Home | Community | Message Board

Kratom Eye
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]
Throughts on working for the tobacco industry
    #12936836 -

I just had a phone interview with one of the major tobacco companies for a sales position within a territory you are assigned.  From what I saw other employees say on job forums, the company is great to work for, has good pay, lots of benefits and a good bit of vacation time paid for.

But damn when I talk to some friends about it they talk to me like I'm contemplating child molestation.  One lady went so far as to say "So you want to spread emphysema for work."

People know smoking isn't healthy, but some do it anyway.  Is little Johnny going to be a pack a day smoker because of a cardboard sign I would drop off at a retailer?  Its a job to me, and as long as there are smokers it will be around.

I didn't want to TL;DR on this one, so does any one have other thoughts on this?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Throughts on working for the tobacco industry [Re: MrEd]
    #12936856 -

Don't see why this should be a problem.


--------------------
/ / / / / / / LISTEN TO MY MUSIC: E X E D / / / / / / /
The universe gives no fucks. And takes no fucks.
May His Circuits Ever Function

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Throughts on working for the tobacco industry [Re: The_Ghost]
    #12936864 -

The_Ghost said:
Don't see why this should be a problem.



Exactly, I just don't get why something that simple isn't grasped by a lot of folks.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Throughts on working for the tobacco industry [Re: MrEd]
    #12937073 -

money is money. i smoke. it was my decision to start. I am addicted. my fault, not some cigarette rep.


--------------------
[quote]Little angel, go away...
Come again some other day...
Devil has my ear today...
I'll never hear a word you say...
He Promised I would find a little solace and some peace of mind...
Whatever. just as long as I don't feel so desperate and ravenous.
I'm so Weak and powerless over you...
[/quote] -MJK

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Throughts on working for the tobacco industry [Re: justablip]
    #12937084 -

yeah working for tobacco is pretty bad.

whatever if you live in any decent country just living your daily life you're living with horrific lack of care anyways.


--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Throughts on working for the tobacco industry [Re: MrEd]
    #12937096 -



--------------------
    classic LOVELINE

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Throughts on working for the tobacco industry [Re: MrEd]
    #12937120 -

No one is forcing people to smoke.

I say take the job.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Throughts on working for the tobacco industry [Re: justablip]
    #12937127 -

justablip said:
money is money. i smoke. it was my decision to start. I am addicted. my fault, not some cigarette rep.




This, these companys aren't forcing anyone to smoke, people need to take responsibility for their own actions.


--------------------
:eatingout:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Throughts on working for the tobacco industry [Re: NortonStPhallus]
    #12937198 -

What exactly does the job entail?  My thoughts are if it isn't you employed there it'd be someone else.  :shrug:  But if the job is trying to get people
to start smoking I'd definitely think twice about it.

The tobacco industry doesn't exactly have a good track record.  Even now they do some fucked up things.  But money is money I spose.


--------------------
"What was the first thing your husband said to you when he woke that morning?"
"He said, 'Where am I, Cathy?'"
"And why did that upset you?"
"My name is Susan."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Throughts on working for the tobacco industry [Re: NortonStPhallus]
    #12937209 -

i think that line of thinking is pretty flawed.  tobacco is way more addictive than anything else i've ever heard of.  The addiction rate from smoking 2 cigs is astronomical.

the fact is you have no clue how really powerful the addiction is until its too late.  There is nothing in life you can relate it to until you start smoking, and so the danger is pretty abstract.

There are anecdotes about people in concentration camps dying of starvation trading what little food they got for cigs.  I would believe it, its much easier for me to not eat than not smoke, and even after a week of not eating and not smoking, my cig cravings remain much stronger than my cravings for food.  I'd be willing to be if i really wanted to, i could starve myself to death alot easier than i can give up smoking.

I dunno about you guys, but generally speaking i don't deal so well with abstract concepts of danger.  I don't think thats something people are really fully designed for. we deal better with the physical immediate, and unfortunately you can smoke for a long fucking time before it really starts hurting you.

i mean really, the shit shouldn't be sold on every street corner.

and before its brought up about people who only smoke every now and then, or who quit easily blah blah blah. thats been discovered to be almost entirely genetic.  big congratulations to anyone who has good genes.

even for people who do quit, the average is smoking for like 20 years before quitting.


--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Throughts on working for the tobacco industry [Re: truekimbo2]
    #12937249 -

Yeah I agree, but I think most people are aware of how easily they can get addicted, most people I know anyway. When people I know start smoking, they are very aware of the fact that they will get addicted, its a concious decision to become addicted for them. I guess if you were mislead into smoking then you have someone else to blame, but if you did it while being fully aware of the negative effects/addictiveness then its still your fault IMO :shrug:.


--------------------
:eatingout:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Throughts on working for the tobacco industry [Re: cryptic_pickle]
    #12938089 -

cryptic_pickle said:
What exactly does the job entail?  My thoughts are if it isn't you employed there it'd be someone else.  :shrug:  But if the job is trying to get people
to start smoking I'd definitely think twice about it.

The tobacco industry doesn't exactly have a good track record.  Even now they do some fucked up things.  But money is money I spose.



In a nutshell I would have a territory which consists of around 120 retailers who carry the products.  I would be establishing rapport by working with each location on ordering, promotional signage, new products, and general suggestions on how to maximize their own profit.  This seems to be most of the job, but there are also some promotional events thrown in. 

The only difficulty with this industry IMO is the stigma that it carries to some people.  I'm hoping to learn a lot more on Tuesday when I meet with the fellow in my area who does the same job.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Throughts on working for the tobacco industry [Re: MrEd]
    #12939170 -

MrEd said:
The only difficulty with this industry IMO is the stigma that it carries to some people.  I'm hoping to learn a lot more on Tuesday when I meet with the fellow in my area who does the same job.



Stigma?  Tobacco companies not only denied that smoking was harmful to health for over a decade, but they still do fucked up shit...

Tobacco Giant Uses Child Labor for Cigarette Production
http://shatterlimits.com/tobacco-giant-uses-child-labor-for-cigarette-production/

Malawi tobacco child labourers being poisoned by their work
http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/278158


http://socyberty.com/issues/child-labour-in-the-tobacco-industry/

"Children as young as ten work all morning gathering in the harvest, take a school break in the afternoon, to come home and work again in the evening. The main harvest coincides with school holiday, meaning the children work all day without a break.

Everybody knows that tobacco contains nicotine and not too little. What most people don’t know or prefer others not to know is that nicotine can be absorbed into the body by the skin. And the skin’s permeability gets higher when sweating. Working in the hot and humid climate of Brazil is therefore the ideal setting to absorb large quantities of nicotine.

The rate of absorption of nicotine has been measured to equal 20 cigarettes during four hours harvesting.

The responsible management blames the families for employing their own children."

I'm not saying they're all run by cunts, but try to keep an open mind, they have a long track record of doing fucked up shit.  But do what you want its
up to you in the long run.  I'm just saying I'd definitely think twice before working for cunts, but if I was poor enough I would probably concede
if there were no other option, I'm assuming you have other options.


--------------------
"What was the first thing your husband said to you when he woke that morning?"
"He said, 'Where am I, Cathy?'"
"And why did that upset you?"
"My name is Susan."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Throughts on working for the tobacco industry [Re: cryptic_pickle]
    #12939177 -

well its not like they are forcing kids to do the work, they are doing the work because they chose to.  If big tobaccy wasn't there i bet those children would be starving, instead they get food and a free high


--------------------
We were sent to hell for eternity :hellfire: Ø:omgawesome:h®
We play on earth to pass the time :foreheadslap:

Over-population the root of all Evil-brings the Elites Closer to the gates.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Throughts on working for the tobacco industry [Re: makaveli8x8]
    #12939181 -

Fuck people who act in the guise of "protecting" others. It's just selfishness wrapped up with a bow.


--------------------
+1 Post ٩(̾๏̮̮̃̾๏̃̾)۶


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Throughts on working for the tobacco industry [Re: cryptic_pickle] * 1
    #12939193 -

Doesn't matter what job you have, you are always going to work for someone who works for someone who works for someone who works for someone who works for someone who works for someone who works for someone who pays someone to murder someone in cold blood. 

Even if you work for yourself you are still buying supplies from people who buy supplies from large corporations. Of course, everyone knows by now that large corperations are all evil. :yesnod:

In fact, most clothes on most backs in most homes in America were most likely made by the bleeding hands of a starving, 7 year old girl.

So we all are fed by,
work for,
buy from,
and live with the bad guys. 

Surviving is the key, my friend.

All adults are guilty, only children are innocent.

Take the job.  Don't sell cigarettes to babies. 

Capiche?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Throughts on working for the tobacco industry [Re: Passengerr]
    #12939234 -

Passengerr said:
Doesn't matter what job you have, you are always going to work for someone who works for someone who works for someone who works for someone who works for someone who works for someone who works for someone who pays someone to murder someone in cold blood. 




:lol: Fucking well said! :thumbup:


--------------------
/ / / / / / / LISTEN TO MY MUSIC: E X E D / / / / / / /
The universe gives no fucks. And takes no fucks.
May His Circuits Ever Function

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Throughts on working for the tobacco industry [Re: MrEd]
    #12939329 -

I would take that job in a heart beat man especially with our poor economy at the moment. Sounds like a good job to me...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Throughts on working for the tobacco industry [Re: MrEd]
    #12939386 -

MrEd said:
I just had a phone interview with one of the major tobacco companies for a sales position within a territory you are assigned.  From what I saw other employees say on job forums, the company is great to work for, has good pay, lots of benefits and a good bit of vacation time paid for.

But damn when I talk to some friends about it they talk to me like I'm contemplating child molestation.  One lady went so far as to say "So you want to spread emphysema for work."

People know smoking isn't healthy, but some do it anyway.  Is little Johnny going to be a pack a day smoker because of a cardboard sign I would drop off at a retailer?  Its a job to me, and as long as there are smokers it will be around.

I didn't want to TL;DR on this one, so does any one have other thoughts on this?



It's funny how these people are all against the stupidest stuff, but never bother to think about how their daily actions are negatively affecting other peoples' lives.
Get the job if it's what you want, it's not like you're forcing people to smoke and die.


--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Throughts on working for the tobacco industry [Re: NortonStPhallus]
    #12939390 -

NortonStPhallus said:
justablip said:
money is money. i smoke. it was my decision to start. I am addicted. my fault, not some cigarette rep.




This, these companys aren't forcing anyone to smoke, people need to take responsibility for their own actions.



Thank you. If people are weak enough to fall for some slick marketing, then whatever. Survival of the fittest.


--------------------



:murray:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 |  [ show all ]


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* will acetone and alcohol extract work? warner1991 1,136 15 03/03/18 05:13 PM
by chobumms
* Pipe Tobacco tips Faaip_De_Oiad 1,008 2 12/30/03 01:04 AM
by Anonymous
* Tobacco in Joints oneducktwoducks 5,996 17 11/18/03 03:19 PM
by jetnos
* 15!!!!!! Children Killed by US Gov. in horrible travesty Spiffy 2,307 6 12/07/03 11:16 PM
by Anonymous
* Childrens games that teach hate.
( 1 2 3 all )
Frog31337 4,545 47 10/09/20 05:24 PM
by Baby_Hitler
* Homegrown Tobacco rules Earth_Droid 1,062 8 11/18/03 07:06 PM
by Earth_Droid
* Protecting America?s Children DragonEyes 2,488 16 10/20/02 05:35 PM
by pezbomb
* just pics from work
( 1 2 3 all )
frogsheath 12,105 40 12/20/02 11:11 AM
by AJ420

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
2,934 topic views. 6 members, 11 guests and 115 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.039 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.