Home | Community | Message Board

ElevationChemicals.com - Reagent Test Kits
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Scales

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Loc: My Youniverse....
Does anyone here use PASTELS as a medium for their art....?
    #6646304 - 03/07/07 08:35 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

After seeing Dennis Konstantin's art;

I am getting really interested and motivated to try something in this medium.....
I would appreciate any guidance as to what some of the tools I would need, a prefered brand of pastels, what is best to paint/draw on (paper, canvas?), etc. etc....

>^;;^<

--------------------
I'll be your midnight French Fry....  :naughty:

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinexurzax
Transcendingtime & space

Loc: canada, eh.
Re: Does anyone here use PASTELS as a medium for their art....? [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #6646337 - 03/07/07 08:45 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Those are pretty cool looking, I never knew that you could get such fine detail with pastels.

InvisibleIndividual
Bass Addict
Male User Gallery

Loc: Reality Loophole
Re: Does anyone here use PASTELS as a medium for their art....? [Re: xurzax]
    #6646350 - 03/07/07 08:48 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

wow! is all I can say

--------------------
THE PHILOSOPHY OF LIBERTY <---                                               

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Re: Does anyone here use PASTELS as a medium for their art....? [Re: xurzax]
    #6646353 - 03/07/07 08:48 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Actually, Dennis uses a mixture of Pencil, Pens/Ink, and Pastels for those pictures (if I am not mistaken)....

www.denniskonstantin.com

>^;;^<

--------------------

"The most important things in life that are often ignored, are the things that one cannot see...."

>^;;^<

Invisibleeligal
Noobie

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California
Re: Does anyone here use PASTELS as a medium for their art....? [Re: PhanTomCat]
    #6647533 - 03/08/07 02:50 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I use pastels once in a blue moon. I have oil pastels and soft pastels from Loew and Cornell. So far I ise the oil pastels alot more just because they are wrapped in a paper sleave so I dont have to wash my hands as much.... :rolleyes:

I am very beginner at this though so dont you dare as me for any sort of tips or suggestions...

--------------------
\m/ Spanksta \m/

"do you have the freedom to do with your nervous system what you want?"

"MolokoMilkPlus said:
I'll respect you if you let me give you a blow job"

"tactik said:
respect the can."

OfflineBrewmaster
Mescalero
Male User Gallery

Loc: Richmond Flag
Re: Does anyone here use PASTELS as a medium for their art....? [Re: eligal]
    #6648230 - 03/08/07 11:28 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I use pastels. I'm pretty sure you've seen my pics....

--------------------
On storing pedro tea...

Brewmaster: Well, the mescaline will still be in there, but I'd be afraid of it conjealing and trying to escape after it grew in size from eating all the other shit in my fridge, and possibly my dogs if it got out.

Pithlit: sentient drugs, now that is an idea ...

OneMoreRobot: Idea? It's a fuckin' reality. You know Salvia? Nigga stole my TV.

OfflineGreenAssHands
Study Science
 User Gallery

Re: Does anyone here use PASTELS as a medium for their art....? [Re: Brewmaster]
    #6649123 - 03/08/07 03:20 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Pastels are my favorite medium, I highly suggest you give it a try! :- )

Invisiblelukeboots
fresh futuristic
Male User Gallery
Loc: Grand Ole Operating Syste...
Re: Does anyone here use PASTELS as a medium for their art....? [Re: GreenAssHands]
    #6649252 - 03/08/07 04:00 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Yeah, I use them a lot too.. mostly for the fact that smudging it around all over the page is great fun.

--------------------

funky ass music: Planet of Dinosaurs // Rich Whiskey

Offlinekrixx
Stranger
Male

Loc: UK- London / Born
Re: Does anyone here use PASTELS as a medium for their art....? [Re: lukeboots]
    #6649337 - 03/08/07 04:31 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Kewl ... i love that

Check out H.LEUNG

Not as trippy ... But Calm .... Landscape

Knife I think

Edited by krixx (03/08/07 04:47 PM)

OfflineBrewmaster
Mescalero
Male User Gallery

Re: Does anyone here use PASTELS as a medium for their art....? [Re: krixx]
    #6649520 - 03/08/07 05:32 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

--------------------
On storing pedro tea...

Brewmaster: Well, the mescaline will still be in there, but I'd be afraid of it conjealing and trying to escape after it grew in size from eating all the other shit in my fridge, and possibly my dogs if it got out.

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

Re: Does anyone here use PASTELS as a medium for their art....? [Re: Brewmaster]
    #6649650 - 03/08/07 06:09 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Any tips from anyone.....?

I have never done this, nor do I know anyone that does it....
I definitely like LOTS OF BOLD COLORS, as you can see in my 3D fractal art shtuff~ here in my Shroomery gallery....
http://www.shroomery.org/forums/usergallery.php?gallery=131253

Yeah Brewmaster, I remember your art very well....!    It's good stuff....!  :smile:
I also didn't know it was pastels, I just assumed it was oil paints or sumthin....

Do you just sit down and go with no plan and see what happens, or do you map something out, then detail it as you finalize, or what....?
(I am an engineer, so that is how I would start a typical design....)
I will be going for abstract, it is really all I know....
I have used colored pencils, but it was a long time ago....
It is so freakin tedious filling a page with colors with pencils - just takes too long....

OK, so I came home today with a few supplies;
A set of 24 color soft Pastels,
a set of 12 shades of gray soft pastels,
a few of those paper cone blending things,
a few canvas boards,
and a big drawing/sketch book....
Do I need anything else, or will I want anything else....?
I am assuming I didn't get the correct kind of paper, but I am sure I won't start off making a masterpiece....  :smirk:  :lol:

What are the "steps" to making a drawing....?
Make a rough light outline and just start darkening it in....?
Do the darks first and the lights last....?
Do the objects first, then the background, or visa-versa....?

I will start on my own if I don't get any help, but would prefer to get some tips so I don't screw up something cool....
Ya~ know....!?   
:thumbup: :shiftyeyes:  :thumbdown:

>^;;^<

--------------------

>^;;^<

Invisiblechunder
marker

Loc: The City
    #6651716 - 03/09/07 04:23 AM (14 years, 2 months ago)

I think your best bet is to just buy a few different types of paper, look for paper of different textures. Eventually you'll come across a paper you like, and that can make all the difference in how your drawing turns out. The texture is really important, as it determines how much of the pastel the paper bites off.

With pastels you can't erase very easily, so you should work light to dark, as you can always add dark, but you can't erase dark and add light. For that reason, its a good idea to work background to foreground, stacking the layers of pastel as you go. It is a medium that 'builds up'.

Really though its all about your own experiments and pursuing the methods that are interesting to you. Just put the pastel to the page and let fly. Happy mark making...

--------------------

OfflineBrewmaster
Mescalero
Male User Gallery

#6652409 - 03/09/07 12:26 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Those three up there are oil pastel on paper.I Use fairly smooth but sturdy, cold-press paper, usually 18"x24pieces taped together in the back with archival, museum grade tape. The pastels are generally called paint sticks, they're about 20x the size of regular pastels. The black and whites I buy are about 50x the size and as big around as my fist.I have to work large, I paint murals on the side and now it's impossible for me to work on a small scale. Drawing, for me didn't become really exciting until I made it a whole body workout; I no longer draw with my hands and wrists but with my whole arm and shoulders.

Don't get in the habit of sitting down to draw!!!  use a wall in a room with good natural light and get some of that cheap brown paper or just use grocery bags to frame the piece your working on. Cover the wall underneath, too. This'll keep you from drawing on yer walls. You don't want to be limited by the plane of the paper, always think about what is going on outside the picture plane. A lot of my work starts as an 18" x 24 drawing that I like so much that I just add another 18x24anel to 3 of the sides and expand upon it.

Being an engineer, you're probably used to sitting down to draw, but this is the worst habit to get ito, you want to be able to take a few steps back every few minutes to view the whole piece from a distance. It also allows you to draw with your whole body which is just more fun and not as condusive to carpul tunnel syndrome:)

As far as tips to get you started: No, there's no erasing pastels. Erasing is for chumps. You keep layering and reworking until you get something that works, and in the end if it doesn't work, you should have one of those palette knives (the thing Bob Ross uses to make rocks and mountains) and you can just scrape all the layers off down to the paper.

work background to foreground

work light to dark! This is very important because it's counter-intuitive and will make you a better artist. It's very common for people to start with dark lines and just outline evrything; this can make for "cartoony" looking drawings. This was a hard habit for me to get out of because I was so into graffiti and it drove my professors crazy. I refused to change for years until I had one wild professor named Javier that would litterally tear my shit up or paint over top of something I was working on if I didn't follow his advice. In an advanced drawing class of 12 people, 9 dropped the course within 2 weeks. I hated the guy for quite a while but he eventually made me a much better artist.

Don't even use lines. You can lightly sketch something out if that's yer cup o tea but once you start drawing, don't think about lines. Think about shading light to dark, blocks of color and rendering. A good practice is to use your gray tones on black paper to get used to working light to dark.

Other things you may need/ want: I don't know if your  working with oil pastels or the chalky ones. If it's the dry, chalky ones then you're set but if it's oils, you may want a pallette knife and some lynseed oil. A few drops of lynseed makes colors blend easier and you can stretch/ thin them out to be more "wash-like". I don't know how big yer sketchbook is but you should get one that's at least 18x 24. Use a regular sized one for sketching out ideas but not for finished drawings. You can also get rubber blenders that look like a paintbrush with a black eraser at the tip; they come in all different shapes and are much better than those paper smudges.

uuuuuhhhhhh....that's all the advice I can dish out in a day. I'm tapped.....of course this is all just MY advice, everyone works differently, just trying to get you started in some good habits:stoned:

Get to work and post some pics, I'm excited for you. Art is teh kewl; especially abstwact.

--------------------
On storing pedro tea...

OfflinePhanTomCat
Teh Cat....
Male User Gallery

#6669766 - 03/14/07 07:48 PM (14 years, 2 months ago)

Thanx~ Chunder and BrewMaster....!    :smile:

It has been a while since I have had a chance to get on here and see if I got any replies, not much time for internet nor Pastels lately....

I did mess around a little, and a few things I learned by time I got done....
1) This shit is fuckin messy....!    :lol:
2) It is easy to blend the colors into a yucky mud color....
3) It is difficult to keep a sharp edge on these things while using them....
4) Don't blow when you see a few specs of color sitting in the wrong place....!
(I hope my landlord doesn't mind the three little blue spots on her carpet....!)  :blush:

The habbit for sitting down and drawing is already 100% - I have been an Engineer for 16 years....  :tongue:
Another habbit I have is spinning the "chuck" style pencil while working, so as to keep the tip sharp and consistant while drawing....
I will not be able to do that with these square shaped soft pastels tho, so I will have to hook up an easel or table to break the other habit....
I would be leary to do anything on the walls, the walls are white and carpet here is off white....

I also was guilty of starting with darks first - which quickly turned into that mud color....
***repeats***  Light to dark, light to dark, light to dark.....  :smile:
And I got the chalky pastels, not the oils....  And the size of the sketch book and the canvas boards were 24"x18"....  :thumbup:

Plenty of advise BrewMaster, and THANK YOU.....!    :smile:

Hopefully if all works out, I will have time this weekend to put some of that advise to work.... 
:woot:  :woot:

>^;;^<

--------------------

>^;;^<

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon Scales

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media