Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Best, cheapest practice medium for acrylics?
    #13021609 -

I've been wanting to get into acrylic painting as a hobby and am looking for the best available material to practice painting on.  What are my options?  Obviously I don't want to buy a new expensive canvas every time I want to practice my techniques.  Any advice is appreciated.


--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Best, cheapest practice medium for acrylics? [Re: SuperD]
    #13025968 -

cardboard.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Best, cheapest practice medium for acrylics? [Re: auxiliary]
    #13028376 -

Craft stores (or Walmart) sell sketchbooks with acrylic appropriate paper. They're pretty cheap, too. Like less than $5, and have atleast 20 sheets in each.


--------------------
full blown human

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Best, cheapest practice medium for acrylics? [Re: SuperD]
    #13028995 -

The medium is the acrylics, I think you mean the ground, which is what you paint on.

In all honesty oils blend WAY better and tend to produce nicer hues IME.

If you use acrylics, add some gloss and retardant to it so that it has a nice shine and dries slower.

Cardboard is a fun ground, also wood panels work very well, and are more durable.


--------------------



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Best, cheapest practice medium for acrylics? [Re: Cactusdan]
    #13029146 -

Ground is the word I was looking for, thanks.  Didn't know what to call it.  Anyway, oils are much messier and harder to work with aren't they?  I can't just blend colors so quickly with oils before I rinse the brushes, or am I mistaken?


--------------------
:super:D
Manoa said:
I need to stop spending all my money on plants and take up a cheaper hobby, like heroin. :lol:

Looking for Rauhocereus riosaniensis seeds or live specimen(s), :pm: me if you have any for trade

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Best, cheapest practice medium for acrylics? [Re: SuperD]
    #13029185 -

Oils are indeed messier, but I wouldn't say harder to work with.

They're a lot smoother.

Not sure I get your last question.

IME oils blend together much easier and tend to producer nicer hues when mixed, I find acrylics to get muddy-looking easier.

They do, however, require paint thinner or something similar to clean the brushes.

I like the bars of artist soap personally.


--------------------



Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Does anyone here use PASTELS as a medium for their art....? PhanTomCat 2,164 13 03/14/07 05:48 PM
by PhanTomCat
* oil paint mraejay 3,153 19 02/13/14 09:49 AM
by Celestica
* Musicians....does practice make perfect ? scotsman1 1,229 11 08/17/06 11:27 PM
by scotsman1
* Easy songs, to practice singing and playing Psilocybeingzz 3,706 9 02/16/06 12:32 PM
by PinballWizard
* looking for a practice amp for under 200$ SKINNYDOGGY 618 3 07/13/05 03:34 PM
by Middleman
* The progress of practice! Spooge 576 3 03/14/07 04:37 PM
by Spooge
* Yearning Void- abstract acrylic painting KeepAskingTime 1,046 3 12/12/01 07:00 PM
by Ulysees
* Sick jam that falls apart, from an old band practice recording BoneMan 455 1 05/22/07 08:50 PM
by PhanTomCat

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, automan, DividedQuantum
465 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 5 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.025 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 16 queries.