Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]
Superbowl!
    #13908987 -

So, I don't get it.

Do you football-heads really enjoy this shit or do you just do it because that's what you're supposed to do to fit in or something? It seems everywhere I turn, there are people expectantly talking about the superbowl. Everyone seems to be cheering for one team or the other. Often because they used to live in that team's city.

But almost none of the players are from that city. For example, of the three quarterbacks who play for the Green Bay, Wisconsin Packers, two were born in Texas and one in California.

So WTF exactly are the fans cheering? I'll tell you how it looks from here. They're cheering:

A bunch of total strangers who they have never met and who they never WILL meet or even talk to on the phone, playing a game they will never be invite to play with a ball that isn't even round, in a stadium thousands of miles away, in a city almost none of the players are from and where they would not be living if not for the money they're paid to live there.

Makes perfect sense.  :nogame:


--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Superbowl! [Re: Diploid]
    #13909033 -

When I was a kid the players were from the area.  I find almost all sports watching a huge bore now. Can't remember the last time I cared. I'd much rather hike a canyon stream with an ultralight rig and battle rainbow trout.


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Superbowl! [Re: Icelander]
    #13909111 -

I used to have a huge glass bong stem that we would smoke "super bowls" from all day super bowl sunday, but i don't know where it went to. :bonghit:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Superbowl! [Re: walfredo]
    #13909128 -

walfredo said:
I used to have a huge glass bong stem that we would smoke "super bowls" from all day super bowl sunday, but i don't know where it went to. :bonghit:



Now THAT sounds like my kind of super bowl party!


--------------------
"His job is to shed light
And not to master."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Superbowl! [Re: fungivore]
    #13909137 -

I've never understood the absolute fervor that Americans work themselves into upon major sporting events like the Superbowl.  There's just no emotional connection between myself and these faces on TV; playing sports I can understand to be fun, but I certainly won't be watching the Packers versus the Steelers come this Sunday.  :ohwell:


--------------------
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Superbowl! [Re: Diploid]
    #13909344 -

I view such contests as ritualized tribal warfare.  They seem to provide a release for the reptilian part of the brain for battles over territory, giving slothful domesticated primates the voyeuristic masturbatory fantasy that their surrogate warrior group is defeating another in a primal battle.

Couch potatoes love such shit.  They also like to have their governments satisfy the same lust by bombing the innocent from 30,000 feet in far away lands - push button warfare and T.V. remote control sports are not far removed from one another.


--------------------
Lois, this family believes in the Easter Bunny.  He died for our sins in that helicopter crash.  Now, if you wanna go to hell, that's fine, but don't drag the rest of us down with you like a mentally handicapped rooster.
- Peter Griffin (Family Guy)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Superbowl! [Re: MutantBonobo]
    #13909364 -

MutantBonobo said:
I view such contests as ritualized tribal warfare.  They seem to provide a release for the reptilian part of the brain for battles over territory, giving slothful domesticated primates the voyeuristic masturbatory fantasy that their surrogate warrior group is defeating another in a primal battle.

Couch potatoes love such shit.  They also like to have their governments satisfy the same lust by bombing the innocent from 30,000 feet in far away lands - push button warfare and T.V. remote control sports are not far removed from one another.




Well put.

What is it that causes people to feel like they are part of the team? "WE WON!"
I have a friend who is SUPER into football. He is always referring to the team as his, something he is part of.
Is it really something that people get so obsessed with that they feel that sort of connection? Or is it just something to say?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Superbowl! [Re: MutantBonobo]
    #13909388 -

MutantBonobo said:
I view such contests as ritualized tribal warfare.  They seem to provide a release for the reptilian part of the brain for battles over territory, giving slothful domesticated primates the voyeuristic masturbatory fantasy that their surrogate warrior group is defeating another in a primal battle.

Couch potatoes love such shit.  They also like to have their governments satisfy the same lust by bombing the innocent from 30,000 feet in far away lands - push button warfare and T.V. remote control sports are not far removed from one another.



Reptilian part of the brain? Also, what do you have in mind when you mention the bombing of innocents?

As for the OP, I agree. Sports are extremely boring to watch in my view. I used to enjoy playing lacrosse, but that was the only "sport" (in the more classical sense) that I ever got into. I do enjoy watching extreme sports on t.v. though, especially snowboarding.


--------------------
Live your Life! :heart:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Superbowl! [Re: schadenfroh]
    #13909392 -

schadenfroh said:
MutantBonobo said:
I view such contests as ritualized tribal warfare.  They seem to provide a release for the reptilian part of the brain for battles over territory, giving slothful domesticated primates the voyeuristic masturbatory fantasy that their surrogate warrior group is defeating another in a primal battle.

Couch potatoes love such shit.  They also like to have their governments satisfy the same lust by bombing the innocent from 30,000 feet in far away lands - push button warfare and T.V. remote control sports are not far removed from one another.




Well put.

What is it that causes people to feel like they are part of the team? "WE WON!"
I have a friend who is SUPER into football. He is always referring to the team as his, something he is part of.
Is it really something that people get so obsessed with that they feel that sort of connection? Or is it just something to say?



No, the best is when they refer to the team as "we".


--------------------
Live your Life! :heart:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Superbowl! [Re: Diploid]
    #13909394 -

Diploid said:
So, I don't get it.

Do you football-heads really enjoy this shit or do you just do it because that's what you're supposed to do to fit in or something? It seems everywhere I turn, there are people expectantly talking about the superbowl. Everyone seems to be cheering for one team or the other. Often because they used to live in that team's city.

But almost none of the players are from that city. For example, of the three quarterbacks who play for the Green Bay, Wisconsin Packers, two were born in Texas and one in California.

So WTF exactly are the fans cheering? I'll tell you how it looks from here. They're cheering:

A bunch of total strangers who they have never met and who they will never WILL meet or even talk to on the phone, playing a game they will never be invite to play with a ball that isn't even round, in a stadium thousands of miles away, in a city almost none of the players are from and where they would not be living if not for the money they're paid to live there.

Makes perfect sense.  :nogame:



Has to do with superego/people wanting to be large coupled with ego/people thinking they are large.


--------------------
:*::*::*:

To be what you want to become you must deny what you need to become.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Superbowl! [Re: Diploid]
    #13909401 -

Oh did I forget friendship.


--------------------
:*::*::*:

To be what you want to become you must deny what you need to become.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Superbowl! [Re: 4896744]
    #13909422 -



--------------------
Lois, this family believes in the Easter Bunny.  He died for our sins in that helicopter crash.  Now, if you wanna go to hell, that's fine, but don't drag the rest of us down with you like a mentally handicapped rooster.
- Peter Griffin (Family Guy)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Superbowl! [Re: Icelander]
    #13909427 -

Quote:
Can't remember the last time I cared. I'd much rather hike a canyon stream with an ultralight rig and battle rainbow trout.



What's the point spread on the trout?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Superbowl! [Re: MutantBonobo]
    #13910091 -

Quote:
Also, what do you have in mind when you mention the bombing of innocents?



Do you really need to ask?



Yes, I would like to see a case where the loss of life couldn't be subjectively justified.


--------------------
Live your Life! :heart:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Superbowl! [Re: Diploid]
    #13911225 -

The Superbowl, and other football games, are about looking at mens' bodies in tight uniforms.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Superbowl! [Re: HippieChick8]
    #13911296 -

Moore Goode Dick? :rofl2:


--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Superbowl! [Re: Diploid]
    #13911785 -

As a straight man, I do NOT find that amusing. :waits:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Superbowl! [Re: OrgoneConclusion]
    #13911925 -

I'll be watching the superbowl with family and friends. It's a nice excuse to get off work and get together with companions to eat wings. I get a rush when a game is close and I know that the players are pushing themselves to succeed. I feel that tension in myself. I've got a competitive edge to compare with that lingers from my own time in competitive sports. Where it's down to the wire and you're making that last push hoping to pull it out. 

If the game is a blowout it produces an opposite effect. I generally lose interest quickly knowing that one team is feeling mighty and the other team is feeling crummy. Maybe it has to do with life... I want life to be an even match even though it's clearly stacked against me :wink:


--------------------
Why shouldn't the truth be stranger than fiction?
Fiction, after all, has to make sense. -- Mark Twain

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Superbowl! [Re: HippieChick8]
    #13912036 -

HippieChick8 said:
The Superbowl, and other football games, are about looking at mens' bodies in tight uniforms.



What are your thoughts on feeling tight male bodies out of uniforms?


--------------------
Lois, this family believes in the Easter Bunny.  He died for our sins in that helicopter crash.  Now, if you wanna go to hell, that's fine, but don't drag the rest of us down with you like a mentally handicapped rooster.
- Peter Griffin (Family Guy)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Superbowl! [Re: Diploid] * 3
    #13912311 -

You're trying to look at a visceral, aesthetic ritual, and analyze it rationally.  That's just not going to work.  Do you do the same for opera or ballet?  In the case of sports, it comes down to a very primal instinct: tribalism.  People have an innate desire to form groups and compete against others.  The fact that the players are not from the places they represent is irrelevant.  The fact is that they are representing that locality, and bear the heraldry of that place.  Once people identify with a group, that group's success feels like a success for that person.  Vicariously identifying with others is a completely natural thing for people to do.  It's what we do in a movie or play.

I say this as someone who doesn't care much for sports, but I do put an effort into understanding why others do.  Occasionally I am able to allow myself to get caught up in the festivities.  When I went to London with my family, we spent our first day at a soccer game(or as they call it, football).  Unlike in American sports where they play music from the loudspeakers, the fans themselves were standing up and chanting their own fight songs.  It was really a thrilling atmosphere, and even amidst severe jetlag, I got caught up in it.  If you can't understand that thrill of getting caught up in that wave of excitement, you're not going to understand sports.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Interview with a Reptilian. Revelation 938 2 02/09/02 02:05 PM
by Anonymous
* Superbowl Commercial Cups 617 6 02/07/11 01:39 PM
by BrenExplode
* blazing with reptilians Lallafa 788 6 04/08/02 11:18 PM
by tak
* Psychics, Reptilian Aliens, and Meteorology DiploidM 708 5 09/08/05 09:19 AM
by OldWoodSpecter
* New topic. There is no jesus!
( 1 2 3 all )
Fliquid 5,798 41 09/30/02 05:39 PM
by Cheeba
* What do you know about Reptillians?
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 all )
FungusmaximusFM 5,799 108 01/27/05 12:31 AM
by Cosm
* Tom Robbins on Floral Consciousness and Empathetic Telepathy
( 1 2 all )
deranger 13,606 38 02/08/09 12:58 AM
by zenmasterzoe
* Icke's Reptiles
( 1 2 all )
djeda 5,131 36 08/19/04 02:49 PM
by gettinjiggywithit

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
3,250 topic views. 1 members, 6 guests and 22 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.03 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 16 queries.