Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinegreenpastures
Stranger

scizzors? overpicking? questions
    #3477781 - 12/10/04 07:37 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

i didnt know about using scizzors until i read an off topic post. i do from time to time, go back and read the shroomery readme's, but i dont remember the "dont pull em out by the roots" rule. i DO flick the caps though. or blow on them. which brings me to my first question.

they say (they say alot) that you should tap or flick the caps to distribute the spores, but will blowing on the picked mushrooms achiever the same result? i usually tap or flick too hard, the cap falls off and there i go on a wild hunt through the grass for that darn cap. lol. lately i've been blowing on them instead.

so now i must bring scizzors...i have sharp fingernails...could i just kinda cut the stem with my fingernails? its not as clean a cut, granted...

now the big question...i've been picking instead of cutting for the past 5 days on my newly found virgin undiscovered field. (cept for the bottles of beer and styrofoam i always see) and now onthe 6ths day, i see less and less. theres been no rain , so thats some of it. i picked quite a few and thats alot of the issue right there. for conservation methods, i tap the cap and leave about 10% just sitting there to go through their life unmolested. small feild though. about 12-24 cows on ...i dont know...5 acres? 10? about double the size of a track and field track. have my five days of ignorant pickage stunted my chances for next rains growth considerably? and if a train leaving new york at 45 mph...well it might be one of those questions that has a "who knows" or "maybe probably" answer. but i'd like some opinions if at all possible. and some lovely parting gifts. keep reminding people of the scizzors. ive been reading this forum off and on for over half a year. i missed it! totally! thank you and god bless the cows.

--------------------
Do as i say. Do as i do.
Good. Now instead of eating a mushroom that is not yours. Eat the ones in the super market. Thanks. -droz
"German's love white rice."-droz

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisiblesuiM
I love you.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cali, Contra Costa Co. Flag
Re: scizzors? overpicking? questions [Re: greenpastures]
    #3477836 - 12/10/04 07:44 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

You cannot disribute spores that way i dont think, thats why it takes a while to get a good sporeprint, they drop when they aare good and ready lol. Just as long as u dont pull up the myc and pick at the base you could cutem with a stick if you wanted. Your hunting cubes? I dont know if it ruins the myc with cubes to pull em up, alot of the wild cubes iv seen on here were pulled up not cut, it might just be a woodluvers thing, or that its more prevelent with people picking other species but i dont know for sure.

--------------------

$30, help me out and buy one!
Square Store - https://squareup.com/store/peace-angel-clothing-ent

Paypal - peaceangelclothingent@gmail.com

"There is never a wrong note, bend it."
Jimi Hendrix

Offlinegreenpastures
Stranger

Re: scizzors? overpicking? questions [Re: sui]
    #3478064 - 12/10/04 08:21 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

i havent seen anything even veguely resembling a cube down here since i began darting under barbed wire fences. just the copes. and nothing but the copes.so i hunt the copes. and i find the copes. must be a south texas thing. i hear our season never ends sometimes. i'm about 20 miles from the mexican border (dont edit me for that)so i woudlnt doubt it. i wonder what a good frost would do to my joy and fun....it rarely does that here though. ithink once back int he 90s... i see quite a few tall flowery VERY fragile looking mushrooms, but from my books, i'm absolutely almost positive they arent active. VERY fragile. purdy. look just like purple flowers. translucent. FRAGILE!

but no , i'm not hunting them. glad to know i dont hav eto bring scizzors with me. one less thing to lose or one less questionable item, ya know?

another interesting thing about the valley is the saw grass. i mentioned this before under the name wehavecow(s). in cow pastures where there is nothing but saw grass (sharp bushy bushes that stab your ankles as you go along), there are NO muchrooms...other than these odd small dry things. and you only have a 1-1000 chance of finding those. white gills...no fun at all. anyone else dealing with saw grass? if i were the adventurous type, i'd take a pic of it. anyway...just copes.

and i DID stir by the way...i did that...its kinda more of a brown honey than a blue...well...bluish brown honey... but i guess thats the nature of the cope. now that its stirred, it will make a decent chip dip. like a salsa. only sweet.

any truth to the "its better to consume on an empty stomache" saying? drinking a bottle of honey is ...well...lol. i prefer to eat them with pringles if fresh. with torilla chips or dumped into a bowl of clam chowder when its been in honey. but if its better to eat them all by thier lonesome so be it...its a tough job, but someones got to do it , right?

--------------------
Do as i say. Do as i do.
Good. Now instead of eating a mushroom that is not yours. Eat the ones in the super market. Thanks. -droz
"German's love white rice."-droz

OfflineSigno
manamana
 User Gallery

Loc: Purple Haze
Re: scizzors? overpicking? questions [Re: sui]
    #3478559 - 12/10/04 09:59 PM (12 years, 3 months ago)

:lol: Spores are microscopic and are released by the mushroom, even without the "aid" of a picker. Just make sure to use a collecting device which doesn't trap all the spores inside, hand baskets work well.  If you could see the fairy dust trail of spores you were leaving using this technique, you would be quite contented that the spores will help propogate the species in the future.

--------------------

Correlation is not causation!

OfflineOOISI
Nothingness
Male User Gallery

Loc: S.Australia
Re: scizzors? overpicking? questions [Re: Signo]
    #3479225 - 12/11/04 12:17 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

the whole point of cutting them is so you dont pull out the mycelium disturbing the fragile network. Pinch and twist is a good method. Im pretty sure the majority of spores are dispersed as the veil breaks. even if tapping the cap dropped more spores, the spores have to germinate and the mycelium has to spread and such, so even if it made a difference, it wouldnt show till another year or so.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: scizzors? overpicking? questions [Re: OOISI]
    #3480788 - 12/11/04 08:09 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Crawling around in the mulch with you normal 140 pound body and upwards also causs mutations in size and makes shroter stemmed shrooms and some where single cyans sprout straight and tall only pop up once while others cluster and clump together in harmony.

But walking on the mulch and such does cause damage. normally a patch will last two to three years or so and when the nutrients disappear the shrooms do also. If the patch is remulched with similar mulch the shrooms may stay longer. In the PNW, clearcuts are disappearing and alder is used less and less for homes. the preferred bark here for garrdens and some parks already is cedar. too acidity for psilocybian mushroms of the genus Psilocybe

mj

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: Microscope

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification