Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Just bought a new computer. Should I do a clean install?
    #15498444 -

Bought a pretty sweet laptop today. It was the floor model and runs windows 7. Seems like an awful lot of bells and whistles. So anyhow, Im wondering if I should do a clean install. Im all paranoid that theres some weird shit installed I dont know about. Does that happen?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just bought a new computer. Should I do a clean install? [Re: I_was_the_walrus]
    #15498452 -

Always do a clean install man. Always.


--------------------
bmiles: shrooms are 90% cum.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just bought a new computer. Should I do a clean install? [Re: Knifeplay]
    #15498476 -

has it got pre installed os?

i wouldnt delete it and re install it, only if it got some annoying malware like anti virus which in my opinion is impossible to un install


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just bought a new computer. Should I do a clean install? [Re: Knifeplay]
    #15498482 -

Yeah its pre-installed. Would a system recovery back to factory settings suffice? Or would it be a good idea to completely wipe it all?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just bought a new computer. Should I do a clean install? [Re: I_was_the_walrus] * 1
    #15498523 -

A system recovery back to factory settings would just bring it back to the exact way you got it, with all the bloatware software preloaded on it.

You can either:
A: Uninstall all the software manually, clean it out, tweak it out
B: Reformat and clean install

Did it come with a Windows disc? I'm assuming not, if it's new probably a partition on the laptop.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just bought a new computer. Should I do a clean install? [Re: Shroomism]
    #15498581 -

Yeah, no point in doing a recovery. And nowadays, the discs they give you aren't just Windows.

What brand is it? For example, you should have a Windows 7 OEM key on the bottom....just download Win 7 from Microsoft, burn it, then run it and reformat. There is probably a partition on your laptop that you will see with the manufacturer's name or it might say "restore". You can remove that if you feel like it or just leave it if you don't know what you're doing.

Also before you do this, make sure you can easily find all the drivers for your laptop. If you have a restore disc from the company you can usually just get them from that. You'll need your wifi/touchpad/cam/mic drivers at least, if they are not using or don't have generic forms from Windows 7.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just bought a new computer. Should I do a clean install? [Re: Shroomism]
    #15498599 -

I would just do a clean install if you have the Win 7 disc. Most laptops (especially HP and Sony) come with an assload of crapware. Clean install that bitch and it'll run much smoother. And you'll have a lot more free space on your HD.


... K maybe like 500MB more free space, but do it anyway.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just bought a new computer. Should I do a clean install? [Re: Gumby]
    #15498632 -

I just bought a new laptop and was thinking about doing this as well.

Would it be the same to just go in and delete everything you don't want off it? or is a clean install usually the better route to go?


--------------------

Edited by x Ju x (12/11/11 04:58 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just bought a new computer. Should I do a clean install? [Re: x Ju x]
    #15498636 -

just delete the shit rather then doing complete un install


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just bought a new computer. Should I do a clean install? [Re: x Ju x]
    #15498639 -

A clean install if you want to just start fresh guaranteed clean with absolutely no bloatware.

My girlfriend just bought a Sony Laptop though, and I just uninstalled all the crapware that came pre-installed, ran CCleaner registry cleaner, wiped the blank space and tweaked a few settings, installed firefox and addons, and added a real antivirus (it came with Norton..) all in about 15 mins so that was a tiny bit faster than a fresh windows install and runs just as good.

All it is from the factory is a fresh windows install with a bunch of software added on. So just uninstall that shit and it's essentially the same thing.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just bought a new computer. Should I do a clean install? [Re: Shroomism]
    #15498650 -

The new laptop I'm getting soon isn't going come with a preinstalled bloated Windows OS. Saves me a bit of cash too.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just bought a new computer. Should I do a clean install? [Re: Shroomism]
    #15498658 -

yeah that's what I figured. Thanks :thumbup:

I'll probably go in and delete things manually and tweak some things. I should be able to get all the unnecessary crap out that way. It's got pretty good specs so it shouldn't be too bad regardless, I'm just not sure about the brand name if that matters at all.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just bought a new computer. Should I do a clean install? [Re: Shroomism]
    #15501016 -

Shroomism said:
added a real antivirus (it came with Norton..)



Norton is ranked as one of the best now. What do you consider real antivirus?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just bought a new computer. Should I do a clean install? [Re: Gumby]
    #15501038 -

MSSE and intelligence works great for me.  In the year 2011, you have to be a :tard: to get a virus.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just bought a new computer. Should I do a clean install? [Re: Gumby]
    #15501068 -

Ranked as one of the best? By who?
Norton is a piece of shit resource hog and is INFAMOUS for false positives.

I put Bit Defender Pro on it. That's one of the best (paid) ones IMO.
Next to Kaspersky, Panda, F-Secure, NOD32, AVG Pro, Avast Pro, Comodo, Vipre, Trend Micro Titanium, Microsoft Security Essentials...
Pretty much anything but Norton and McAffee.
Maybe 2012 Norton is better than prior years, but I still refuse to ever use it.
Every Norton I've ever used has come up with false positives constantly, and hogs the shit out of system resources, and gives you no uber customization options or ability to put into a "gaming mode" or learning mode or anything like that. Norton sucks my balls


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just bought a new computer. Should I do a clean install? [Re: Shroomism]
    #15501148 -

Shroomism said:
Ranked as one of the best? By who?
Norton is a piece of shit resource hog and is INFAMOUS for false positives.

I put Bit Defender Pro on it. That's one of the best (paid) ones IMO.
Next to Kaspersky, Panda, F-Secure, NOD32, AVG Pro, Avast Pro, Comodo, Vipre, Trend Micro Titanium, Microsoft Security Essentials...
Pretty much anything but Norton and McAffee.
Maybe 2012 Norton is better than prior years, but I still refuse to ever use it.
Every Norton I've ever used has come up with false positives constantly, and hogs the shit out of system resources, and gives you no uber customization options or ability to put into a "gaming mode" or learning mode or anything like that. Norton sucks my balls



By PC Mag and CNet. Pretty reputable sources. And no, it's not a resource hog, uses significantly less resources than Bit Defender did on my comp. They completely revamped Norton and I gotta say it's the tits now. Also, ANYTHING Trend Micro is now considered to be bottom of the barrel garbage now.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just bought a new computer. Should I do a clean install? [Re: Gumby]
    #15501241 -

Not Titanium. They also completely revamped it, it's probably in the top 10 now.
Anyway I read some reviews and I guess 2012 Norton is up there.
I'll still never use it.

I love Bit Defender. It does everything I want and more. I cannot even tell it's there.

Here is running on my laptop. Notice how its using less resources than uTorrent, which is sitting idle not doing anything.


I switched from Komodo and Outpost, mainly because my girlfriend's system got infected. It had Norton on it. Norton couldn't find it, but found a whole bunch of other shit that was totally benign. Multiple programs couldn't find it, Bit defender did and removed it. I then read some reviews and it's pretty much in the top category of almost every security review for 2011-12 antivirus. So I switched.

Either way whatever. I've just always hated Norton.
Maybe they have gotten better... not convinced unless they keep it up.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Just bought a new computer. Should I do a clean install? [Re: I_was_the_walrus]
    #15501284 -

I always format and re-install, but usually I install Linux instead of Windows. I think I'd do the same if I decided to run Windows, though, as it would be easier (for me, a linux user) than tracking down programs to clean up the mess left behind by uninstalling what you don't want.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* computer help Ripple 556 4 04/25/04 09:15 PM
by Ripple
* Sometimes I fight with my computer. Little Shroom 2,411 17 07/24/03 03:45 PM
by oDin
* Computer Problems (Hard Drive Fault) Mushie_Man 741 4 12/16/04 12:51 PM
by Vvellum
* Calling all computer nerds HELP me!!!!! barfightlard 1,348 11 09/12/04 08:05 PM
by barfightlard
* Your first computer
( 1 2 3 all )
HagbardCeline 3,530 41 01/11/04 04:00 PM
by justsmurfy
* anyone here good with computers? k2nride 1,091 10 08/20/04 02:30 AM
by Charles
* How do I get rid of a virus? (computer =) ) alakona 788 7 03/13/05 10:15 PM
by Psychoactive1984
* How to erase everything and start over on a computer? grassman 483 3 08/12/04 06:35 PM
by felix

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
2,094 topic views. 2 members, 73 guests and 110 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.033 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.