Home | Community | Message Board

Magic Mushrooms Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Seattle '90s Grunge Appreciation Thread
    #13017241 -

Without the scene developing in Seattle in the 1990s, a lot of positive development in rock music would not have happened. Plus, there was just some HOT music that came out in those days from that area of the world! Seriously, Mother Love Bone essentially became Pearl Jam after Andrew Wood died. Then, there's Soundgarden, Alice In Chains, The Meat Puppets, Nirvana, The Screaming Trees, all of the bands that Sub Pop pumped out i.e. The Melvins, U-Men, 10 Minute Warning, The Accused etc.

The Seattle scene influenced such greats as Sonic Youth and Dinosaur Jr to play the music that they did. That music had a huge influence on my childhood and throughout my adolescence. Without it who knows what I would be listening to now. It opened up an area that further diversified my musical tastes and, by extension, my worldly tastes. For this, I am grateful.

Thank you, Seattle!:heart:

Pearl Jam-Black


Soundgarden-Jesus Christ Pose


Alice In Chains-Rooster


Mother Love Bone-Chloe Dancer/Crown of Thorns


Nirvana-Love Buzz



Meat Puppets-Plateau


The Screaming Trees-Shadow of the Season



And by extension....

Dinosaur Jr-What Else Is New


Sonic Youth-100%


:heart:


Thank you for the positive impact that you had on my life.


--------------------



:murray:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Seattle '90s Grunge Appreciation Thread [Re: blissedout]
    #13017558 -

i like nirvana cuz they'd pay that guy with the mohawk to come to their shows and dance on stage, effn weird

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Seattle '90s Grunge Appreciation Thread [Re: Konyap]
    #13017591 -

Good thread, I still listen to every single band listed here.

I was just having a conversation the other day about how the Melvins wouldn't even be around without the release of Nevermind. haha kind of ironic seeing as how Buzz really didn't like Kurt.


--------------------
So good to see you, I've missed you so much.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Seattle '90s Grunge Appreciation Thread [Re: blissedout]
    #13017686 -

Seattle and the rest of the PNW is very happy to have helped expand your musical tastes. Have you heard any recent music from this region?


--------------------
WAFFLEZZ!!!11!!!1!!!1!!!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Seattle '90s Grunge Appreciation Thread [Re: Sunny]
    #13017702 -

I thought we quit making music after the .com bubble :confused:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Seattle '90s Grunge Appreciation Thread [Re: ClammyJoe]
    #13017891 -

We have a pretty freaking AWESOME scene across the PNW. Particularly Seattle, Olympia, and Portland.


--------------------
WAFFLEZZ!!!11!!!1!!!1!!!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Seattle '90s Grunge Appreciation Thread [Re: Sunny]
    #13018553 -

Nirvana was the first band I remember actually liking.  They had such an awesome sound.  I loved the distortion they used.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Seattle '90s Grunge Appreciation Thread [Re: Sunny]
    #13019554 -

Sunny said:
Seattle and the rest of the PNW is very happy to have helped expand your musical tastes. Have you heard any recent music from this region?



I have heard some different new artists from the PNW area that are incredible! i.e. Emancipator, Marv Ellis, Alpaca!

Turn me onto some more, if you please. I love new, good music!

Emancipator-Lionheart


Marv Ellis-Broke People


Alpaca!
http://www.archive.org/details/alpaca2009-08-19.flac16


--------------------



:murray:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Seattle '90s Grunge Appreciation Thread [Re: blissedout]
    #13019666 -

Well I've got a few off the top of my head:

Blue Scholars

Band Of Horses

Fleet Foxes

The Decemberists

The Postal Service


--------------------
WAFFLEZZ!!!11!!!1!!!1!!!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Seattle '90s Grunge Appreciation Thread [Re: Sunny]
    #13019828 -

Oh yeah, I love Band of Horses and the Decemberists. I didn't know they were from that area. I'll check the others out. Thanks!


--------------------



:murray:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Seattle '90s Grunge Appreciation Thread [Re: blissedout]
    #13021131 -

Don't forget about Tad, Green River, Mud Honey, the Melvins, gruntruck, lovebattery.. the list goes on

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Seattle '90s Grunge Appreciation Thread [Re: MadSeasonAbove]
    #13021475 -

I said the Melvins d00d. I did forget to mention Mudhoney, though. I love that band!


--------------------



:murray:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Seattle '90s Grunge Appreciation Thread [Re: blissedout]
    #13021641 -

Doh! :tongue:

:bigblunt:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Seattle '90s Grunge Appreciation Thread [Re: blissedout]
    #13021756 -

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116589/
Documentary about the Seattle music scene in the nineties.


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Seattle '90s Grunge Appreciation Thread [Re: jewunit]
    #13021863 -



--------------------



:murray:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Seattle '90s Grunge Appreciation Thread [Re: Sunny]
    #13024582 -

Blitzen Trapper is from the area


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Seattle '90s Grunge Appreciation Thread [Re: CokedUpHobit64]
    #13031505 -

CokedUpHobit64 said:
Good thread, I still listen to every single band listed here.

I was just having a conversation the other day about how the Melvins wouldn't even be around without the release of Nevermind. haha kind of ironic seeing as how Buzz really didn't like Kurt.



An interesting thought, considering that Nevermind may never have even been recorded if not for the Melvins.
A band's influence upon an unknown band can lead to drastically increased notoriety if the previously unknown band becomes bigger than Jesus....an odd way to sell tickets and move records. [note:] Not an insinuation that the Melvins rode or cultivated the fervor surrounding Nirvana.


--------------------
the pain of war can not exceed the woe of aftermath

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Seattle '90s Grunge Appreciation Thread [Re: blissedout]
    #13040081 -

And going even further back let's not forget Tacoma's own, Jimi Hendrix.
Even if he did hit it big only after moving to the UK. Long live the legend. Babes are still throwing pussy at him nearly 30 years after his death.



As a child of the 90's growing up in Seattle I have a particular nostalgia to 90's grunge.
I was too young then to really fully participate in the grunge "scene" but my first albums were Sound Garden - Super Unknown and Nirvana - Unplugged.
Some fun facts.. Sound Garden is a real place in Magnusun Park in Seattle. It's an art project of sorts, tall metallic structures designed to capture wind and generate whistle-like tones.
Sadly that part of the park has been closed off to the public for a number of years now.
But wait!! I recently caught wind of some news that the NOAA offices which own that part of the park are relocating to California in the near future.
So maybe the city will reopen the Sound Garden to the public again?
And seeing as Sound Garden (the band) is doing reunion shows now, maybe they can be convinced to play a free show down at Magnusun Park for old time's sake?
I can dream, can't I? :tongue:


--------------------
:thumbup: :thumbdown:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Seattle '90s Grunge Appreciation Thread [Re: Great Scott]
    #13040406 -

Damn NOAA :mad2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Melvins = the finest band, or one of crazyman 732 8 01/18/05 08:37 PM
by crazyman
* Heavy/Black/Grunge Metal Idiot 1,026 14 06/05/06 12:34 AM
by Cepheus
* death metal / grunge mix? vampirism 974 6 01/25/04 12:20 PM
by fireworks_god
* mr mojo risin was the original grunge poet gatoracle 650 2 08/02/05 04:15 AM
by woleb
* October 29th sunsets in Seattle mjshroomer 1,473 14 10/31/02 10:41 PM
by mjshroomer
* ALex Gray Art Show Tomorrow in Seattle mjshroomer 1,302 8 05/02/03 11:37 AM
by Shroomism
* Primus "Hallucino Genetics Tour" Seattle, WA sumthinesoteric 1,061 6 06/09/04 11:34 AM
by ShattrdHarlequin
* The Official Pink Floyd fanatic thread
( 1 2 3 all )
acoostick 5,832 42 02/12/05 05:39 PM
by acoostick

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, automan, DividedQuantum
1,238 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 6 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.036 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 14 queries.