Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
the most wonderful bacteria - The art of growing yogurt!
    #12005000 -

Yogurt making has been frustrating for me, my first two attempts where failures, for a couple reasons I suspect. Too warm, shitty starting cultures, not warm enough. I guess the biggest trouble in growing yogurt is incubating. Keeping the culture in the optimal temperature and environment so they can successfully grow into something magnificent. Roughly between 110-118 I here is the prime situation for acidphilus to grow. So what I'm doing for this tek, is taking a lunch box that is insulated and plastic, going to fill the bottom with very hot water, let that sit for awhile, so the box itself is heated up, so then it will stay warm I'm hoping for a good long time. I'm then going to put it near my fireplace, where I believe it will help stay warm. So I'll take my 2% milk warm that up to about 185f, then I'll let that cool to about 120-130, ok so now we have the milk ready to start and we can start to cultivate our yummness, take roughly 2-3 tablespoons, of your all natural non-fatfree we like fat and we like tasty things, you want live bacteria obviously, so you'll want to buy some yogurt that has live bacteria, not 'made from live bacteria' as I've seen some say. I just use Plain All Natural Danon Yogurt. Add those couple of tablespoons of live culture to your cooled milk, whisk that and incorporate well, but don't go nuts. Put into a quart sized container, and put it into your cooler, and put in a warm spot.

fyi, make sure all your tools and containers and pots and shit are very clean, just as growing mushrooms can be contaminated just as bacteria can be. We're basically growing certain bacteria that we want in a controlled environment.

So there it is, I'll let you know in 3 hours how things went. :boobs:


--------------------


∞
I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity.
- Simone de Beauvoir -

Edited by snoot (02/13/10 02:59 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: the most wonderful bacteria [Re: snoot]
    #12005765 -

Yep, thats the way to do it!
You sure it wont be to hot?


--------------------
What is a mind, if not something to be messed with? What is consciousness, if not a state to be altered?

~I Feel
:mushroom2:
at Home~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: the most wonderful bacteria [Re: dstark]
    #12006448 -

nope just pulled it out, nice thick ubber success. :smile:! mmm, it smells so good.


--------------------


∞
I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity.
- Simone de Beauvoir -

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: the most wonderful bacteria [Re: snoot]
    #12007176 -

Going to add to it something? like fresh forest berries or something liek that?


--------------------
What is a mind, if not something to be messed with? What is consciousness, if not a state to be altered?

~I Feel
:mushroom2:
at Home~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: the most wonderful bacteria [Re: dstark]
    #12008807 -

yz, generally I like it with some homemade granola on top some good vanilla and crystallized sugar ontop. So delicious, its cool how you can just grow more to when you run out. Sustainable goodness, is so delicious. :boobs: Blueberries and granola is good too, in the summer I have berries growing all over my land goose/rasp/black berries now that I found a good technique for growing the bacteria I'll never run out again.


--------------------


∞
I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity.
- Simone de Beauvoir -

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: the most wonderful bacteria [Re: snoot]
    #12022242 -


Does anyone actually make there own? I have some questions.

I started making it with whole milk, I made two quarts worth, using roughly 2-3tbs of the leftover yogurt from my first batch, I did it basically the same way, scalding the milk, cooling it to roughly 100-115 degree's ish, I'm using a fresh steak therm that isnt entirely accurate, I calibrate it in cold water then I put in boiling water and its off by 5-10degree's so idk whats going on there. Anyway I cooled the milk, add the milk into two quart containers, adding some vanilla to one of them, I'm not sure if itll effect the incubating or not. So I put that in my lunch box which insulates rather well, I boil some water and put in the box rougly 10-15minutes prior to putting the gurt in. After adding the milk to the containers I add the yogurt that I brought out at the beginning and left it out to come to room temp, then I add the gurt into the milk and whisk in. Top that and put in the box and let sit for roughly 3-3.5 hours, brought it out, it looked real loose like my first batch and put it in the fridge. About 3-4 hours later, I opened it up, smelt beautiful like yogurt should, but it was really loose, lots of whey, not as thick as it was at first. I used 2% milk the first time, so I'm trying to wrap my head around what might have happened. The one with vanilla seemed the same as the other one so I believe that had no effect on it.

Not long enough?
Too warm? Not warm enough?
The yogurt from the first batch maybe wasnt as potent and didnt grow as much?
Whole milk? I dont see why this would make a difference as I would think the acidophillus would enjoy the extra goodness? ?
Something else? Idk maybe I just can't expect it to be as thick as the first time as I'm using 2nd generation gurt's maybe they are getting tired? I hear some people say that you can only really expect to use the gurt for 4-5 grow sessions, and then they say it looses its tang and isnt as good.

Is that true? I dont see why it would loose its tang, aslong as you use enough and use fresh milk and shit each time, you'd think you could use it forever? Not sure I just wish there was someone with lots of experience with this to help me out. Its fascinating to me that you can grow something so delicious and its just basic bacteria. How wonderfull eh!?  :cheer:

Any advice or suggestions would be wonderfull!


--------------------


∞
I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity.
- Simone de Beauvoir -

Edited by snoot (02/13/10 03:19 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: the most wonderful bacteria [Re: snoot]
    #12022806 -

Try using one tbsp per qt container.(less is better, more room to work)..Heat up the container, the cooler before hand and try going 8-12 hours...


--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: the most wonderful bacteria [Re: Brainiac]
    #12024684 -

Yeah I think I'll go longer next time, its weird tho cause the first time I did it I went for roughly 3 hours, but it was started from store bought yogurt so maybe it was more potent, idk I'm eating some right now with granola and its more like cottage cheese cause its a bit runny, I may try adding some powdered milk next time I hear that helps to thicken it up. Thanks brainiac, do you make yogurt?


--------------------


∞
I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity.
- Simone de Beauvoir -

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: the most wonderful bacteria [Re: snoot]
    #12025805 -

And not moving it, will also help...


--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: the most wonderful bacteria [Re: Brainiac]
    #12027092 -

Is there anything that could go wrong? Contamination? Anything potentially harmful? How could I tell? Or is the only thing thats going to go wrong is me getting some spoiled milk? I'm very clean so i cant imagine anything bad going on .


--------------------


∞
I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity.
- Simone de Beauvoir -

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: the most wonderful bacteria [Re: Brainiac]
    #12027122 -

do you pasteurize or bring to boiling(milk)? I think milk which contains more fats would be better, also try different milk, like that kinds with more Ca, Vitamin C, etc. Just experiment with small batches, its all about that. :awesome:


--------------------
What is a mind, if not something to be messed with? What is consciousness, if not a state to be altered?

~I Feel
:mushroom2:
at Home~

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: the most wonderful bacteria [Re: snoot]
    #12027245 -

snoot said:
Is there anything that could go wrong? Contamination? Anything potentially harmful? How could I tell? Or is the only thing thats going to go wrong is me getting some spoiled milk? I'm very clean so i cant imagine anything bad going on .



Not really, your already contaminated it..

Just keep it clean,ie you don't have to bleach bomb the place...


--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: the most wonderful bacteria [Re: dstark]
    #12030852 -

dstark said:
do you pasteurize or bring to boiling(milk)? I think milk which contains more fats would be better, also try different milk, like that kinds with more Ca, Vitamin C, etc. Just experiment with small batches, its all about that. :awesome:




yeah I scalld it before putting the gurt in it, I cool the milk obviously. You're right tho expirementing is key thats what I was doing here, and I ended up with a saucy like product, like a creamy cottage cheese smells great but its really liquid. I'm going to try fresh gurt and whole milk and try it for 7-8 hours next time.


How do you guys enjoy your gurt?

anyone freeze it?


--------------------


∞
I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity.
- Simone de Beauvoir -

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Vanilla-fied Milk! HidingInPlainSight 1,295 3 09/25/03 09:43 PM
by GabbaDj
* Milk, White chocolate strawberry,buckeyes,bananas,pretzel HagbardCeline 1,942 1 02/13/04 06:11 PM
by geokills
* raising chickens
( 1 2 3 4 all )
the man 17,916 71 05/30/04 06:41 AM
by doc34
* Uncle T?s Psilly Barley Wine SiCkO 1,613 11 09/26/04 06:45 PM
by daussaulit
* cheesemaking Anonymous 1,082 6 10/14/03 10:58 PM
by GabbaDj
* vegitarian food Dobie 3,442 17 10/25/03 12:38 PM
by Bushdoctor
* FUDGE! Galvie_Flu 1,109 5 01/11/04 02:55 AM
by Llamanose
* dessert - leche flan boO 5,152 6 08/31/03 10:44 AM
by soochi

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: trendal, geokills, feevers
1,107 topic views. 0 members, 0 guests and 0 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.035 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.