Home | Community | Message Board

Crestline Sales - MycoPath
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Website Announcements and Feature Feedback

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineYSJ
ThoughtShopper

Loc: Undisclosed at this time.
A question for the technical admins
    #1334771 - 02/25/03 02:16 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

First off, please let me say that this suggestion comes not out of any feeling that this place is in any way inadequate - quite the opposite; in the brief time I've been posting, and the slightly longer time I've just spent reading, I am greatly impressed by almost everything I've seen here.  So, to whoever started/maintains the site, bravo!

That said, I just wanted to ask if there is any reason why the site hasn't been tunnelled over SSL (443), a la The Hive (to give one example).  I try & use PGP for as much of my email as possible....While I've never bothered poking thru user's emails myself (whilst wearing my RL sysadmin hat), it isn't fellow geeks I'm worried about these days - and having dug through the entrails of sendmail & the like, I'm acutely aware of *just* how insecure & unprivate sending an email is...And, having done in-depth debugging including ripping packets up for most common protocols, I'm also painfully aware of just how insecure & unprivate webbrowsing itself is....

Paranoid?  Uhm, well, yeah....If you aren't, well, check your headlines  -- or, even better, hit thomas.loc.gov and check out the actual *text* of some of the works of foulness which our elected (ha!) reps are plotting for us....

Please note that this is the *only* criticism I can make of this place....Beyond that, it's wonderful, and that you're running Debian (and with the nearly latest release of OpenSSL- yay!) says something :wink:

Anyhoo, take that as you will.  I hope the suggestion helps, or at least provides some food for thought.

Regards,

~YSJ~ 

--------------------
"There are no angels unless they are Angels of Death...And I would never again doubt my place among them or lose my resolve to serve in their wild ranks."         
                                                            -T. Ligotti

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offline3DSHROOM
loon
Male

Re: A question for the technical admins [Re: YSJ]
    #1335419 - 02/25/03 05:15 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

The SSL site hasn't really been taken care of. I did some work today and got the new content management script fairly happy running under it. More work will be done on it in the future.

In another month or so we plan on doing a server overhaul that will include hardware upgrades as well as a fresh install of Gentoo linux. After this it will be much easier to keep updated.

--------------------
Your friendly neighborhood loon

OfflineYSJ
ThoughtShopper

Loc: Undisclosed at this time.
Re: A question for the technical admins [Re: 3DSHROOM]
    #1335667 - 02/25/03 06:22 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

>The SSL site hasn't really been taken care of. I did some work today and got the
>new content management script fairly happy running under it. More work will
>be done on it in the future.

I wasn't aware it was already underway - fantastic!

>In another month or so we plan on doing a server overhaul that will include
>hardware upgrades

Waycool.  Well, fwiw, if there's anything I can lend any assistance with, please let me know - as I'm trying to avoid self-incrimination, I'll just say that I at least know enough scripting to A) get myself in trouble, and B) make stupid jokes like this:

[gwbush@united.states home]# perl -pi -e 's/freedom/my_fascist_agenda/g;' *

If you'd like details of where my skill areas are, PM or email me, I suppose.  I don't have a huge surplus of free time, but, OTOH, I *do* move faster than thought :wink:

Regards,

~YSJ~

--------------------
"There are no angels unless they are Angels of Death...And I would never again doubt my place among them or lose my resolve to serve in their wild ranks."         
                                                            -T. Ligotti

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Feedback and Administration >> Website Announcements and Feature Feedback