look like a soap opera...

Anybody else noticed this with HD TVs? (it'll ring a bell immediately if you know what I'm talking about)



I know HD over regular t.v. is much better, especially with sports.  It's not like the producers don't realize this.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ever since I got myself a HD TV, every show and movie looks fake/ look like a soap opera.. [Re: Rorge]
    #17000331 -

Rorge said:
I was watching this Joe Rogan podcast today and they're talking about this. Start the video at 20:05.




+5 to you. Your first rating too!


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Timothy Leary TV Movie & Entheogen dante 1,154 3 10/30/05 09:15 PM
by Learyfan
* Favorite TV/Movie character? Madtowntripper 1,336 11 05/06/03 06:32 PM
by TheBear
* TV... the incessant TV
( 1 2 all )
TinTree 4,022 28 04/29/04 07:10 PM
by OldSpice
* Classic movies you saw as a kid?
( 1 2 3 all )
mikeyboy 3,910 49 10/20/05 03:16 PM
by TheDudeAbides
* man this is alotta pron movies!!!!!!!! joe666 4,192 12 11/13/13 12:56 PM
by hidenseek1
* I can't f'n stand tv when high... TheLightIsOn 1,477 10 09/12/05 08:58 PM
by schmektron
* Sappy music in movies and TV shows RandalFlagg 1,301 13 10/10/05 11:50 AM
by barfightlard
* Over a year without TV
( 1 2 3 all )
LearyfanS 4,957 47 07/16/05 03:14 PM
by WeAreAllOne

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
1,707 topic views. 5 members, 28 guests and 132 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.037 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 17 queries.