Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Ever since I got myself a HD TV, every show and movie looks fake/ look like a soap opera..
    #16992128 -

Everything seems fake and staged and scripted.

I definitely because of the HD. The screen is so clean and clear that its just obvious that the backgrounds are are studio decor and that high speed chases are filmed with stunt men doing 50km/h. Everything looks so fake...

When its not HD, there a slight blur, there's an almost impercievable lag in movement flow which makes everything more "TV". I don't know how to explain it. It makes everything look like a soap opera...

Anybody else noticed this with HD TVs? (it'll ring a bell immediately if you know what I'm talking about)


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ever since I got myself a HD TV, every show and movie looks fake/ look like a soap opera.. [Re: Patlal]
    #16992152 -

I get exactly what you mean

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ever since I got myself a HD TV, every show and movie looks fake/ look like a soap opera.. [Re: Mush 4 Brains]
    #16992157 -

Mush 4 Brains said:
I get exactly what you mean



WTF right?

My only theory is because it feels like the actors are in the same room than me.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ever since I got myself a HD TV, every show and movie looks fake/ look like a soap opera.. [Re: Patlal] * 1
    #16992233 -

It's not a result of HD.

Its the result of motion interpolation.  Commonly known as the "soap opera" effect. Its not a desirable effect.

Google your make and model, and you can turn off the enhancement.


--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ever since I got myself a HD TV, every show and movie looks fake/ look like a soap opera.. [Re: badchad]
    #16992270 -

i dont watch tv. but if you dont like it so much, go to a garage sale and get yourself an old tv from the 90s or something

this is my advice


--------------------
ONE-EYED WANT
-------------------------
knock a hoe out this dimension, continue my ascension
-bhad bhabie

rip. todcasil, acid sloth, st1llnox, shLong, ModestMouse, vinsue, big worm (sketch), tim

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ever since I got myself a HD TV, every show and movie looks fake/ look like a soap opera.. [Re: Envix]
    #16992289 -

HD is the shizzle my nizzle


--------------------
:niffla:

ACADEMY AWARD WINNING ACTOR
WG32 KILLED HOFFA
PROFESSIONAL BALL BUFFERER
WORST NEIGHBORHOOD YARD OF 2026 WINNER
OTD’S FORMER PRODIGAL SON
TODAY IS BEER DAY

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ever since I got myself a HD TV, every show and movie looks fake/ look like a soap opera.. [Re: Patlal]
    #16992305 -

Patlal said:
Everything seems fake and staged and scripted.

I definitely because of the HD. The screen is so clean and clear that its just obvious that the backgrounds are are studio decor and that high speed chases are filmed with stunt men doing 50km/h. Everything looks so fake...

When its not HD, there a slight blur, there's an almost impercievable lag in movement flow which makes everything more "TV". I don't know how to explain it. It makes everything look like a soap opera...

Anybody else noticed this with HD TVs? (it'll ring a bell immediately if you know what I'm talking about)



this is exactly what I tell everyone about hd tvs and they think I'm crazy. I prefer good ol' standard def. tv because it looks less soap opera like you said.


--------------------

    And when I see you coming down the line
    With eyes wide open
    Somewhere in between the past and future
    Where you drift in time
    And you can see a different point of view


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ever since I got myself a HD TV, every show and movie looks fake/ look like a soap opera.. [Re: jammin]
    #16992322 -

jammin said:
Patlal said:
Everything seems fake and staged and scripted.

I definitely because of the HD. The screen is so clean and clear that its just obvious that the backgrounds are are studio decor and that high speed chases are filmed with stunt men doing 50km/h. Everything looks so fake...

When its not HD, there a slight blur, there's an almost impercievable lag in movement flow which makes everything more "TV". I don't know how to explain it. It makes everything look like a soap opera...

Anybody else noticed this with HD TVs? (it'll ring a bell immediately if you know what I'm talking about)



this is exactly what I tell everyone about hd tvs and they think I'm crazy. I prefer good ol' standard def. tv because it looks less soap opera like you said.



:whatwhatwhat:


--------------------
:niffla:

ACADEMY AWARD WINNING ACTOR
WG32 KILLED HOFFA
PROFESSIONAL BALL BUFFERER
WORST NEIGHBORHOOD YARD OF 2026 WINNER
OTD’S FORMER PRODIGAL SON
TODAY IS BEER DAY

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ever since I got myself a HD TV, every show and movie looks fake/ look like a soap opera.. [Re: jammin]
    #16992337 -

jammin said:
this is exactly what I tell everyone about hd tvs and they think I'm crazy. I prefer good ol' standard def. tv because it looks less soap opera like you said.



Or get a plasma.  Plasma TVs work differently and don't get it.


--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ever since I got myself a HD TV, every show and movie looks fake/ look like a soap opera.. [Re: badchad]
    #16992357 -

badchad said:
It's not a result of HD.

Its the result of motion interpolation.  Commonly known as the "soap opera" effect. Its not a desirable effect.

Google your make and model, and you can turn off the enhancement.



So I tried this, and it seems to work. But I only tested with regular channels that aren't super HD.

I'll try it with a HD bluray and see if it makes a difference.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ever since I got myself a HD TV, every show and movie looks fake/ look like a soap opera.. [Re: Patlal]
    #16992375 -

Patlal said:
I'll try it with a HD bluray and see if it makes a difference.



Let us know how it works.  I'm getting a new set and deciding between plasma and LED as well.


--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ever since I got myself a HD TV, every show and movie looks fake/ look like a soap opera.. [Re: Patlal]
    #16992393 -

Patlal said:
Everything seems fake and staged and scripted.

I definitely because of the HD. The screen is so clean and clear that its just obvious that the backgrounds are are studio decor and that high speed chases are filmed with stunt men doing 50km/h. Everything looks so fake...

When its not HD, there a slight blur, there's an almost impercievable lag in movement flow which makes everything more "TV". I don't know how to explain it. It makes everything look like a soap opera...

Anybody else noticed this with HD TVs? (it'll ring a bell immediately if you know what I'm talking about)



IMO TV looks that way regardless. I have a hard time forgetting that what I'm seeing is artificial when I watch TV, so I don't really try.

Normally I just think everything looks really good in HD. That said, the clarity of the picture draws your attention to small flaws in the set design and makeup that would have been invisible in SD.

For example, I just watched the pilot of The Next Generation remastered in 1080p, and, well... it wasn't flattering. :lolsy:


--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ever since I got myself a HD TV, every show and movie looks fake/ look like a soap opera.. [Re: Patlal]
    #16992402 -

yes :rotfl: also take notice too how brand new squeakly clean everyones clothes are :lol:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ever since I got myself a HD TV, every show and movie looks fake/ look like a soap opera.. [Re: Mello Kitty]
    #16992413 -

I thought I was the only one!

:trippinballs:


--------------------
I must keep reminding myself of this.
I must keep reminding myself of this. I must keep reminding myself of this.
I must keep reminding myself of this.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ever since I got myself a HD TV, every show and movie looks fake/ look like a soap opera.. [Re: Patlal]
    #16992414 -

Patlal said:
Everything seems fake and staged and scripted.

I definitely because of the HD. The screen is so clean and clear that its just obvious that the backgrounds are are studio decor and that high speed chases are filmed with stunt men doing 50km/h. Everything looks so fake...

When its not HD, there a slight blur, there's an almost impercievable lag in movement flow which makes everything more "TV". I don't know how to explain it. It makes everything look like a soap opera...

Anybody else noticed this with HD TVs? (it'll ring a bell immediately if you know what I'm talking about)



That is because TV is mostly fake, staged or scripted.


--------------------
:mushroom2::sun::crazy2::leaf:




...once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest places if you look at it right...



:feelsgoatman:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ever since I got myself a HD TV, every show and movie looks fake/ look like a soap opera.. [Re: Mello Kitty]
    #16992430 -

Personally, I just notice that everybody looks like they came straight out of a designer clothing catalog. :lol:

Also, the more you look for it, the more far-out all the interactions seem... it's as if the characters, even in conversation, are being tugged along by an invisible "point" (or concrescence of novelty, if you will) known in detail only to the writers.


--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ever since I got myself a HD TV, every show and movie looks fake/ look like a soap opera.. [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #16992525 -

Its a good thing that its an option you can turn off. Otherwise HD TV would ruin the TV experience for everybody. It makes everything look so cheesy and cheap.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ever since I got myself a HD TV, every show and movie looks fake/ look like a soap opera.. [Re: Patlal]
    #16992553 -

I don't think I've actually seen this setting... now I'm curious.


--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ever since I got myself a HD TV, every show and movie looks fake/ look like a soap opera.. [Re: Patlal]
    #16992607 -

Patlal said:
Its a good thing that its an option you can turn off. Otherwise HD TV would ruin the TV experience for everybody.



Maybe for you. I think HD is great, standard def looks like trash IMO

Not knocking your or anyone else's opinions, just stating my own. To each their own


--------------------
:niffla:

ACADEMY AWARD WINNING ACTOR
WG32 KILLED HOFFA
PROFESSIONAL BALL BUFFERER
WORST NEIGHBORHOOD YARD OF 2026 WINNER
OTD’S FORMER PRODIGAL SON
TODAY IS BEER DAY

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Ever since I got myself a HD TV, every show and movie looks fake/ look like a soap opera.. [Re: badchad]
    #16992614 -

badchad said:
Patlal said:
I'll try it with a HD bluray and see if it makes a difference.



Let us know how it works.  I'm getting a new set and deciding between plasma and LED as well.



I have an LED 1080p HD Smart tv. I also had a plasma before. I strongly recommend not getting a plasma. As with LED you can easily change the settings to get rid of the soap opera effect.
When I had my Plasma the sales dude didn't tell me there was a "Burn in" period. I watched fox all night one night, and when I woke up I had the FOX logo burned into the corner of my screen. Every channel/movie I watched had the fucking FOX logo on it. It was balls annoying. Also, the TV was so fucking heavy I couldn't hang it on my wall. :crankey:
The only plus with Plasma is that the blacks are darker.


--------------------
To find yourself alone, is to find yourself with your greatest friend, and your worst enemy.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Timothy Leary TV Movie & Entheogen dante 1,154 3 10/30/05 09:15 PM
by Learyfan
* Favorite TV/Movie character? Madtowntripper 1,336 11 05/06/03 06:32 PM
by TheBear
* TV... the incessant TV
( 1 2 all )
TinTree 4,022 28 04/29/04 07:10 PM
by OldSpice
* Classic movies you saw as a kid?
( 1 2 3 all )
mikeyboy 3,910 49 10/20/05 03:16 PM
by TheDudeAbides
* man this is alotta pron movies!!!!!!!! joe666 4,192 12 11/13/13 12:56 PM
by hidenseek1
* I can't f'n stand tv when high... TheLightIsOn 1,477 10 09/12/05 08:58 PM
by schmektron
* Sappy music in movies and TV shows RandalFlagg 1,301 13 10/10/05 11:50 AM
by barfightlard
* Over a year without TV
( 1 2 3 all )
LearyfanS 4,957 47 07/16/05 03:14 PM
by WeAreAllOne

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
1,707 topic views. 4 members, 23 guests and 261 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.033 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 18 queries.