Home | Community | Message Board

PlanetSpores.ca
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags, Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
What am I? Maybe Psilocybe in NH...? Thanks in advance for any responses....And for letting me join!
    #15037479 -

I found this guy about 15 feet away from a stream that had flooded last weekend. Hundreds of em, they're in a stand of evergreen trees with lots of decaying wood/mulch cover on the ground. Northern NH/White Mountains. I think maybe scaly stalk psilocybe, but I'm brand new at this, don't know. Taking a spore print now, will put it up tomorrow.







--------------------
He who laughs last...May be a little slow on the uptake.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What am I? Maybe Psilocybe in NH...? Thanks in advance for any responses....And for letting me join! [Re: TommyTom]
    #15037486 -

Amanita sp.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What am I? Maybe Psilocybe in NH...? Thanks in advance for any responses....And for letting me join! [Re: TommyTom]
    #15037494 -

Amanita flavoconia, assuming after correction it would still be a similar colour.

How one could confuse it with a Psilocybe I'm not sure.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What am I? Maybe Psilocybe in NH...? Thanks in advance for any responses....And for letting me join! [Re: ehtdaedlufetarg]
    #15037501 -

ehtdaedlufetarg said:
Amanita sp.



Yes, maybe a. amerimuscaria or a. flavoconia.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What am I? Maybe Psilocybe in NH...? Thanks in advance for any responses....And for letting me join! [Re: TommyTom]
    #15037504 -

TommyTom said:
I think maybe scaly stalk psilocybe



What's a scaly stalk Psilocybe? Or did you just want it to be a Psilocybe, see that it had a scaly stalk, and then invent "scaly stalk Psilocybe"? :shrug:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What am I? Maybe Psilocybe in NH...? Thanks in advance for any responses....And for letting me join! [Re: elprawn]
    #15037533 -

You never heard of the scaly stalk psilocybe? It's a total hit in Japan right now. They have Buddhist monks hauling them off the mountains by the truckloads. Tokyo has been tripping ballz since the tsunami. The entire Fukushima region even lights up with it.

Nah, never heard of it either. But who cares; we all have to start somewhere. And for some of us, it's the scaly stalk psilocybe.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What am I? Maybe Psilocybe in NH...? Thanks in advance for any responses....And for letting me join! [Re: koraks]
    #15037541 -

koraks said:
You never heard of the scaly stalk psilocybe? It's a total hit in Japan right now. They have Buddhist monks hauling them off the mountains by the truckloads. Tokyo has been tripping ballz since the tsunami. The entire Fukushima region even lights up with it.

Nah, never heard of it either. But who cares; we all have to start somewhere. And for some of us, it's the scaly stalk psilocybe.



Well I don't like to be too pre-judgemental. Maybe the OP actually thought he heard of something somewhere?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What am I? Maybe Psilocybe in NH...? Thanks in advance for any responses....And for letting me join! [Re: ehtdaedlufetarg]
    #15037552 -

Beautiful find! Spore print won't help you to distinguish between Amanita species unfortunately. Looks like it may be A. flavoconia but the base of the stem seems off for that. Have any better photos of the stem base?


--------------------
Rod Tulloss said:

The bulb is the bulb.

The volva is the volva.

They have a very long term realtionship, but they’re “just friends.”

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What am I? Maybe Psilocybe in NH...? Thanks in advance for any responses....And for letting me join! [Re: elprawn]
    #15037553 -

I did a google on it and came up with nothing. So yeah, who knows :shrug: It could have originated in kids observing flakes of verm on cube stalks and then proceeding to call them 'scaly stalk psilocybes'. Who knows?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What am I? Maybe Psilocybe in NH...? Thanks in advance for any responses....And for letting me join! [Re: koraks]
    #15037554 -

Ha, I could confuse it with a psilocybe because I've been a "mushroom hunter" or whatever terminology you prefer...For about 4 days, man! Still reading up on how it's done. Thank you guys for the quick responses.

And the "scaly stalk psilocybe" is straight out of the Audobon Society Guide to mushrooms. Psilocybe Squamosa


--------------------
He who laughs last...May be a little slow on the uptake.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What am I? Maybe Psilocybe in NH...? Thanks in advance for any responses....And for letting me join! [Re: TommyTom]
    #15037575 -

TommyTom said:
And the "scaly stalk psilocybe" is straight out of the Audobon Society Guide to mushrooms. Psilocybe Squamosa



It's true, there is such a synonym for a mushroom. Not one that looks remotely like your Amanita though, dude!

You need to do at least SOME research before hunting. You can't go hunting Psilocybes and not even know that white gills = not Psilocybe.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What am I? Maybe Psilocybe in NH...? Thanks in advance for any responses....And for letting me join! [Re: elprawn]
    #15037589 -

Ahhh, right! I think ps. squamosa has been moved to the leratiomyces genus (l. squamosus)? I'm not familiar with the species btw. Yes, it looks a tiny bit like an amanita.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What am I? Maybe Psilocybe in NH...? Thanks in advance for any responses....And for letting me join! [Re: koraks]
    #15037612 -

Amanita flavoconia sounds good. Amanita muscaria var guessowii would have white warts, white stem, and concentric rings around the volva.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What am I? Maybe Psilocybe in NH...? Thanks in advance for any responses....And for letting me join! [Re: elprawn]
    #15037613 -

Ok, next time I hike around, I'll take pictures in the field rather than rip these little fellas out of the ground for no reason...Got about 100 rotting hay bales in the woods (no animal dung tho), moose/bear/deer shit everywhere..40 acres of decaying evergreen forest bed, and a couple streams to explore. Thanks guys, you can make fun of my next find soon. Think I'll call it a 'midair upside down psilocybe'. :wink:


--------------------
He who laughs last...May be a little slow on the uptake.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What am I? Maybe Psilocybe in NH...? Thanks in advance for any responses....And for letting me join! [Re: koraks]
    #15037625 -

koraks said:
ehtdaedlufetarg said:
Amanita sp.



Yes, maybe a. amerimuscaria or a. flavoconia.



The warts seem to be raised and yellow which points to A.flavoconia I believe.
Edit:(vjp beat me to it):grin:

Edited by Blue-FunGuy (09/06/11 11:38 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What am I? Maybe Psilocybe in NH...? Thanks in advance for any responses....And for letting me join! [Re: TommyTom]
    #15037640 -

TommyTom said:
Ok, next time I hike around, I'll take pictures in the field rather than rip these little fellas out of the ground for no reason...Got about 100 rotting hay bales in the woods (no animal dung tho), moose/bear/deer shit everywhere..40 acres of decaying evergreen forest bed, and a couple streams to explore. Thanks guys, you can make fun of my next find soon. Think I'll call it a 'midair upside down psilocybe'. :wink:



I'd go ahead and take them still - it'll make it a lot easier to identify if you have a specimen in hand, can take a spore print, etc.  Don't rip it out, but either cut (with small scissors or a knife) at the base of the stem or twist off from the base of the stem.  DO make sure that you take the whole base of the stem of it has a volva (bulb) at the base, that's a critically important feature for identification.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What am I? Maybe Psilocybe in NH...? Thanks in advance for any responses....And for letting me join! [Re: Blue-FunGuy]
    #15037719 -

Blue-FunGuy said:
koraks said:
ehtdaedlufetarg said:
Amanita sp.



Yes, maybe a. amerimuscaria or a. flavoconia.



The warts seem to be raised and yellow which points to A.flavoconia I believe.
Edit:(vjp beat me to it):grin:



And elprawn beat him to it!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What am I? Maybe Psilocybe in NH...? Thanks in advance for any responses....And for letting me join! [Re: elprawn]
    #15037985 -

ohhh but there really are some scaly stalked psilocybes

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: What am I? Maybe Psilocybe in NH...? Thanks in advance for any responses....And for letting me join! [Re: elprawn]
    #15038186 -

elprawn said:
Blue-FunGuy said:
koraks said:
ehtdaedlufetarg said:
Amanita sp.



Yes, maybe a. amerimuscaria or a. flavoconia.



The warts seem to be raised and yellow which points to A.flavoconia I believe.
Edit:(vjp beat me to it):grin:



And elprawn beat him to it!


:facepalm3:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags, Substrate Mix


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* today's NH inactives (pics & guesses) socialnorm77 969 8 07/14/05 09:44 AM
by socialnorm77
* Look-a-like Psilocybe cyanescens (pics) oO_wombat_Oo 9,785 4 06/10/01 11:22 PM
by mjshroomer
* Let's Update the FAQ List of What's Found Where...
( 1 2 all )
ToxicManM 4,504 26 10/01/03 10:16 AM
by Ude
* Matsutake NH *******UPDATE***** 10/14/05 w/pics socialnorm77 4,252 13 10/14/05 05:33 PM
by socialnorm77
* Results of Ganja's tentative Psilocybe caerulipes Anonymous 1,686 12 01/14/03 07:32 PM
by Zen Peddler
* NH Amanita 10-10-05 socialnorm77 1,149 11 10/10/05 09:17 PM
by MaFiaDC
* a lil' porn NH (update 8/12) now with more tittties socialnorm77 2,870 10 09/12/05 04:15 PM
by socialnorm77
* finally morels in NH (pics) socialnorm77 1,624 6 05/22/05 10:25 PM
by yogafire

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
2,488 topic views. 0 members, 14 guests and 32 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
Calendar Event: 09/06/55
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.031 seconds spending 0.008 seconds on 16 queries.