Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Trippy Indie?
    #11647681 -

Trying to get into Indie so I can share some more music with my girlfriend. The one band we both really like is Broken Social Scene. I love this band because its very psychedelic to me and I find it interesting. Its got an awesome drown to it. I'm trying to find more Indie like this, but am having trouble. I found one band called "TV on the Radio" that is similar. Stars, Mogwai and Bloc Party are all right too. I'd just love to find a band that makes my jaw drop so I can show it to my girl.

Just something thats not simple. All of Indie sounds so simple to me! Please help out guys.


--------------------
With Allure I Look to the Sky With Awakened Eyes

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Trippy Indie? [Re: Rocker232]
    #11649134 -

Indie music is fucking awesome... a few suggestions that are similar to BSS they aren't all indie but they're good shit

-Black Moth Super Rainbow
-Sigur Ros
-Sufjan Stevens
-Neutral Milk Hotel
-Beirut
-The Unicorns
-The Arcade Fire
-Bright Eyes
-Circa Survive
-Grizzly Bear (Went on tour with TV on the Radio, best show ever)
-The Mars Volta
-Atlas Sound
-Of Montreal
-Vampire Weekend

I know a bunch more but I don't want to overwhelm you.  Enjoy.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Trippy Indie? [Re: MaterialsScience]
    #11653964 -

MaterialsScience mentioned alot of things i would have, other then that,

Cloud Control - specifically the filmclip for the song canary

Devendra banhart
Niko Case
Lisa Gerard


--------------------
there you go man, keep as cool as you can.
Face piles
And piles
Of trials
With smiles.
It riles them to believe
That you perceive
The web they weave
And keep on thinking free

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Trippy Indie? [Re: Jfiligree]
    #11654335 -

Thank you much guys.


--------------------
With Allure I Look to the Sky With Awakened Eyes

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Trippy Indie? [Re: Rocker232]
    #11654377 -

Mogwai is really cool. check them out live if you can. ive seen them twice.

Climber is really cool too. theyre a little more trippy and complex than most single instrument indie out there.

id recommend their first, self titled album. im not a huge fan of the second one.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Trippy Indie? [Re: Rocker232]
    #11654558 -

I would like to second the bands:

Black Moth Super Rainbow (and if you like it, check out Tobacco),
Sigur Ros (again, if you like it, move to similar bands like Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Mogwai - already mentioned),
Grizzly Bear,
Atlas Sound (though I'm more familiar with his full band Deerhunter, and they kick ass),
Of Montreal (Particularly the album "Hissing Fauna..."),
Devendra Banhart (haven't heard the newest, but his albums Cripple Crow, Nino Rojo, and Rejoicing in the Hands are all great).


And since they haven't already been mentioned, Animal Collective, Panda Bear, etc... all their friends.

Check out the album "Woods Family Creeps" - it's the band Woods w/ an extra member, and it's great. If you'd like a creepier, folk version of the Unicorns, here ya go.


But Rocker... if I remember right, you really like stoner metal, etc, right?

There is middle ground between indie and metal.

It's instrumental, but check out the album High Beams by Magic Lantern.
And Cloudland Canyon ('lie in light'). Pretty psyched out 'kraut' rock from last year.


--------------------

funky ass music: Planet of Dinosaurs // Rich Whiskey

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Trippy Indie? *DELETED* [Re: lukeboots]
    #11655305 -

Indie is such a broad term most good music is 'underground' I don't try to pigeonhole but it helps to know if you want Indie Rock (Grizzly Bear, Bloc Party), Post-rock (Sigur, Mogwai), Electro (Black Moth), Psychedelic Rock (Cloudland C., Vampire W.), World (Gerrard) or Folk (Sufjan, Devendra).

Can't go wrong with Panda Bear or Animal Collective, I DKWTF to call that... Art Rock?

If you like them check out Caribou - The Milk of Human Kindness. :mushroom2:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Trippy Indie? [Re: Middleman]
    #11655373 -

Yeah, it does help when the person knows what they want... but that's rarely the case when looking for new music :lol:


Good call on Caribou, that album is great!


--------------------

funky ass music: Planet of Dinosaurs // Rich Whiskey

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Trippy Indie? [Re: lukeboots]
    #11655404 -
Log in to view attachment

True I'm talking about the most broad distinctions. :sherlock:

Caribou song attached. Also look for the madness that is Dan Deacon (chip tune), The Books (cut up) and Hella (prog jazz).

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Trippy Indie? [Re: Middleman]
    #11656862 -

Animal Collective! 




Pixies! (best indie rock band imo)


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Trippy Indie? [Re: Rocker232]
    #11657323 -

I'll add another Deerhunter/Atlas Sound/Lotus Plaza rec. So so great. Start with Microcastles by Deerhunter and Logos by Atlas Sound.

Cryptograms, Deerhunter's second full length (well, now third since the front man just released a cassette LP from 2005 but whatever) is definitely more out there. Atlas Sound's first album (Logos is his second) is good but Logos is great.

Check out Yeasayer, they're quite good.

Groups like Washed Out and Toro Y Moi (actually neither of those are groups) are part of a growing trend, I'd say check out those two as they are my favorite and see if you like it.

Beach House is amazing.

How do you feel about the garage rock side of things? Bands like Thee Oh Sees, Meth Teeth, Boogie Boarder, and such is stuff I've really been getting into lately.

And finally I love Man Man. Nurses is a pretty interesting band. Devendra Banhart also has some great albums.

I'll stop there.

Edit: Oh I forgot Dungen!


--------------------
!

Edited by jewunit (12/15/09 06:45 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Trippy Indie? [Re: MaterialsScience]
    #11660864 -

MaterialsScience said:
Indie music is fucking awesome... a few suggestions that are similar to BSS they aren't all indie but they're good shit

-Black Moth Super Rainbow
-Sigur Ros
-Sufjan Stevens
-Neutral Milk Hotel
-Beirut
-The Unicorns
-The Arcade Fire
-Bright Eyes
-Circa Survive
-Grizzly Bear (Went on tour with TV on the Radio, best show ever)
-The Mars Volta
-Atlas Sound
-Of Montreal
-Vampire Weekend

I know a bunch more but I don't want to overwhelm you.  Enjoy.



Well out of this I got Black Moth Super Rainbow. I already had Of Montreal and TMV (huge fan). I'll keep going through this topic but my hopes are low. I just find everything in this genre to sound exactly the same. And why can't it be more complex? Maybe its because I'm a Metal fan, but a lot of it just sounds so simple. I will search on though!


--------------------
With Allure I Look to the Sky With Awakened Eyes

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Trippy Indie? [Re: Rocker232]
    #11660911 -

Seconded on Animal Collective. I once listened to all of their albums and eps (some of them twice) with my friend on mushrooms and it had to be one of the most beautiful events that has ever transpired in my life. People either love them or hate them, but god damn their music is so organic. Also check out Panda Bear (Noah Lennox of Animal Collective). His solo stuff such as Young Prayer and Person Pitch are godly.

I find that listening to Black Moth Super Rainbow is perfect for the come up when tripping and so is the psych-rapper Edan. I fully suggest just about everyone else listed here, along with Fleet Foxes, Neon Indian, Washed Out, WHY? and Bibio (check his new album!!).

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Trippy Indie? [Re: founddelicious]
    #11660967 -

Yeah I'm definitely a hater on the Animal Collective. I just don't get it and find the vocals annoying. I think Grizzly Bear is the better band. I listened to it with my girlfriend the other day and we just stood there saying, "what the fuck is this?"


--------------------
With Allure I Look to the Sky With Awakened Eyes

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Trippy Indie? [Re: Rocker232]
    #11662680 -

yeah i dont really like Animal Collective either. really dont understand how so many people can enjoy that.. its just noise.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Trippy Indie? [Re: frith]
    #11662707 -

:picard:


--------------------

funky ass music: Planet of Dinosaurs // Rich Whiskey

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Trippy Indie? [Re: frith]
    #11663113 -

frith said:
yeah i dont really like Animal Collective either. really dont understand how so many people can enjoy that.. its just noise.



I don't really like AC either, but man if you really wanna hear just noise AC is definitely not it.


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Trippy Indie? [Re: frith]
    #11663793 -

frith said:
yeah i dont really like Animal Collective either. really dont understand how so many people can enjoy that.. its just noise.




you have to listen to their live shows when you're high,  i guess everyones different  but their music often gets me into a music induced trance which i like  and they have a lot of energy and trippy sounds...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   Sporeworks.EU Spores for European Microscopy


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* The Indie Album Thread
( 1 2 3 4 ... 64 65 )
TrippinTeddy 177,694 1,280 11/20/11 12:37 PM
by froess
* indie music for tripping skatealex2 1,436 12 04/30/13 11:47 AM
by Middleman
* Trippy music list Lucracy 7,077 10 11/19/11 03:15 PM
by inlimbo
* Let's discuss Indie Pop. Abudiwa 1,553 8 05/24/02 02:14 PM
by Revelation
* Devendra Banhart - Cripple Crow plexus 1,138 8 03/20/07 02:20 PM
by plexus
* Devendra Banhart SerioOria 596 1 08/02/05 01:51 PM
by knumb
* any programs that are easier then abelton to use? for idm/indie
( 1 2 all )
skatealex2 1,583 24 01/29/10 02:41 AM
by skatealex2
* Awesome Indie Rock Label ryanvergel 873 4 05/16/05 12:26 PM
by OneMoreRobot3021

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, automan, DividedQuantum
3,479 topic views. 0 members, 4 guests and 8 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.031 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.