Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinebillbraski
just some dood.

Loc: the woods behind your hou...
Mushroom hunting pictures, Boletes, oysters, and others
    #3140059 - 09/15/04 08:13 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Went mushroom hunting in the Fraser Valley in British Columbia up a small mountain and found these:

Bolete (some type of slippery jack?) the cap was very slimy.

another:

the haul: ( I ended up throwing these away because they were infested with tiny bugs  :frown: )

amanita pin:

amanita

oysters:

these i found on a lawn: coprinus micaceus?

and these are an unknown, if anybody could help ID , it would be appreciated.
found them on the lawn as well, it had a brown spore print and had a really unique smell to it, like almonds or licorice or something. It smelled good! It started to turn yellow after a couple days. I guess the cap was about 2" across and 4" tall.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePsilygirl
cyan goddess
 User Gallery

Loc: PNW
Re: Mushroom hunting pictures, Boletes, oysters, and others [Re: billbraski]
    #3140188 - 09/15/04 08:33 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

you're boletes could be slippery jacks, but they look to be in the boletus genus--there seems to be reticulation at the stem. but its hard to see reticulation unless in person or a very high res. image... and sometimes even thats not enough.

you're last mushroom is probably an agaricus, the almond smell, veil reminents and pink gills give that away. with the brown spore print and on grass, it could be A. arvensis, but i'm not certain.

--------------------
"Love says 'I am everything.' Wisdom says 'I am nothing.' Between the two, my life flows."

Puget Sound Mycological Society

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Mushroom hunting pictures, Boletes, oysters, and others [Re: billbraski]
    #3140282 - 09/15/04 08:46 PM (12 years, 7 months ago)

Your boletes are Leccinums. The stems show the scabers, and the third photo shows some of the bruising that is a common feature of that genus.

The possible Coprinus micaceus do look like them. To verify them you need to look closely at the surface of the cap for tiny mica like (like glitter) particles. If you find some then that's what they are. If there aren't any, they could have washed off. There are also a few *very* similar Coprinus species that lack the particles.

That last mushroom, as Psilygirl suggests, is an Agaricus. IDing Agaricus to species is difficult. In general the yellow stainers with sweet (almondy or licorice) odors are edible, although many people experience stomach upsets after eating them. The general advice is that you should try a small quantity (less than a tespoon) and wait overnight to see ifyou'll become ill. If you get sick the smaller quantity will reduce the severity. If you don't get sick, enjoy the rest!

Happy mushrooming!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification