Minnesota is such a great state and a great music scene. I decided to share some with you.
Lucy Michelle and the Velvet Lapels are a great group from right here in the Twin Cities. They play all the time around here and are one of my favorite bands. I just got back from a solo show of Lucy Michelle's at the Loring Pasta Bar. It was so great and it is what inspired me to make this post. I talked to her afterwards and she is just a great person. This music is highly recommended. It can be hard to find music online or in stores. She just told me that iTunes has their stuff, but I prefer to buy on physical. Their most recent album is available on vinyl, the first two albums are being reissued as CDs in the coming months.
Special Party Time For Everybody (not the best version, but the best I can find, the studio version is amazing):
Myspace: Check out Not Keeping Company and the other three tracks there.
Of course everybody knows Atmosphere. Slug has gained nationwide recognition as one of the top artists in "underground" hip-hop.
Modern Man's Hustle:
Between the Lines:
4:30 AM (off their first album Overcast!):
If you want more check out the following albums: Lucy Ford Overcast! When Life Gives You Lemons You Paint That Shit Gold
Dessa is part of the Doomtree group. This girl can rap, she's beautiful, and smart. What more could you want. I saw her live and she just knows how to spit. She gradutated from the University of Minnesota with a degree in philosophy. Simply an amazing woman.
Dixon's Girl:
Dutch:
Eyedea & Abilities. Eyedea just passed away this last year. He was a great guy.
One Twenty:
P.O.S. Most notable person in the Doomtree collective.
Bleeding Hearts Club (along with Slug of Atmosphere):
Dosh is another Minneapolis based performer that is absolutely amazing. I went to one of his shows the day after his sound man/best friend died and him and the band dedicated a song to him. There was so much emotion that I couldn't help but cry. He often time works and writes music with Andrew Bird.
Andrew Bird and Martin Dosh - Simple X (they wrote this song together):
MPLS Rock and Roll:
Capture the Flag:
If you like punk you can't skip Lifter Puller. These guys were a Minneapolis institution and would often times play shows with Atmosphere back in the 90s. I wish I could have gone to some of those.
To Live and Die in LBI:
Trampled by Turtles is a group from Duluth. I don't know much about these guys except they make damn good music. Here's something off the new album.
Wait So Long:
Happy Apple. A Little Minnesota jazz. Mike Lewis also plays in Fat Kid Wednesdays and often times tours with Dosh.
Very Small Rock:
Prince. 'Nuff said.
Bob Dylan. Although he tried to downplay his Midwestern roots to try and fit in and create an image, he is still a Minnesotan.
Tangled Up In Blue:
Tapes 'N' Tapes - Hang Them All:
Low - Hatchet:
Let me know if you like any of it, don't like any of it. Feel free to add anything fellow Minnesotans.
|