Home | Community | Message Board

Azarius
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Culinary Arts, Gardening and Brewing

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineSiCkO
some white dude
Uncle T?s Psilly Barley Wine
    #3170374 - 09/23/04 04:32 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Uncle T?s Psilly Barley Wine:

Has anyone experimented with mushroom beers? It?s been on my mind for a while now and action will have to be taken soon! At first I was thinking of an imperial stout?and spiking each brew with a dose of psilly extract?.but I think I may have come up with something better?

Adding 3.5 grams of powder mushrooms to each 12 oz bottle of all-grain homebrew barley wine. The high alcohol (10-15%) should facilitate somewhat in dissolving the ?magic?. Also, the high bitterness (around 100 IBU) and strong malt character should do a fine job masking the shroom crap taste that would taint a more delicate beer. Any thoughts or suggestions? Peace.

-SWD

Oh yeah, we?ve got pumpkins here now! Will be creating a pumpkin ale next! Yeah!

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Loc: Earth
Re: Uncle T?s Psilly Barley Wine [Re: SiCkO]
    #3171770 - 09/23/04 09:49 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

That would be a good idea but it would be extremely time consuming. You'll have to leave it in secondary for a long time for it to clear up, unless you want to drink that yeast sludge. No to mention if your going to bottle condition, its going to take a few weeks too because most of the yeast has dropped out. I think with the high IBU and alcohol it should prevent the mushrooms from rotting. Also when your making a beer with that high of an alcohol content it needs a few months for it to mellow out, otherwise it might not taste that good. Another thing is alcohol is a diuretic, and psylocybin is water soluble, I would assume that you would urinite a good amount. Maybe 3.5 grams per 6oz. bottle might be better. Novel idea though, I like it.

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
    #3172055 - 09/23/04 10:37 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

if you want you can add a dose of shroom powder to some spirits, and let it soak some days.

i would put like 15 grams in a half pint, few good sips should get ya trippin.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

OfflineSiCkO
some white dude
    #3172551 - 09/23/04 11:50 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I'm looking into making a 3 gallon batch that when all said and done should yeild about 2 gallons to the bottle...all-grain barley wines are a bitch and my setups not big enough for a 5 gallon batch...as for aging...this would be multi-month (year?)...think how cool it would be to be like "hey i almost forgot i had these(years later)...here drink one mmwwhahahaha".

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Re: Uncle T?s Psilly Barley Wine [Re: Psychoslut]
    #3172921 - 09/24/04 01:00 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

what spirit would you use to cover up the taste, because that is what the entire point of this psilly barley wine, covering up the taste.

InvisibleCorporal Kielbasa
 User Gallery

Re: Uncle T?s Psilly Barley Wine [Re: daussaulit]
    #3178916 - 09/25/04 02:54 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Wont mushrooms contaminate and taint the clean brew by introducing foreign yeasts and kin?

--------------------

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

Re: Uncle T?s Psilly Barley Wine [Re: Corporal Kielbasa]
    #3178929 - 09/25/04 03:01 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Possibly, but he's talking about adding the mushrooms after the fermentation is done. Hops are natual preservatives for beer, and should stave off contaminants. Yeast might be a concern, but the alcohol in a barley wine is fairly high and probably will not get infected. Also most of the fermentable sugars will be gone already so there's nothing for wild yeast and bacteria to feed on.

OfflineSiCkO
some white dude
Re: Uncle T?s Psilly Barley Wine [Re: daussaulit]
    #3179444 - 09/25/04 06:06 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

Well, I would add the shrooms to the secondary fermenter about 2 months into fermentation. In barley wines there?s are a lot of unfermented sugars because the alcohol content is so high, but that?s not a big problem. Most yeasts and bacteria cannot grow at +10 % alcohol ?it takes special yeasts to do this finishing. The super high hop content and high alcohol content naturally inhibit bacterial and wild yeast growth..so this wont really be an issue (shouldn?t be?but anything?s possible in the world of microbiology).

Not sure if you guys know about the Belgian Iambics?these brews actually rely on wild yeasts and bacteria to give them their unique flavor?so you never know what you may get with a ?contamination??its still best to be clean though.

Offlinefelix
this and that
 User Gallery

#3179979 - 09/25/04 08:25 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

why not make a sort of strong mushroom tea first, then add a portion of that tea to each serving or to the final bottling process.

i don't know how the whole process works though..shroom water may dilute it too much or something.

--------------------
Real botanists laugh at HPS systems, we do however use high pressure sodium in the parking lot. - artthug

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

#3181278 - 09/26/04 01:58 AM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I would probably just add it to the bottle right before botting, just because you have no idea if all the psylocybin will be extracted out and go into the beer.

Also White Labs has this platinum strain of yeast, WLP099, Super High Gravity Ale. Tolerates up to 25%. You will probably have to special order it at your homebrew store.

As for Belgium Lambics, supposedly it can only be truly done in Belgium due to the weather. If you try to do it in your home it will probably be disgusting. Wyeast makes lambic blends containing Brettanomyces, Lactobacillus, and Pediococcus. I even think they Wyeast has a bacterial culture blend for lambics.

OfflineSiCkO
some white dude
    #3182799 - 09/26/04 04:18 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I love the whitelabs liquid cultures...so easy to use...Daussaulit, you make starters when using liquid cultures? I never have..been a bit to lazy..

I've read some about making "lambics" at home...no way am i to that point yet..too much time and possibility of making a shitty batch.

The tea idea sounds pretty good...

Invisibledaussaulit
Forgetful

#3183509 - 09/26/04 08:45 PM (12 years, 2 months ago)

I haven't made any starters yet, but people tell me that it is a must. I really haven't bought the equipment yet because there are other brewing equipment I need. I also find that White Labs does an excellent job with their yeast and haven't had any stuck fermentations.

As for lambics, I don't think I can truly enjoy that style. Also it will need a long time before you want to drink it. Like at least a year.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Culinary Arts, Gardening and Brewing