Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineTheodorizeME
Stranger

Loc: OzLand
Oberon hunt ' 2
    #1600312 - 06/02/03 01:18 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Hy again !!

I messed up my first post  :confused:
I hope I'll do better now
here we go

I recently have been hunting around Oberon that is 130km south of Sydney Au.
I havent found what i wanted to find but seen lots of amanitas of any size  and shape, and tons of one some kind  I'm not  sure about,
here they are :

the first  the unknown ???
can anyone comment on that , what I know is that particulary mushroom is
safe to eat  and tasty ..

thats the baby amanita  and :

another amanita

ufffff....!!
thist time I've done good job I hope ???
can U see pictures PEOPLE ???    :laugh:

If  any of U have any idea of what the name of the unknown is,
please drop a word in here please
  thanks for reading my first post

stay COOl 
:wink:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
Re: Oberon hunt ' 2 [Re: TheodorizeME]
    #1600321 - 06/02/03 01:22 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

yea i can see everything just fine man you got the pics up right. but i dont know what to tell you about hte mystery shrooms id. you will need to give more info for a proper id. also i should note that it is most unwise to eat and unidentified mushroom. why take risks?? just my opinion. peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

Offlinejimbu
jimbu
Male
Loc: nsw, australia
Re: Oberon hunt ' 2 [Re: blaze2]
    #1600389 - 06/02/03 01:43 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

hey theodorize, keep looking in the mountains and you might get lucky and find some subaeruginosa! :smile:

i seem to have alot more success in manmade wooded areas (eg. parklands/reserves) than actual pine plantations (where u seem to have looked - amanita's are there in force!). however i have also seen some sub's growing in natural eucalypt areas.

OfflineTheodorizeME
Stranger

#1600404 - 06/02/03 01:49 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

thanks blaze 2 for reply
in addition to what I posted this mush grows well in pine forests its  wide spread in Europe, thats why I still remember them but
here in Au they grow massive big and in huge numbers
its kind of hardy and fibrous ,slow growing often orange in color and preserves well
I hope someone from Au may help me with id. of my mistery mushroom

sorry to say I have no more pictures at the present
bye  :wink: 

Offlineblaze2
The Witness
Male

Loc: San Antonio, TX
    #1600429 - 06/02/03 02:03 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

does it have gills or pores?  if its pores then it is a bolete of some sort but i dont thing it is.  we need sporeprint color and a good shot of the gills/pores if you want to get on the experts good side you will cut one in half verticly so they can see if the gills are attached  :wink:  i dont really know what it is tho and i dont want to guess because i know that i will be wrong.  someone will be around and to try to id it.  but spore print is a must man.  peace

blaze2

--------------------
"Religion without science is blind, Science without religion is lame." Albert Einstein

"peace is not maintained through force it is acheived through intelligence." Albert Einstein

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain Security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one."
Thomas Jefferson

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." --Thomas Jefferson

OfflineTheodorizeME
Stranger

#1600601 - 06/02/03 04:25 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

...been doing lots of search on mushees trying to id. my mistery one,
cos I remember I seen those mushrooms back in Europe.
I got some very good refference link to mushroom world of Eu
what my guess about the misteryone  is
lactarius deliciosus or
lactarius deterimus  or
lactarius salmonicolor

see link for uself ( link in Pl and Eng ) :

http://www.grzyby.pl/gatunki/Lactarius_deliciosus.htm

still not sure, but trying 
:cool:

see yaaaaa  !!

Offlinejimbu
jimbu
Male
Loc: nsw, australia
    #1600741 - 06/02/03 06:30 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

very possible. i hear of those growing in that area.

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
    #1600932 - 06/02/03 08:59 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

Nice photos.

Your first one is a Lactarius, but ID to species will be a lot tougher. Given the color in the photo I would probably go with something like L. zonarius, L. pubescens, or L. piperatus, all of which I would consider inedible or poisonous.

Lactarius has both edibles and poisonous species. The ones which are recommended for eating all bruise greenish or bluish. In eastern Europe and Scandinavia they eat some of the Lactarius species that are considered poisonous here in the US. Their versions of those species may be different than ours.

Considering that misidentification by immigrants is one of the biggest causes of mushroom poisonings I will suggest that you be very cautious about eating mushrooms based on what is eaten elsewhere. When you try a new species, try a small amount (less than a teaspoon), so it won't be as bad if you made a mistake. And avoid the genera with really dangerous species until you're fairly expert at identification.

Those are some nice Amanitas. They're one of the very most picturesque fungi.

Here's a tip for photography for identification. Try to make sure you get the underside of the cap. Seeing the gills/pores/teeth, ring on the stem (if any), and the base of the stem can all be important for identification of some species.

Again, nice photos and specimens. Welcome aboard!

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Loc: 352
    #1601043 - 06/02/03 10:03 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

yes, right when i looked at that picture, the genus Lactarius flashed before my eyes.

Regarding Lactarius in Europe: I myself, have spent many summers in Europe picking mushrooms mostly for food with my family and with their friends or with my friends. Lactarius deliciosus or 'rydz' as polish people call it is distinguished in poland from all other lactarius by its orange milk when it cut open or knicked. it also bruises green on the inside. it is considered slightly rare in poland now because of overpicking although it is still fairly prevalent in the late summer/early fall months. the last time i found this species was in northeast poland at a forest/lake resort remarkably in mid june. i was very excited about finding this early especially on the grounds of the resort. in poland, common edibles dont grow near inhabited areas any longer. it takes a drive into the surrounding countryside to find choice boletales, lactarius, or chanterelle mushrooms. btw, i also found a Macrolepiota procera or a Shaggy Parasol that was about 35-40 cm in diameter. i dont remember exactly how wide, but i know it was about twice the diameter of my 'unveiled' hand.

anyway, i dont know of any other lactarius mushrooms that grow in poland that people popularly pick to eat. except perhaps Lactarius volemus. i have heard of people picking this mushroom although it is much less popular. but i have seen what i believe to be L. quietus, L. torminosus, L. blennius, and L. helvus on several occassions. here is a website with many of the Lactarius species in poland, as this is a polish website:
http://www.grzyby.pl/gatunki/Lactarius.htm

considering central florida there is one small orange species of lactarius that i dont remember the name of it but is similar to L. peckii

here is a pic:

these mushroom appear in THOUSANDS throughout summer and fall and are edible so i cant wait for them to come up. woohhooo!

i love lactarius. anyone please share their info.

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Oberon hunt ' 2 [Re: MagmaManiac]
    #1602400 - 06/02/03 06:29 PM (20 years, 10 months ago)

please give more info on the fist lactarius if you can i would really like to attempt and id. thanks :smirk: 

OfflineTheodorizeME
Stranger

Re: Oberon hunt ' 2 [Re: MagmaManiac]
    #1603681 - 06/03/03 03:59 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

thanks to All for  the warm welcome on this forum

:laugh:

Im really happy with the fact  that my post generated so many responses from  you,
speaking of lactarius and poland, it is true that many of them has been overpicked years ago and I think it became a delicassy, its no longer an easy find
here in Australia abundance of it its overwellming, they grow  by thousands as well as Amanitas
Ive seen some of gigantic sizes I would say  over 200 mm in diameter, and I would emagine some POles seeing this on they very eyes 
sorry to say , this particulary lactarius is no longer existing, I cant take any more photos
in addition to what i sad, it bruised  very easlly and sings of disscoloration appeared instantly, mailny with intense gray to gray blue in colour,
also I recall it had a very nice smell to it and..
I tested it as U Toxic MAn sugested
it was sweet ,no nasty bitter and odd taste sensations
I still remember my Grandfather used to say "if it tastes nice and sweet , dont worry its not gonna to harm U even if U  eat too much of it "

I did some inspection in my local park afrer work this afrernoon, I got some new species, took some photos 
I'll post them as soon as I get my pfotos on CD

thanks again for EXPERTs opinions and  advise and
I keep U posted

see yaaaaa

OfflineMagmaManiac
Stranger
 User Gallery

#1604151 - 06/03/03 10:06 AM (20 years, 10 months ago)

get a few specimens, and take some detailed pics and descriptions!  :laugh:

YAY! 

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom