Home | Community | Message Board

Mycohaus
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop: Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDJSwitch
daddy

Loc: ............................
damn casings wont colonate
    #1403033 - 03/23/03 12:17 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

frank has these 2 casings...he used one 100% colonized pf cake for each casing...and for the casing layer he used verm and water...with me so far?.....ok so he cased the first on march 3 and the other on like the 6th or7th...hes got em rigged with a heating pad to keep the temp up....and it is UP......he "mists" once a day or so...moist inside and we dug in it today to see wtf if up with the crumbled cakes...well they were warm/hot real soft obviously moist.....the casing layer/top layer is like 1/4 ich thick and the bottom closer to half inch.........like i said we got down into the casing today and didnt see any signs of contam so im stumped....ive never claimed to be a proffesional and have read the FAQS...or the ones that were related to casing..........and from what i can tell everything should be doin what he wants it to do....
any of you got any kind of idea WTF? hate to think he wasted to cakes.....
well thank you for taking the time to read my question.....

--------------------
Shrooms...? What Shrooms?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinevalour
Swordbearer

Loc: USA
Re: damn casings wont colonate [Re: DJSwitch]
    #1403054 - 03/23/03 12:23 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

What was the water - vermiculite ratio?
People round these parts usually mention too-wet vermiculite hinders colonizing, and you shouldn't have to mist casing unless it outright dries out.

Also - perhaps try to get an idea of the temperature of the casing area - if it's too high, that can keep it down, or even kill it.

--------------------
"Remember, son,
I didn't sell out-
I bought in."

Offlinefearforce7
addict
Loc: USA
Re: damn casings wont colonate [Re: valour]
    #1403075 - 03/23/03 12:32 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

what do you have the casings in andcoveredwith? i had siome casings ina a tuppaware container with the lid on it and i had no growht, the i just loosly covered it with tin foil without the tuppaware cover and i got amazing growth over night. you havetolet your casing get a little bit of air exchange.

--------------------

Offlinedorian909
yea, thats me

Re: damn casings wont colonate [Re: DJSwitch]
    #1403141 - 03/23/03 12:57 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

you are at the fruiting stage correct??

well if you are... your temps shouldnt be that high, so i dont think you need the heating pad. fruiting temps are good anywhere between 70-78F, i believe

when the myc. is introduced to lower temps, light, and air flow it knows that its time to pin.

so concluding, i think its too hot, but that is my unexpert opinion. :grin: 

OfflineDJSwitch
daddy

Loc: ............................
Re: damn casings wont colonate [Re: fearforce7]
    #1403192 - 03/23/03 01:15 PM (14 years, 6 months ago)

sorry yea they are in tuppaware with the lids...ill try the foil loosly on top....maybe that'll help it alittle.....and then ill tell frank to turn the heater off so it can maybe recover cause the tuppaware and verm was getting alittle hot....and the verm water ratio was 25ml distilled water every half cup verm...thanks again for taking the time to reply and give me some ideas on what the prob may be...the container lids just might be it..

--------------------
Shrooms...? What Shrooms?

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop: Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation