Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

North Spore Shop: Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Looking for 7.1 Channel speaker systems, not as easy to find as you may think.
    #13087299 -

I would want one that is HDMI ready, and none of these systems seem to be in the reasonable range as most 5.1 speaker systems can be found.

I figure since I am able to accomadate it, the extra speakers would be future proof or at the least just duplicate the channels as I know they do, but I do know of things which utilize it, particularly games.

I have some older 2 channel big ass speakers and really they suit me okay but i think the whole system takes up too much room now.

I don't necessarily want big, super powerful high end 7.1 sound but it would have to be HDMI, since I can do that with my PC and its far more convenient anyway. No one seems to know much about 7.1 sound at any store I actually go to. It is kind of annoying.


--------------------
  we could all use a little more sunshine.

:shrug: yeah, she's funny and somewhat interesting.  not a beauty queen, but not bad lookin.  i'd feel quite honored to fuck janine garofalo.
-tiny_rabid_birds

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Looking for 7.1 Channel speaker systems, not as easy to find as you may think. [Re: Cannabischarlie]
    #13089432 -

wow, no one knows?

I would think someone had one of these by now


--------------------
  we could all use a little more sunshine.

:shrug: yeah, she's funny and somewhat interesting.  not a beauty queen, but not bad lookin.  i'd feel quite honored to fuck janine garofalo.
-tiny_rabid_birds

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Looking for 7.1 Channel speaker systems, not as easy to find as you may think. [Re: Cannabischarlie]
    #13089527 -

Many people would disagree, but in my experience, a very large room is the most beneficial for 7.1.  If you have a bedroom, or dorm room, its just too small to appreciate the separation that comes from 7.1.  I'd suggest 20 ft. X 20 ft. but that is just from my experience, and it's rather difficult to find rooms that size.

Other than that the process is relatively straightforward:

1.  Buy a 7.1 receiver with HDMI input.
2.  Hook up the speakers.

Even if you don't get media with discrete 7.1. encoding, the receiver will more than likely have some fancy mode where even stereo sound is matrixed into 7.1.  Since buying a replacement Yamaha, they are my brand of choice.

Bestbuy has a 7.2 samsung for like $350 new.  Go craigslist or ebay if you need cheaper.

IMO if price is a concern, just go 5.1.  Most audiophiles view 7.1+ as a big, large, hometheatre medium.


--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Looking for 7.1 Channel speaker systems, not as easy to find as you may think. [Re: badchad]
    #13094403 -

badchad said:
Many people would disagree, but in my experience, a very large room is the most beneficial for 7.1.  If you have a bedroom, or dorm room, its just too small to appreciate the separation that comes from 7.1.  I'd suggest 20 ft. X 20 ft. but that is just from my experience, and it's rather difficult to find rooms that size.

Other than that the process is relatively straightforward:

1.  Buy a 7.1 receiver with HDMI input.
2.  Hook up the speakers.

Even if you don't get media with discrete 7.1. encoding, the receiver will more than likely have some fancy mode where even stereo sound is matrixed into 7.1.  Since buying a replacement Yamaha, they are my brand of choice.

Bestbuy has a 7.2 samsung for like $350 new.  Go craigslist or ebay if you need cheaper.

IMO if price is a concern, just go 5.1.  Most audiophiles view 7.1+ as a big, large, hometheatre medium.



Thanks for the info :thumbup:

I may not stay in this room forever though, a concern i did have is whether it might be noticeable.

is 7.2 like two subwoofers? That sounds beneficial. I know sometimes that sounds better regardless, having two subwoofers.

I also have to consider that the technology will get better if I wait.


--------------------
  we could all use a little more sunshine.

:shrug: yeah, she's funny and somewhat interesting.  not a beauty queen, but not bad lookin.  i'd feel quite honored to fuck janine garofalo.
-tiny_rabid_birds

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Looking for 7.1 Channel speaker systems, not as easy to find as you may think. [Re: Cannabischarlie]
    #13094425 -

I'm more of a hi-fi buff than home theater so my option may be a bight bias but in my experience there is no reason to go beyond 5.1, even for games.  The only people that will notice a true difference with such separation are hi-end audiophiles that nit-pick over every harmonic like myself. 

Regardless whether you choose 5 or 7 I would recommend a .2 system (yes 2 subwoofers).  I built up a home theater system for a friend of mine who has limited knowledge in audio equipment and used a Sony 5.2 channel receiver and would never use anything different in the future.  Having a sub on either side in the front makes a big difference, especially for movies :thumbup:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Looking for 7.1 Channel speaker systems, not as easy to find as you may think. [Re: Gr33nTree73]
    #13094457 -

Onkyo


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Looking for 7.1 Channel speaker systems, not as easy to find as you may think. [Re: HUBSonDUBS]
    #13094613 -

Stick with 5.1.  There's such limited content available in 7.1 right now that it's almost pointless.  I'd say get a 7.1 or 7.2 receiver and run it as a 5.1.  You can always add the additional speakers later.  It also lets you set up a 5.1 and see if you think you'd really want or need the additional rear surround speakers.

<-- Been selling home theater gear for several years.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Looking for 7.1 Channel speaker systems, not as easy to find as you may think. [Re: abltsandwich]
    #13104952 -

abltsandwich said:
Stick with 5.1.  There's such limited content available in 7.1 right now that it's almost pointless.  I'd say get a 7.1 or 7.2 receiver and run it as a 5.1.  You can always add the additional speakers later.  It also lets you set up a 5.1 and see if you think you'd really want or need the additional rear surround speakers.

<-- Been selling home theater gear for several years.



to you and the other guy who mentioned the two subwoofers, i agree, I would always want to have two subwoofers, that was another consideration i had.

does the .2 actually give you anything more than just adding two subwoofers? the output is 7.1, so will that work just the same if the receiver is 7.2?

Either way I understand 2 subwoofers is better.

Perhaps a good 7.2 either way, would work and I could just get the other two speakers later, but I also thought I would test to see if I really notice anything different. I see now that the subwoofer factor is important, even if i dont use both now.


--------------------
  we could all use a little more sunshine.

:shrug: yeah, she's funny and somewhat interesting.  not a beauty queen, but not bad lookin.  i'd feel quite honored to fuck janine garofalo.
-tiny_rabid_birds

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

North Spore Shop: Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* What kind of Portable speaker(s) should i get for my Ipod? MycoJunkie 1,816 10 04/03/05 10:38 PM
by Redstorm
* Are these good subwoofers?
( 1 2 all )
ShroomyMcPot 2,632 23 07/19/04 09:07 PM
by DieCommie
* There are 4 posts on the back of my subwoofer, what do i do? ShroomyMcPot 1,954 18 07/30/04 06:00 PM
by ShroomyMcPot
* My shit finally thumps!! (updated w/ pics)
( 1 2 3 4 all )
NewbieS 6,935 68 04/27/07 07:39 AM
by Yrtlzmo
* Samsung is garbage markofthebeast 459 0 12/10/09 07:28 PM
by markofthebeast
* SUBWOOFERS
( 1 2 all )
stxlacrosse022 2,473 37 10/28/07 10:09 PM
by mndfreeze
* FUCK SAMSUNG! Gr33nTree73 375 0 09/30/08 05:20 PM
by Gr33nTree73
* Subwoofer Toggle Switch... FreshCaps 858 4 12/28/04 02:22 PM
by TYL3R

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
513 topic views. 3 members, 498 guests and 152 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.031 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.