Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Mycobags, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
Loc: KY
mycobag ready to fruit?
    #1312366 - 02/16/03 06:54 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

hello everyone,
i bought a mycobag and tc spores from the works and innoculated on the 23rd of january. the mycelium became visible on the 8th of february and have been spreading consistently. so now it is the 17th of february, and i have noticed that the spreading has slowed incredibly in the last week. i have humidity and temperature just fine. the bag appears almost COMPLETELY colonized, except for the bottom of the bag; the top and sides are entirely covered. there are no contams. the bag has inflated decently and smells mildly of mushrooms. i have no pictures, but i am hoping that my description will suffice. my question is, am i ready to initiate pinning even though the very bottom of the substrate is not fully colonized? considering that every other side is smothered in mycelium, i would say that the bag as a whole must be nearly 90+% complete. am i just wasting time wanting it to colonize fully, or should i drop the temperature and introduce light? thank you very much for your responses. i am so grateful. peace everyone.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflinePooGrower
Mr. Hanky

Loc: East Side
Re: mycobag ready to fruit? [Re: TerrapinSunrise]
    #1312402 - 02/16/03 07:05 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Put it in the fridge for 6 hours. Then add light. 2 to 5 days you should see primordia pins.

--------------------
"I WONT STOP TILL I HAVE A LIFE TIME SUPPLY" "dont be offended by anything i say, its in a joking manner"

InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
    #1313404 - 02/17/03 08:26 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

hey, thank you very much. i will follow your suggestion as of tomorrow and we shall see how it goes! thanks again for your help.

OfflineMycotopian
Mycotopian

Re: mycobag ready to fruit? [Re: PooGrower]
    #1313595 - 02/17/03 09:59 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Should he mix the bag up? I am assuming he hasn't done this at all. Maybe this will help move things along better.

--------------------
"Hockey is a sport for white men. Basketball is a sport for black men. Golf is a sport for white men dressed like black pimps."

Anonymous

#1313598 - 02/17/03 10:01 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

IF ITS FULLY COLINIZED DONT MIX IT UP ITS BETTER NOT TO

OfflineCockyMandrill
addict

Re: mycobag ready to fruit? [Re: fee]
    #1313606 - 02/17/03 10:04 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Once my friends bags reached that point, he just set them on the windowsill touching the window for 6 hours or so every day. Being that its like 15F here the window is pretty cold so its basically cold shocking and giving it light so it can pin.

InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
Re: mycobag ready to fruit? [Re: CockyMandrill]
    #1313822 - 02/17/03 11:41 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

i mixed the bag up twice. once immediately after innoculation. then once after the mycelium was starting to spread significantly.
the mycelium had appeared relatively quickly (barely over a week after innoculation) and spread significantly every day for a couple weeks max. the past week it just slowed down a shit-load. there is now mycelium appearing on the interior of the bag above the substrate. yet, the bottom remains uncolonized (as viewed from the surface; the interior is probably choke-full). from what i have read, colonization must only be around 90+% to start pinning.
i plan to allow the first flush to fruit within the bag. then, i was thinking of cutting open the bag and placing the cake in a terrarium so that the mushrooms have more surface area to pin off of. does anyone think that i run the risk of contams if i birth the cake even though it is not *completely* colonized? thanks for everything.

Offlineshirley knott
not my real name
 User Gallery
Loc: London
Trusted Cultivator
    #1313879 - 02/17/03 12:05 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

what are you gonna do for air exchange?

--------------------
buh

OfflineCockyMandrill
addict

Re: mycobag ready to fruit? [Re: shirley knott]
    #1313889 - 02/17/03 12:09 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

You really dont need much air exchange, thats teh nice thing about these bags. You can pull the top of the bag apart to move the air a little, otherwise oxygen gets in by diffusion because of the high amounts outside and the little amounts inside. High levels of CO2 would normally be a problem, but inside the bag is completely sterile and no worries of contams.

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

Loc: Lotus Land!! B.C.
Re: mycobag ready to fruit? [Re: CockyMandrill]
    #1313902 - 02/17/03 12:14 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Well i'd prepare a bunch of rye, rip that bag open and take a colonised chunk to innoculate a bunch more jars. Then put the big "cake" in a terrarium. That way you have your next jars on the go, and still make use of the bag you have. I would wait for it to completely colonise though but once it is the contams cant really get through the mycelium.

--------------------
"Know your Body - Know your Mind - Know your Substance - Know your Source.

Lest we forget. "

Anonymous

Re: mycobag ready to fruit? [Re: Azmodeus]
    #1313909 - 02/17/03 12:16 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Post deleted by administrator.

InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
Re: mycobag ready to fruit? [Re: Anonymous]
    #1313943 - 02/17/03 12:26 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

well, i just put it in the refrigerator.
it is not an option (on this grow) to prepare any rye or casing. that is why i want to leave it inside the bag for now.
i guess if it starts pinning inside a sterile bag that is only 90% colonized, there is no problem? ( there is no way contams can get inside and then down to the bottom of the bag where some non-colonized substrate lies). but as for the process of pinning, will this bag proceed, or will it not pin if not 100% done?

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

#1313966 - 02/17/03 12:32 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

If your fruiting it in the bag, then you have no worry of contams, and it should pin nicely regardless of a little uncolonised substrate! :wink:

Still its a shame....once this bag has fruited, you'll need to start from multi-spore again....and believe you me, its not nice to be waiting for mycelium once you've had a taste of the fruits!

--------------------

Lest we forget. "

Anonymous

#1314054 - 02/17/03 12:57 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

"MY FRIEND" FRUITED HIS MYCO BAG IN THE BAG AND OUNCE HE WANTED TO CROP IT HE UT IT OPEN AND REMOVED THE SHROOMS.THEN HE BRUSHED LIGHTLY THE UNCOLINIZED SHIT ON THE BOTTOM OFF. NEXT HE DUNKED IT IN DISTILLED WATER WITH 10% H2O2 FOR 12 HOURS AND THE SCEOND FLUSH HAD FRUITS THAT WERE HUGE. I HAVE A PIC OF HIS PINS THAT STARTED ON IT (THE MYCO BAG IS ON THE RIGHT IN HIS FRUITING CHAMBER) AND THE FRUITS SO FUCKING BIG IT WAS UNREAL I WISH I HAD A PIC OF THE FRUITS BUT I DONT BUT COMPARE THE SIZE OF THE PIN TO THE SIZE OF THE MYCO CAKE. YOU OBVIOUSLLY KNOW HOW BIG THE CAKE IS. WELL HERE YOU GO AND GOOD LUCK. THE STRAIN WAS CREEPER THAT HE DID BY THE WAY.

REMEMBER THESE ARE JUST PINS
HOPE THIS HELPS YOUR PHRIEND FEE

Edited by Anonymous (02/17/03 12:58 PM)

InvisibleTerrapinSunrise
Stranger
    #1314066 - 02/17/03 01:00 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

hey thanks for the input azmodeus.
i know it is a shame to fruit in the bag and then start all over. however, this is my first go at all of this and i am just starting to understand this particular aspect of mycology. in the future, the possibility is very high that other methods/casings/teks/etc will be used. for now, the goal is just a sure-fire success from an elementary project. thanks for all your help. peace.

OfflineAzmodeus
Seeker

#1314069 - 02/17/03 01:01 PM (14 years, 8 months ago)

Good luck!! :smile:

--------------------

Lest we forget. "

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Seeds Store Buy CBD, Cannabis Seeds, Compare CBD   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Mycobags, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation