Home | Community | Message Board

Magic-Mushrooms-Shop.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
melatonin
    #12678205 -

I've been fooling around with melatonin lately. It's very interesting as a sleep-aid - it doesn't really make me drowsy or anything but it seems to make my sleep far more restful. For example, last night when I realized I'd only be getting 4-5 hours of sleep, I popped a melatonin before bed, and I actually woke up this morning feeling refreshed and ready to go.

I save the doxylamine (unisom) when I'm looking at a 7-8 hour period for sleep and I want to ensure an expedient knockout.

Anybody have any understanding of how this works?


--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: melatonin [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #12678211 -

Your brain produces wake up chemicals in the morn, and sleepytime chemicals at night. Melatonin is the sleepy night time chemical.

I take mine exactly 30 before bedtime.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: melatonin [Re: Razzl3Frazzl3]
    #12678385 -

Been taking it for awhile now.  Unisom (aka benadryl) doesn't do anything for me short of fucking me up.  Melatonin is the only sleep aid I've ever taken that has no ill side effects and works consistently (although xanax is a close second).  I've read that it's not good to use it every night for weeks on end, though, because your brain gets accustomed to the intake and quits producing its own.


--------------------
Did he dream about dragons? Did he dream about deer? Did he whisper  he names of friends who were near?
What songs did they play, and how far away? Why did he whisper, why did she scream?
What does the sound of a screen door mean?
Who talks on the hill? Who goes to the cellar, can you feel the chill? Where does the river, when will the wind?
How far are the mountains? Where do they end? Why would the church?
Did the service begin? Tell me who died, and tell me who cried.
Help me hide in the skin of a deer, my zippered-up bag in the mouth of a stag so swiftly I go through rows of does,
it flows, it flows, it flows, it flows all over the hill where the green grass grows.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: melatonin [Re: SS32]
    #12678513 -

So you may actually experience withdrawal symptoms if you do it very consistently.

I've read that melatonin protects against microcancerous formations by stimulating the innate immune system.

I suppose if used carefully it might be quite beneficial. For example I would use it during an exam session so that my memory is optimized for the better.

BTW melatonin is some sort of a tryptamine, right?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: melatonin [Re: mellowparty]
    #12678575 -

mellowparty said:
So you may actually experience withdrawal symptoms if you do it very consistently.

I suppose if used carefully it might be quite beneficial. For example I would use it during an exam session so that my memory is optimized for the better.




I've took it every night for 6 months now. I do less lighter if i miss my dose.

Mellow, its a sleep aid, i don't think it would help at exam time....

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: melatonin [Re: mellowparty]
    #12678580 -

i take melatonin regularly.

the only change i noticed (other than being able to sleep) is that now i have some crazy ass dreams.

i never drempt at all before i started taking it. now i dream all the time.. probably cause im actually getting to REM sleep now..


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: melatonin [Re: Razzl3Frazzl3]
    #12678590 -

Being well rested doesn't help your  brain function better that day? I beg to differ.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: melatonin [Re: mellowparty]
    #12678593 -

melatonin is produced narually in your skin. it is produced in response to uv rays from many sources. (you can get ''sunburnt'' from a welding torch or tanning bed.)

melatonin regulates the circadian rythm. thats why youll feel the winter blues. then when the summer comes around youll feel great.


tanning is used by many, especially in the winter, to combat symptoms of depression.

insomniacs benefit from the same treatment moreso than you will from pills.

Edited by drewb149 (06/03/10 01:06 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: melatonin [Re: mellowparty]
    #12678594 -

Yeah, acetyl-methoxytryptamine I believe. I took it a lot when I was 15-16 and it never seemed to benefit me in any way. It never helped me fall asleep or had me feeling refreshed when I woke up. The only thing I can think of is that it kept me from waking up numerous times in the night.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: melatonin [Re: frith]
    #12678605 -

I have  very irregular work and sleep schedule. I've found melatonin to be very helpful is giving me a restful sleep. It deos not knock me the fuck out the way "sleeping pills" do and after waking up from a short melatonin-aided sleep, I don't feel narc'd out or groggy & dumb.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: melatonin [Re: Gr8fulJ420]
    #12678732 -

Exactly - if I take unisom when I'm only going to be getting five or six hours of sleep I feel FUCKED up in the morning. Melatonin seems to help you stay asleep through the night but once you wake up there's no residual drowsiness at all.

I don't take sleep aids every night, but they really can be lifesavers under certain circumstances.

How would tanning benefit as a sleep aid? Doesn't light on the skin reduce melatonin production?


--------------------
Enlil said:
You really are the worst kind of person.


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: melatonin [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #12678886 -

Tchan909 said:
How would tanning benefit as a sleep aid? Doesn't light on the skin reduce melatonin production?



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Light_therapy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin

youre right that melatonin is inhibited by light but melonin the pigment produced when you tan is kinda like the opposite or the antogonist. balancing the two out is what is key to regulating your sleep cycle.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: melatonin [Re: Razzl3Frazzl3]
    #12684330 -

SquaReSaltine said:
mellowparty said:
So you may actually experience withdrawal symptoms if you do it very consistently.

I suppose if used carefully it might be quite beneficial. For example I would use it during an exam session so that my memory is optimized for the better.




I've took it every night for 6 months now. I do less lighter if i miss my dose.

Mellow, its a sleep aid, i don't think it would help at exam time....



I've noticed that my memory works a lot better when my sleeping is regular and consistent. From what I've read it has something do to with circadian regulated levels of cyclic AMP in the hippocampus. Basically if you don't sleep the levels of this molecule drop significantly and thus sleep deprivation results in impaired memory (weed lowers cAMP levels but through a different mechanism - hence you can't remember shit while baked).

So my idea was that if you use melatonin to optimize your sleeping pattern then you could probably benefit in regard to memory formation and recall :yesnod:


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: melatonin [Re: mellowparty]
    #12684546 -

mellowparty said:
SquaReSaltine said:
mellowparty said:
So you may actually experience withdrawal symptoms if you do it very consistently.

I suppose if used carefully it might be quite beneficial. For example I would use it during an exam session so that my memory is optimized for the better.




I've took it every night for 6 months now. I do less lighter if i miss my dose.

Mellow, its a sleep aid, i don't think it would help at exam time....



I've noticed that my memory works a lot better when my sleeping is regular and consistent. From what I've read it has something do to with circadian regulated levels of cyclic AMP in the hippocampus. Basically if you don't sleep the levels of this molecule drop significantly and thus sleep deprivation results in impaired memory (weed lowers cAMP levels but through a different mechanism - hence you can't remember shit while baked).

So my idea was that if you use melatonin to optimize your sleeping pattern then you could probably benefit in regard to memory formation and recall :yesnod:



Now that makes more sense!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: melatonin [Re: Razzl3Frazzl3]
    #12690018 -

Melatonin is really a fascinating substance. It is found in virtually every living thing, in fact the melatonin in pills is extracted from plants. It pretty much controls everything. From women's menstrual cycles to birds migrating to sunflower plants following the sun across the sky,and most importantly for us the circadian rhythm. The fact that most melatonin in the human body is produced by the pineal gland, and that the third eye is the second from top of the chakra's in Hinuism/Buddhism is no coincidence. Medically I think that the pineal gland may hold the key to solving many disorders. Including cancer. It and melatonin need to be studied more. It produces DMT naturally in the body for fucks sake.

Quote:
Melatonin produced in the pineal gland, which is outside of the blood-brain barrier, acts as an endocrine hormone since it is released into the blood. By contrast, melatonin produced by the retina and the gastrointestinal (GI) tract acts as a paracrine hormone.

In humans, 90% of melatonin is cleared in a single passage through the liver, and a small amount is excreted in urine.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin

Quote:
The pineal gland (also called the pineal body, epiphysis cerebri, epiphysis or the "third eye") is a small endocrine gland in the vertebrate  brain. It produces the serotonin derivative melatonin, a hormone  that affects the modulation of wake/sleep patterns and seasonal functions. It is shaped like a tiny pine cone (hence its name), and is located near the center of the brain, between the two hemispheres, tucked in a groove where the two rounded thalamic bodies join.

Melatonin is a derivative of the amino acid tryptophan, which also has other functions in the central nervous system. The production of melatonin by the pineal gland is stimulated by darkness and inhibited by light. Photosensitive cells in the retina detect light and directly signal the suprachiasmatic nucleus (SCN), entraining its rhythm to the 24-hour cycle in nature. Fibers project from the SCN to the paraventricular nuclei (PVN), which relay the circadian signals to the spinal cord and out via the sympathetic system to superior cervical ganglia (SCG), and from there into the pineal gland. The function(s) of melatonin in humans is not clear; it is commonly prescribed for the treatment of circadian rhythm sleep disorders.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pineal_gland

See where it says Third Eye?

Quote:
The third eye (also known as the inner eye) is a mystical  and esoteric concept referring in part to the ajna (brow) chakra in certain Eastern and Western spiritual traditions. It is also spoken of as the gate that leads within to inner realms and spaces of higher consciousness. In New Age spirituality, the third eye may alternately symbolize a state of enlightenment or the evocation of mental images having deeply personal spiritual  or psychological  significance. The third eye is often associated with visions, clairvoyance  (which includes the ability to observe chakras and auras),  precognition, and out-of-body experiences, and people who have allegedly developed the capacity to utilize their third eyes are sometimes known as seers.

The pineal gland

Some writers and researchers, including H. P. Blavatsky[5] and Rick Strassman, have suggested that the third eye is in fact the partially dormant pineal gland, which resides between the two hemispheres of the brain. The pineal gland is said to secrete dimethyltryptamine (DMT)  which induces dreams, near-death experiences, meditation, or hallucinations. Various types of lower vertebrates, such as reptiles and amphibians, can actually sense light via a third parietal eye—a structure associated with the pineal gland—which serves to regulate their circadian rhythms, and for navigation, as it can sense the polarization of light.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_eye


--------------------
"Feed my will to feel this moment...."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: melatonin [Re: cubicle]
    #12690040 -

cubicle said:
Melatonin is really a fascinating substance. It is found in virtually every living thing, in fact the melatonin in pills is extracted from plants. It pretty much controls everything. From women's menstrual cycles to birds migrating to sunflower plants following the sun across the sky,and most importantly for us the circadian rhythm. The fact that most melatonin in the human body is produced by the pineal gland, and that the third eye is the second from top of the chakra's in Hinuism/Buddhism is no coincidence. Medically I think that the pineal gland may hold the key to solving many disorders. Including cancer. It and melatonin need to be studied more. It produces DMT naturally in the body for fucks sake.

Quote:
Melatonin produced in the pineal gland, which is outside of the blood-brain barrier, acts as an endocrine hormone since it is released into the blood. By contrast, melatonin produced by the retina and the gastrointestinal (GI) tract acts as a paracrine hormone.

In humans, 90% of melatonin is cleared in a single passage through the liver, and a small amount is excreted in urine.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin

Quote:
The pineal gland (also called the pineal body, epiphysis cerebri, epiphysis or the "third eye") is a small endocrine gland in the vertebrate  brain. It produces the serotonin derivative melatonin, a hormone  that affects the modulation of wake/sleep patterns and seasonal functions. It is shaped like a tiny pine cone (hence its name), and is located near the center of the brain, between the two hemispheres, tucked in a groove where the two rounded thalamic bodies join.

Melatonin is a derivative of the amino acid tryptophan, which also has other functions in the central nervous system. The production of melatonin by the pineal gland is stimulated by darkness and inhibited by light. Photosensitive cells in the retina detect light and directly signal the suprachiasmatic nucleus (SCN), entraining its rhythm to the 24-hour cycle in nature. Fibers project from the SCN to the paraventricular nuclei (PVN), which relay the circadian signals to the spinal cord and out via the sympathetic system to superior cervical ganglia (SCG), and from there into the pineal gland. The function(s) of melatonin in humans is not clear; it is commonly prescribed for the treatment of circadian rhythm sleep disorders.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pineal_gland

See where it says Third Eye?

Quote:
The third eye (also known as the inner eye) is a mystical  and esoteric concept referring in part to the ajna (brow) chakra in certain Eastern and Western spiritual traditions. It is also spoken of as the gate that leads within to inner realms and spaces of higher consciousness. In New Age spirituality, the third eye may alternately symbolize a state of enlightenment or the evocation of mental images having deeply personal spiritual  or psychological  significance. The third eye is often associated with visions, clairvoyance  (which includes the ability to observe chakras and auras),  precognition, and out-of-body experiences, and people who have allegedly developed the capacity to utilize their third eyes are sometimes known as seers.

The pineal gland

Some writers and researchers, including H. P. Blavatsky[5] and Rick Strassman, have suggested that the third eye is in fact the partially dormant pineal gland, which resides between the two hemispheres of the brain. The pineal gland is said to secrete dimethyltryptamine (DMT)  which induces dreams, near-death experiences, meditation, or hallucinations. Various types of lower vertebrates, such as reptiles and amphibians, can actually sense light via a third parietal eye—a structure associated with the pineal gland—which serves to regulate their circadian rhythms, and for navigation, as it can sense the polarization of light.



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_eye



thank you for posting this


--------------------
:bobmarley: Shroomism said:
biting into a juicy delicious piece of fruit while tripping balls is probably up there in my greatest life experiences.:lsdabc:


HappyTrippin said:
I usually combat those kinds of negative statuses with a status of my own.

Let us rise up and be thankful, for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful. - Buddha

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: melatonin [Re: Sophistic Radiance]
    #12690074 -

I have narcolepsy, defined by having constant REM sleep from the moment I fall asleep until I wake, absent of all the other normal sleep phases. I tried melatonin (pre-diagnosis, trying to remedy my sleep issues) and it was no good for me. Strange fucked up nightmares and I was extremely angry in the morning. It seems promising for those whose brain chemistry is more normal than my ass-backwards type.


--------------------
"live fast, die fast"

-- gg allin

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: melatonin [Re: Lyena]
    #12690129 -

I worked graveyard shifts for over 20 years and have serious sleep disorders to this day because of it, even though the last time I was on night shift was five years ago.  Melatonin has never had one whit of effect for me.  I tried it when I had to sleep during the day, but it never helped one bit.  I've tried it now that I sleep at night, but it also doesn't help at all.  Perhaps different people have different chemistry.

To this day, I often wake up at 2 A.M. and can't get back to sleep.  I've learned to just get up and go to work, and then I'll be that much more tired the next night.
RR


--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms



semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: melatonin [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #12690855 -

You need to buy the sola ray brand. and either take more or less, there is a sweet spot.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: melatonin [Re: SS32]
    #12690886 -

unisom is not benadrly but it is an antihistimine.
to get to sleep i have used the following benadryl, unisom, xanax, melatonin.

right now i mostly pop a xanax and maybe some benadryl.

rick strassman worked with melatonin before dmt. it is the sleep chemical of our brain and is a tryptamine.


--------------------
Jesus wasn't real... and he doesn't love you... he loves LSD

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* DMT, Psilocybes, Pineal Gland, and Melanin (Melatonin)
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 all )
SouljaSmokinDoja 17,835 132 04/22/13 10:50 AM
by Prisoner#1
* Melatonin: High as a kite LEGALLY!!
( 1 2 all )
RonaldFuckingPaul 162,593 32 12/10/12 01:51 PM
by RonaldFuckingPaul
* Melatonin trendalM 3,184 16 12/23/04 03:43 PM
by Krishna
* Pineal Gland, fluoride & DMT
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Bologna 5,482 77 04/22/16 12:15 PM
by SirDabsAlot
* On Melatonin.. RonaldFuckingPaul 1,345 11 03/13/08 05:28 PM
by daytripper05
* Evidence finally shows n,n-DMT presence in pineal gland.
( 1 2 3 all )
snoot 3,606 44 12/04/13 07:04 PM
by Space Elf
* melatonin
( 1 2 all )
groovystoner 3,008 35 08/25/11 04:53 PM
by abltsandwich
* MAOIs, The Pineal Gland, Amanita Muscaria, and Coca-Cola TaterCaboose 3,214 16 07/13/11 04:51 PM
by Acaterpillar

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
3,113 topic views. 1 members, 40 guests and 239 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.036 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 16 queries.