Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Perpetual nudity versus a perpetual Burka
    #13920220 -

I enjoy hypothetical questions like this, and an article I read yesterday got me to thinking about the variety of reasons people so thoroughly hide their bodies and the reasoning behind it.  For the sake of this post, I'm not considering little black dresses , lingerie, and other sorts of seldom-worn decorative attire that serves the purpose of accentuating and celebrating the human form. 

Few things feel as good as the freedom of foregoing clothing; our daily experiences constantly illustrate this through restriction and chafing, from boxers/briefs creeping up our cracks (and then requiring less-than-tactful yanking out), having to 'adjust' your (male) junk to avoid the discomfort of anatomy suddenly demanding space your pants simply don't have to ask, and so on.  And by their very nature, garments rob people of enjoying the feeling of the breeze on most of their skin.   

I understand the necessity of clothing in the winter, obviously.  I used to also find merit in the argument, "if nobody wore clothes [on nice days] then we'd all wish we were blind due to all of the "fat" or "ugly" people we would witness every day.  I no longer find that argument compelling and on examination I think that it lacks merit almost entirely; that argument reminds me of kingergarden children attempting to elicit shallow, ultimately meaningless exclamations of "eww" and "that's sross!" without considering the rather compelling reason to get healthy (get in shape) that would manifest very strongly in this sort of situation.

I wonder how most people view clothing?  Obviously, I take a practical point of view and see garments merely as tools to keep skin warm, protect it from the sun/elements, and in rare cases to show respect (funerals, classes, pricey restaurants).    The main thrust of this post, therefore, concerns a scenario where we all lived in a world that was never too cold or too hot or humid for one's skin to serve as the only necessary "garment" - for example, the ozone layer would need to be robust enough to significantly reduce the incidence of sun-related diseases. If the Earth were to become this type of world tomorrow, would most people spend decades (or centuries?) stubbornly advocating the practce of (pardon the pun) religiously clothing ourselves?  Would you be driven by modesty, harboring shame about your bodies, thinking of yourself as "dirty" or "unclean" or "uncivilized"?  By hiding/covering yourselves, would you  suddenly feel like the body you have been taught to be ashamed of has disappeared - replaced by 'clean', 'appropriate', 'natural' ABERCROMBIE? - or would you take advantage of the skin-comfortable world and leave all of that unnecessary, expensive,  bashfulness-perpetuating clothing at home?

I don't find it difficult to imagine that in this hypothetical clothing-optional/unnecessary world, people would have far more compelling reasons to eat healthy, work out, and stay in shape - all things experts agree are extremely healthy - in order to BE healthy, be capable of participating in all the outdoor activities our society is rapidly moving indoors, and - of course - in order to have a physique that makes people feel physically fit and attractive and emotionally comfortable with themselves. 

So, in a world where the weather and temperatures caused clothing to lack virtually any usefulness, would modesty win out in your case?  For the sake of argument, let's imagine that the only clothing available to purchase for those wishing to cover themselves were burkas - the kind where only the eyes are visible.  Would modesty trump comfort for some of you?  Would irrational shame and loathing of your body make you among the first to make a mad dash to the market to stock up on burkas?  Would you be more interested in hiding the natural beauty of the human body - the beauty of YOUR body (IMO the most beautiful object in nature - be it male or female) with uncomfortable and arbitrary pieces of cloth, or would you shed your no-longer-necessary garments and celebrate the magnificence of your body by respecting it at the gym, becoming more acutely aware of your diet, and shedding eons of cumulative shame heaped on your shoulders from the time you were a toddler?
How would you respond to the new clothing situation?
You may choose only one


Votes accepted from 02/07/11 10:14 AM until the end of time
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll



--------------------


"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea, because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism." - Carl Sagan

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Perpetual nudity versus a perpetual Burka [Re: the spiral]
    #13920280 -

Hm, just in case someone takes this the wrong way and thinks I am out to "put down" or otherwise disrespect muslim religious garb, I'd like to clarify that I'm not.  The burka was simply the only garment I could think of that covers so much of the body.  If I came across as insulting in any way, I did not intend to, and I apologize in advance.

Also, I know the wording in my post could be taken as rather biased - the origins of the convoluted, arbitrary social norms regarding modesty and the covering of one's body were most easily described, without a significant amount of time spent parsing/proofreading/etc., in the way I described them.  Again, no offense is meant; the goal , for me anyway, is to clarify both the extent to which people cling to their level of modesty, as well as the ultimate origins of said modesty.  Thanks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Perpetual nudity versus a perpetual Burka [Re: the spiral]
    #13920372 -

I like pockets. :shrug:


--------------------
/ / / / / / / LISTEN TO MY MUSIC: E X E D / / / / / / /
The universe gives no fucks. And takes no fucks.
May His Circuits Ever Function

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Perpetual nudity versus a perpetual Burka [Re: The_Ghost]
    #13920396 -

You could always just wear a backpack.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Perpetual nudity versus a perpetual Burka [Re: CarnivalBarker]
    #13920412 -

CarnivalBarker said:
You could always just wear a backpack.



Not as convenient.

Also, clothes can be a form of decoration for the body. If everyone walked around naked it would be boring. I suppose even more people would have tattoos. Clothes that accentuate an existing body aesthetic are definately more :awesome: than  burka or w.e


--------------------
/ / / / / / / LISTEN TO MY MUSIC: E X E D / / / / / / /
The universe gives no fucks. And takes no fucks.
May His Circuits Ever Function

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Perpetual nudity versus a perpetual Burka [Re: The_Ghost]
    #13920467 -

I like being nude but you gotta protect your junk from stuff...like dogs:boxxy:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Perpetual nudity versus a perpetual Burka [Re: Parkseerf]
    #13920480 -

Parkseerf said:
I like being nude but you gotta protect your junk from stuff...like dogs:boxxy:



And zombies. I wouldnt wanna get bit in the dick by anything for that matter. Girls would have it easier in that scenario.


--------------------
/ / / / / / / LISTEN TO MY MUSIC: E X E D / / / / / / /
The universe gives no fucks. And takes no fucks.
May His Circuits Ever Function

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Perpetual nudity versus a perpetual Burka [Re: The_Ghost]
    #13920532 -

The_Ghost said:
Parkseerf said:
I like being nude but you gotta protect your junk from stuff...like dogs:boxxy:



And zombies. I wouldnt wanna get bit in the dick by anything for that matter. Girls would have it easier in that scenario.




Indeed they would:rockon:


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Perpetual nudity versus a perpetual Burka [Re: Parkseerf]
    #13920708 -

I would walk around my house nude all teh time. most people are so ashamed of there body it seems :lol: I love walking around the house naked balls a swaying.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Perpetual nudity versus a perpetual Burka [Re: Bodhi of Ankou]
    #13920965 -

nudity! I love being naked. Running around in the woods naked is top class.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Perpetual nudity versus a perpetual Burka [Re: Bodhi of Ankou]
    #13921006 -

Bodhi of Ankou said:
I would walk around my house nude all teh time. most people are so ashamed of there body it seems :lol: I love walking around the house naked balls a swaying.



Why don't you just do that now? It is perfectly acceptable to be naked in your own house. It's not like they are going to try and give you an indecent exposure charge in your own house. I'm naked in my own house all the time.

I would wear my skin everywhere. It would also be awesome because then I wouldn't be able to have a cell phone or wallet or any of that stuff on me. That would be so great. Sounds like a wonderful dream.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Perpetual nudity versus a perpetual Burka [Re: The_Ghost]
    #13922748 -

The_Ghost said:
Also, clothes can be a form of decoration for the body. If everyone walked around naked it would be boring. I suppose even more people would have tattoos. Clothes that accentuate an existing body aesthetic are definately more :awesome: than  burka or w.e



This.


--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Perpetual nudity versus a perpetual Burka [Re: the spiral]
    #13922813 -

i saw the thread title "perpetual burka" and got confused. are you talking about the Burqa (islamic veil) ?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Perpetual nudity versus a perpetual Burka [Re: the spiral]
    #13922829 -

I would get one but I would only wear it when hanging out with people who prefer to wear burqas.


--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Perpetual nudity versus a perpetual Burka [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #13922849 -

Burka open to private nudity.

Quote:
Vanity is a form of self-idolatry, in which one rejects God for the sake of one's own image, and thereby becomes divorced from the graces of God.




--------------------
http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Perpetual nudity versus a perpetual Burka [Re: Shins]
    #13922854 -

There are reasons other than vanity for preferring public nudity...


--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Perpetual nudity versus a perpetual Burka [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #13922871 -

yeah i know, but the way the OP worded the question, he made it seem like Vanity is a good thing.


--------------------
http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Perpetual nudity versus a perpetual Burka [Re: Shins]
    #13922875 -

I'm curious though, what other reasons are there?


--------------------
http://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Perpetual nudity versus a perpetual Burka [Re: Mello Kitty]
    #13922882 -

ellenallien said:
i saw the thread title "perpetual burka" and got confused. are you talking about the Burqa (islamic veil) ?



my mums is a muslim she always wears Hijab. it is rare that she will wear Burqa (full gown) or Niqab (face veil). i to have worn Hijab on several occasions growing up and i still will if i am practicing. if we r talking about the same type of "burka" Burqa if not i apologize


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Perpetual nudity versus a perpetual Burka [Re: Shins]
    #13922888 -

Comfort, rejection of fashion statements, preferring not to hide yourself from other people, the belief that man cannot improve on God's work...

(though I suppose that last one may be a twisted form of vanity)


--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Feminized Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Public Nudity Poll
( 1 2 all )
MorphinTime 9,424 39 10/01/12 11:25 PM
by MorphinTime
* Nudity (in general) bloodsheen 387 9 02/19/16 08:21 PM
by Adolin
* Perpetual Energy Devices
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
hTx 2,766 81 08/28/13 09:59 AM
by druqs
* I think it's time for perpetual phones.
( 1 2 all )
zZZz 2,288 22 03/28/13 05:42 AM
by Soulidarity
* Perpetual Motion mikeyboy 1,300 14 10/31/05 09:45 AM
by trendal
* Is it okay to force women wear burkas
( 1 2 all )
rupertbeaner 2,406 29 10/05/10 05:41 PM
by SillyBilly
* Garment workers protest in Bangladesh LobsterSauceDiscord 403 0 07/02/10 09:54 PM
by LobsterSauce
* American Culture Has a Warped View on Nudity
( 1 2 3 all )
Crystal G 2,483 45 05/10/14 09:38 AM
by Apostle

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
3,897 topic views. 5 members, 522 guests and 191 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.063 seconds spending 0.036 seconds on 23 queries.