Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Are these oysters?
    #13600744 -

Hi, I was pleased to see these and I suppose they are oysters.  Could anyone conifrm this?  The specimens were found in eastern Canada.  They seem to smell like asparagus.



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Are these oysters? [Re: drama]
    #13600749 -

Yeah.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Are these oysters? [Re: elprawn]
    #13600759 -

elprawn said:
Yeah.



and i want them for breakfast


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Are these oysters? [Re: elprawn]
    #13600766 -

the oysters I know have a longer stem... not sure about this one.


--------------------




"Whales have deep thoughts"

:sun:Dreams are the fuel of the soul:sun:

:peace:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Are these oysters? [Re: LuckOfTheFryish]
    #13600774 -

Hi, thanks.  Could you guys elaborate on what species it is and on the characteristics that indicate it is indeed oysters?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Are these oysters? [Re: drama]
    #13600800 -

Pleurotus ostreatus.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Are these oysters? [Re: drama]
    #13600808 -

drama said:
Hi, thanks.  Could you guys elaborate... ...on the characteristics that indicate it is indeed oysters?



"The mushroom has a broad, fan or oyster-shaped cap spanning 5–25 cm; natural specimens range from white to gray or tan to dark-brown; the margin is inrolled when young, and is smooth and often somewhat lobed or wavy. The flesh is white, firm, and varies in thickness due to stipe arrangement. The gills of the mushroom are white to cream, and descend on the stalk if present. If so, the stipe is off-center with a lateral attachment to wood. The spore print of the mushroom is white to lilac-gray, and best viewed on dark background. The mushroom's stipe is often absent. When present, it is short and thick." - Wikipedia.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Are these oysters? [Re: drama]
    #13600814 -


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Are these oysters? [Re: vjp]
    #13600933 -

I found about 10 lbs, of these the other day, but they were all infested with clear larvae. Everyone had tons in them, I was so pissed . It was my first time finding an edible.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Are these oysters? [Re: cubeeater]
    #13601620 -

Fabulous find! I am jealous.

cubeeater said:
I found about 10 lbs, of these the other day, but they were all infested with clear larvae. Everyone had tons in them, I was so pissed . It was my first time finding an edible.




Now you know where to go next season! Keep checking up on the spot and soon  you'll have pristine, gorgeous, delicious oysters to munch.


--------------------
I advise any noob looking to identify mushrooms to fill out the ID form and provide clear photographs. Knowledge is a privilege and deserves respect. Let's give due props to the experts!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Are these oysters? [Re: cubeeater]
    #13601865 -

cubeeater said:
I found about 10 lbs, of these the other day, but they were all infested with clear larvae. Everyone had tons in them, I was so pissed . It was my first time finding an edible.



You know its not very difficult to wash the larvae off of the oysters, right? They tend to grow around running water too - which is handy for the clean. I always find them growing around creeks/rivers, and when I pick them I just let hold them under water and the rushing water pulls any bugs/debris off the mushroom. Sometimes it takes a gentle rub...

Anyway, nice finds Drama - should be tasty (especially the smaller ones :wink:)!


--------------------

__________________________________
In case you didn't know, The Shroomery holds a Picture of The Month poll each month and anyone is welcome to nominate pictures and vote! Keep it active folks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Are these oysters? [Re: Oreganic]
    #13601881 -

Where abouts in eastern canada?

Are they frozen?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Are these oysters? [Re: vjp]
    #13602030 -

niiiice.! i may check one of my local spots.

oreganic, i find them alot around creeks too! spring troutfishing/oyster picking is sweet!!:smile:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Are these oysters? [Re: psylosymonreturns]
    #13602173 -

psylosymonreturns said:
niiiice.! i may check one of my local spots.

oreganic, i find them alot around creeks too! spring troutfishing/oyster picking is sweet!!:smile:



:headbanger:


--------------------

__________________________________
In case you didn't know, The Shroomery holds a Picture of The Month poll each month and anyone is welcome to nominate pictures and vote! Keep it active folks!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Are these oysters? [Re: Oreganic]
    #13602579 -

Hi,

Vjp, "Where abouts in eastern canada? Are they frozen?" I reside in Nova Scotia, and the weather has been rather temperate lately so they were not frozen.  I searched endlessly for them in the forest over the past few years, and the one time I wasn't looking, I found them on a casual walk in a city.  Talk about irony.

Oreganic, "Anyway, nice finds Drama - should be tasty (especially the smaller ones )!"  I never noticed a difference in taste between the larger and smaller ones, but I shall pay close attention tomorrow when I cook them.

Elprawn, "Pleurotus ostreatus."  Thanks for the classification.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Are these oysters? [Re: drama]
    #13602780 -

No problem.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Are these oysters? [Re: elprawn]
    #13603659 -

Nice finds:thumbup:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Are these oysters? [Re: Hook420]
    #13604083 -

Sorry for going off topic, but the Oyster's I had found had the larvae/maggot eating caves through the mushrooms inside. The insides were so riddled with wholes they were almost empty. So they will produce on the same tree trunks?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Are these oysters? [Re: cubeeater]
    #13604167 -

Why shouldn't they?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Are these oysters? [Re: cubeeater]
    #13604255 -

cubeeater said:
Sorry for going off topic, but the Oyster's I had found had the larvae/maggot eating caves through the mushrooms inside. The insides were so riddled with wholes they were almost empty. So they will produce on the same tree trunks?



Don't worry - one of the awesome things about a large majority of mushrooms is that they recognize such occurrences and drop spores before it's too late. On top of that it only take 1 single cell to replicate itself.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Amanita Infestation UberAlles 1,479 12 09/26/08 04:12 PM
by chrissmith002
* Hunting for Morels found Oysters instead?? *Pics* ID confirmation Please Ice House Shaman 1,643 9 04/09/07 07:47 PM
by LouiseLouise
* Secret Grotto Oyster and Company hokemon 710 3 01/10/06 07:38 PM
by wietstocker
* Pathological oyster infestation! Paresthesia 452 3 10/07/09 05:46 AM
by Paresthesia
* Mushroom hunting pictures, Boletes, oysters, and others billbraski 1,226 2 09/15/04 06:46 PM
by ToxicMan
* 20lbs of fresh oysters weiliiiiiii 895 15 12/29/08 10:09 AM
by weiliiiiiii
* Hunting in PA: Morels, Oysters, Unknowns and... OVOIDS! (TONS of PICS!)
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Gumby 19,158 62 03/18/12 10:33 PM
by log
* Hens, Oysters, Lactarius, Corts, and more! Plenty of Pics. eris 3,283 12 10/03/06 09:57 PM
by ToxicMan

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: ToxicMan, karode13, inski, Alan Rockefeller, Duggstar, TimmiT, Anglerfish, Tmethyl, Lucis, Doc9151, Land Trout
2,836 topic views. 0 members, 9 guests and 48 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.023 seconds spending 0.005 seconds on 16 queries.