Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineUberAlles
Stranger
 User Gallery
Amanita Infestation
    #1549052 - 05/14/03 08:49 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

It seems like everyone has been finding Amanita's recently. Amanita's may possibly be the best mushroom out there and speaking for the unlucky, I would like to ask a few questions for anyone has found an Amanita Muscaria recently.
1. What type of area did you find it in?
2. Where there trees nearby? If so, what kind?
3. What's the climate like where they were found?
If you can answer these questions that would be greatly appreciated. One more thing (for the experts) I've heard that Amanita Muscaria has yet to be cultivated synthetically. Why is that?

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Amanita Infestation [Re: UberAlles]
    #1549099 - 05/14/03 09:14 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

It's not cultivated because it's mycorrhizal. That means that it lives in a mutualistic symbiosis with the trees it's growing with. The fungus absorbs nutients from the soil and passes them along to the tree. The tree gives sugars from photosynthesis. Neither the tree or the fungus will survive very well without the other. Trees without mycorrhizal partners are stunted and never mature.

It will probably be possible to germinate spores and produce a culture of the mycelium. It will probably be very difficult to get cultures to fruit. Don't let that stop you, if you really want to do it. Just expect that you're doing something that nobody's done before, and it'll probably be difficult.

Good luck and happy mushroming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

OfflineUberAlles
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Amanita Infestation [Re: ToxicMan]
    #1549128 - 05/14/03 09:25 PM (13 years, 8 months ago)

I believe it's possible and can be done. But wouldn't it just be easier to inject some spores near the subjected tree and have Amanita fruit? I'm going to experiment with this a little bit and If I have any success I'll be sure to share the results. But all I need is Amanita spores, anyone want to donate?

OfflineRemy
Bitches Brew
 User Gallery

Loc: Atlanta, GA
    #1549556 - 05/15/03 12:32 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Although it has not been done with Amanita, it is possible to inoculate the roots of saplings with mycorhizzal species of mushroom. I know it has been done (or atleast attempted) with species of truffles. It would be very impressive if you (or anyone) succeeded in doing this with Amanitas.

Offlinerommstein2001
Rise ye Must!
 User Gallery

Loc: South GA
Re: Amanita Infestation [Re: Remy]
    #1550012 - 05/15/03 03:01 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Also it would take anywhere from 2-10 years before you ever saw fruits, and there is no way of really checking to see how it is doing in the mean time, so basicly you check it every season or so and hope by year 12 you haven't wasted 12 years :grin:
Also I'm sure someone somewhere has attempted it, though probably not documented. I read somewhere that someone Uprooted a wild 5 y/o sappling that had A. muscaria fruiting around, and in turn fruited in it's new home. I'd say I'll look for the article.... but i never will so yeah...

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Amanita Infestation [Re: rommstein2001]
    #1550333 - 05/15/03 08:53 AM (13 years, 8 months ago)

Experts cannot even get them growing in vitro so why should you. They won't grow by injecting spores into the trees or the ground.

SOme patches can have hundreds of pounds.

One of the fairies moivies shows a good patch of about twnety pounds ont he ground.

There is also a closed naval hospital in Astoria Oregon with patches of massive Amanita muscaria there. Some of my erowid photos were shot at theat site.

mj

OfflineUK Explorer
Viva La Colonización!
Male User Gallery

Loc: UK Flag
    #8988281 - 09/26/08 07:46 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

UberAlles said:
It seems like everyone has been finding Amanita's recently. Amanita's may possibly be the best mushroom out there and speaking for the unlucky, I would like to ask a few questions for anyone has found an Amanita Muscaria recently.
If you can answer these questions that would be greatly appreciated. One more thing (for the experts) I've heard that Amanita Muscaria has yet to be cultivated synthetically. Why is that? 

1. Usually on the grassy sides of pathways, edges of forest/woodlands in a bit of a grassy clearing.

2. 95% of the fly agaric's I have found this season have been under silver birch trees. Only a few have been under Oaks and one or two under pine. An old patch I haven't yet visited this season (everyone knows about it) had them exclusively under oak.

3. The climate here (UK) is that it was very wet a week or two ago but has been sunny and dried out a lot recently. After a forage a couple of days after a rare day of rain I saw that loads of young agarics were sprouting up (I will be returning to harvest!). The area I find them is extremely sandy (something to do with a masive lake in the ice age) and so farmers in the 1800's left the woodlands in tact because of the poor soil there

--------------------
THE RISE OF THE WOODLOVERS - An Ongoing Project to Introduce Exotic Species To The United Kingdom And Encourage Their Naturalisation

OfflineN2loma
Foaming Pipe Snake
Male User Gallery

Re: Amanita Infestation [Re: UK Explorer]
    #8988505 - 09/26/08 10:02 AM (8 years, 3 months ago)

For eastern American yellow-orange fly agaric (A. muscaria var. guessowii):

1. usually grassy fields or lawns under or around the 'infected' trees
2. I've only found them by eastern white pine so far, frequently in residential zones or by shopping centers
3. temperate climate with a moderate amount of rainfall; droughts typical in summer. Not far from Washington, DC

--------------------
"So can you tell me what exactly does freedom mean/
If I'm not free to be as twisted as I wanna be" -Divide by Disturbed

Good Guitars Don't Cry

OfflineEl Zorro
It's all in the feet, Baby
Re: Amanita Infestation [Re: UK Explorer]
    #8989067 - 09/26/08 01:08 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

UK Explorer said:
Quote:

UberAlles said:

1. Usually on the grassy sides of pathways, edges of forest/woodlands in a bit of a grassy clearing.

2. 95% of the fly agaric's I have found this season have been under silver birch trees. Only a few have been under Oaks and one or two under pine. An old patch I haven't yet visited this season (everyone knows about it) had them exclusively under oak.

3. The climate here (UK) is that it was very wet a week or two ago but has been sunny and dried out a lot recently. After a forage a couple of days after a rare day of rain I saw that loads of young agarics were sprouting up (I will be returning to harvest!). The area I find them is extremely sandy (something to do with a masive lake in the ice age) and so farmers in the 1800's left the woodlands in tact because of the poor soil there

I don't think this guy is waiting around 5 1/2 years for an answer to his question.
But I could be wrong.

Offlinesnapperhead
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Amanita Infestation [Re: El Zorro]
    #8989749 - 09/26/08 04:13 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

I'm finding mine in various locations, but the largest yeilds have been under douglas firs in multiple numbers.

I've seen pantherina at upper elevations, but no agaric.  They seem to be at lower elevations in open, coniferous environments.

Invisiblegolden1
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: north korea
Re: Amanita Infestation [Re: snapperhead]
    #8990050 - 09/26/08 05:41 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

they are literally everywhere near me right now(long island, ny)
I must have gathered 30 from my yard and even more are growing,
along the highway I spotted over a hundred, I saw one almost constantly haha

they were only near groups of pine, and the weather has been cooler and humid

Invisibleweiliiiiiii
Stranger

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Amanita Infestation [Re: golden1]
    #8990082 - 09/26/08 05:55 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

Yall should start a official fall amanita thread, im serious there have been tons of finds recently.

Offlinechrissmith002
Warlock
Male User Gallery

Re: Amanita Infestation [Re: weiliiiiiii]
    #8990167 - 09/26/08 06:12 PM (8 years, 3 months ago)

I found a ton yesterday popping up all over; off the side of a path in a park. They were directly under pine trees. I live in Washington, the climate: it has been raining the past week or two and has been cooling down drastically. Hope this info helped you! There are some pics in my profile of them

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification