Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewayoutmiracle
Stranger
Help!!!...we're losing our fields
    #1624477 - 06/10/03 07:10 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

The wild mushroom fields, once so abundant in my locale, are going fast! Most of the fields of "days of yore" have gone to commercial development. The few fields we still have left have not been yielding as they should--as they have in the past--I think they're getting over-harvested. If you know of any way that we can increase our fields' production, please let me know!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
Re: Help!!!...we're losing our fields [Re: wayoutmiracle]
    #1625915 - 06/11/03 08:02 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

are you talking about active species? if not then...

post a sign briefly explaining the situation and discouraging overpicking or picking at all. spread the word about the fields among mushroom hunters.  unfortunately there isnt much you can do to stop commercial land from being developed :frown: and mushroom populations is not a very good argument.

if the land is not totally industrialized and bulldozed over, it is likely that some mushrooms will continue to grow there if it had produced so many.

otherwise, find some new fields... :frown: 

Offlinewayoutmiracle
Stranger
Re: Help!!!...we're losing our fields [Re: MagmaManiac]
    #1626191 - 06/11/03 11:17 AM (20 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks for your reply. I spoke in the chatroom last night with some people who advised me to check other fields near my favorite ones. They said that cattle ranchers often rotate their grazing fields and that the manure needs to be a few weeks old for the spores to grow. I'm going to continue watch over the fields that I've known to yield high production in past years. I worry because they appear to be producing lower and lower yields every year for about the past 12 years. I don't know why that is occurring. I think it may be that our favorite fields are simply being over-harvested due to the loss of so many other fields to commercial development. I doubt that a sign would deter anyone here from picking all they could find, but I will continue keeping watch and searching for new fields.

I have always wondered why some pastures in our area, although with like conditions, produce while others never have??? Do you know of a way to introduce the species to pastures that have not produced in the past?

----------------
whats the genus? whats the god damn phylum?

I think it's psilocybe cubensis. I don't know for certain. I have just always looked for the same thing since (for me) 1968, when they were extremely plentiful here. There was once a field near our main throughway, about a block from our favorite beer tavern. Every day, during the summer, one of us would harvest that field and bring a grocery sack of mushrooms to the tavern to share with anyone there who wanted them. That was the best field I've ever known. It is now a shopping mall.

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
Re: Help!!!...we're losing our fields [Re: wayoutmiracle]
    #1626935 - 06/11/03 04:59 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

you can try, but i dont think its worth it.

i guess you can try spreading spores in and around the field, using a spray bottle with water mixed with spores :wink: or another distribution method. this is likely to not prove successful however because sometimes the ecological conditions are simply not adequate to support a particular mushroom.

picking the mushrooms without the underground mycelium-portion defintately helps. use a knife or scissors to snip them right above the ground. maybe a sign saying that will help, although it sounds like you have active species on your mind so perhaps make it more inconspicuous. 

OfflineDank420
Shrooms...Mmm

Loc: 'burbs of philly
Re: Help!!!...we're losing our fields [Re: MagmaManiac]
    #1626953 - 06/11/03 05:09 PM (20 years, 9 months ago)

You could always start a new patch, maybe somewhere a little closer to home...?

--------------------
"I tried marijuana once. I did not inhale." -William Clinton.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate