Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]
Re: DC sniper's Muhammad's execution set for tonight [Re: Lakefingers]
    #11447920 -

Quote:
Everyone has tried to broadside it by mocking it or saying this is how things are, change ain't gonna come.



I didn't say that. Change can come, with enough sustained support. Still, you are right, taking a stand in a philosophical discussion doesn't need change.

I see inaction as a choice which must be justified just like any other action. I'm not crying over Muhammad's demise. The real issue IMO is it's effect on those involved, crying for blood and doing the dirty work.

By appearances it seems the act can provide some form of closure. I've thought about it too much not to question that, but I don't feel qualified to determine the net effect.


--------------------
rahz

comfort pleasure power love     truth awareness peace I am      I feel      I do     I love  I speak    I see    I know

why there is reality and patterned, law-like consistency at all, rather than noise or non-reality is not a question physics answers. It's a question physics presupposes an answer to in order to provide other answers.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: DC sniper's Muhammad's execution set for tonight [Re: Lakefingers]
    #11448399 -

Quote:
Both you and Grapefruit are throwing some lousy, false dichotomies into my lap in order to avoid confronting my statements.



Funny that I was thinking almost exactly the same thing. :lol:

Honestly you appear to have completely failed to say exactly why the government governing whether we live or die is any different to them governing any other aspect of life.

Telling other debaters they don't understand your points and are being stupid is fairly pointless in a debate and you might aswell just duck out of the debate if you think that but are not willing to support the claim.


--------------------
Little left in the way of energy; or the way of love, yet happy to entertain myself playing mental games with the rest of you freaks until the rivers run backwards. 

"Chat your fraff
Chat your fraff
Just chat your fraff
Chat your fraff"

Edited by Grapefruit (11/13/09 03:01 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: DC sniper's Muhammad's execution set for tonight *DELETED* [Re: Grapefruit]
    #11451922 -

Post deleted by Lakefingers

Reason for deletion: "

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: DC sniper's Muhammad's execution set for tonight [Re: Lakefingers]
    #11452168 -

than control of farming equipment, banana import and fish populations.

Nice try but that's just not true imo. You pick on a couple of benign little things and pretend this is the extent of govt control outside of the big issue of death. Not so. Much govt control (the lack of freedom of what to do with your own body being just one example) basically can make life hardly that of being more then a slave.

I really think you are emotionally invested and so thinking irrationally about this issue.


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: DC sniper's Muhammad's execution set for tonight [Re: Icelander]
    #11452656 -

Quote:
Life and death are more fundamental and universal issues than control of farming equipment, banana import and fish populations. As far as the rest: do you see any difference between the government, or a lynch mob or citizens carrying out the death penalty?



Are you a murderer?  I'm not.  The death penalty, with it's current range of applicable crimes (at least in the USA), is not universal.  There are other crimes beyond murder to which the death penalty may be applied, although it is rarely done these days (again, in the USA).

Are you a farmer?  A fisherman?  Regulation of such things have the potential to develop into life and death issues for some specifically skilled members of our society.  I know, it is a weak argument, as they do have the option to pursue another means of sustaining themselves in the world.

Now, with the transitive nature of government and laws perhaps it is unwise to empower government with the ability to end lives.  Capital punishment has been steadily diminishing from the world recently, particularly since WWII, so I'm not sure that it was ever a power granted to government, but rather one (like all others) that was assumed, and that is being progressively stripped away. 

In most nations it is reserved for whatever are deemed to be the most heinous of crimes, and this list is occasionally determined by religious or traditional motivations (sodomy in several islamic states, witchcraft in saudi arabia, regicide in thailand). 

Looking at the crimes which are potentially punishable by death worldwide, it seems that some are arranged to provide deterrent to offenses against individuals (violent crimes) while others are in place to deter actions which could potentially compromise a government's maintenance of control (treason).  Still others, as above, are attempts to restrain a population to fit within a religious ideology.

Ultimately, I believe the underlying motivation to maintain the death penalty is the ability to use the state to exact vengance which would otherwise be illegal for individuals or mobs.  But when the alternative is to keep them in a cage for the entirety of their existence at the burden of the relatively peaceful people, wouldn't it just be easier to put them down? (I'm reminded of my blind, deaf guinea pig here)

Quote:
do you see any difference between the government, or a lynch mob or citizens carrying out the death penalty?



The benefit of a government carrying out executions is that the government is supposedly bound by a legal process, as flawed as that process may be.

A problem of course arises with the ability of the legal system to avoid convicting innocent people...

As a side note...

I do not believe in the existence of human rights.  I suggest replacing "human rights" with "human defined minimum standards guaranteed to all people which we (we being whomever was in a position of power that allowed them to define such rights at the time) have decided will lead to a peaceful and orderly society while allowing each person to enjoy their stay here." 

Perhaps this doesn't need to be explained, but clarifying the idea of rights helps to avoid such silliness as women's ski jumpers feeling their rights are being violated by not being allowed to participate in the 2010 olympics.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: DC sniper's Muhammad's execution set for tonight [Re: Icelander]
    #11453223 -

Icelander said:
Why is it a humans right to live?  I have no problem putting someone to death if I think they are a problem that can't be resolved. This is how nature has always worked.




Agreed. Case and point, in July of last year while riding on a Greyhound here in Manitoba Vince Li suddenly stabbed Tim McLean numerous times in the torso and throat, and proceeded to decapitate him as the bus halted and passengers fled. Locked in the bus by driver and a few others with a crow bar and hammer, he continued in the next hour or two to taunt the passengers with mutilated pieces of the body, and at one point ate part of Tim's arm.

Can we the human race not agree as an organism that morality and ethics aside  we simply do not need these individuals reproducing? Can we not accept that sometimes humans simply break?

They could have entered the bus and shot him down, we all would have felt a whole-fucking-lot better and gone on with our lives. Instead we watched the arrest, the trial, the insanity plea, the treatment centers, the clinical diagnosis, and now his sustainment in intensive care under our tax paying dollars. Meanwhile the family of Tim McLean being as emotionally involved as they are have fought to keep him imprisoned, as they are already suggesting his release to a monitored life if his condition improves.

Watching him eat a mutilated corpse, I think at that point someone should have simply yelled ZOMBIE! and shot him in the face, and gone home feeling the pride of saving the human race from yet another outbreak. :smirk:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: DC sniper's Muhammad's execution set for tonight *DELETED* [Re: Icelander]
    #11453423 -

Post deleted by Lakefingers

Reason for deletion: "

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: DC sniper's Muhammad's execution set for tonight *DELETED* [Re: DisoRDeR]
    #11453512 -

Post deleted by Lakefingers

Reason for deletion: "

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: DC sniper's Muhammad's execution set for tonight [Re: Tropism]
    #11454612 -

Well that would have been something to see.:lol:

Any way killing him would be the merciful thing to do.


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: DC sniper's Muhammad's execution set for tonight [Re: Lakefingers]
    #11456819 -

Yes, I realize the silliness of equating fisheries management with capital punishment.  I suppose my intent was to illustrate that these issues lie in different locations on the continuum of significance for different people.

I have often toyed with the idea that one volunteers to be on the receiving end of reciprocal action whenever they harm another.  I stole some shit when I was younger, so when the day came that I walked out of a night class at university and noticed only an empty rack where my bicycle had once been, I didn't stress too much.  The universe is settling into a steady state. 

I am currently in China.  Most of this discussion has taken place from the perspective of a democratically elected government. 

While the government supposedly reflects the will of the people and their moral alignment (supposedly true of any government you asked, I'm guessing, although only democratic societies allow for a litmus test), the people also reflect the government.  That is, our malleable minds are certainly subject to the influence of politicians, the judicial system, educational curriculums, etc.

There is a question then of responsibility.  Does the government have a responsibility to stand as an example?  Do we want to teach our successors that this is the way justice should be dealt?

I suspect that for some the rule of law is an attempt to manifest the hand of god on earth.  It looks like western nations are turning the page to the new testament and dropping the eye for an eye thing.  Some Islamic nations are still stuck on butthole surfing.  They'll get there.

Then there is the issue of the deterrent effects of execution.  The jury is still out on that one, as it is a difficult matter to quantify.  Whatever the case, I welcome the day when we can take off the training wheels and water wings and live decently without the need for any deterrents.  I won't hold my breath...

If anyone is interested in reading further, this paper is a good jumping-off point.  Of particular interest to any who would argue for the economic benefits of execution vs. incarceration is...
Quote:
As a public policy choice, execution requires tradeoffs of public resources and investments for state legislators and local prosecutors. The costs of administering capital punishment are prohibitive. Even in states where prosecutors infrequently seek the death penalty, the price of obtaining convictions and executions ranges from $2.5 million to $5 million per case (in current dollars), compared to less than $1 million for each killer sentenced to life without parole.30 These costs create clear public policy choices. If the state is going to spend $5 million on law enforcement over the next few decades, what is the best use of that money? Is it to buy two or three executions or, for example, to fund additional police detectives, prosecutors, and judges to arrest and incarcerate criminals who escape punishment because of insufficient law-enforcement resources?



Whatever the case, the trend of the last century appears to be leading towards the worldwide elimination of capital punishment. 

Quote:
Are you a puppet?



No, not a puppet, just a long time intermittent lurker who is occasionally struck with a spontaneous desire to participate.


Oh, and to the original question of this thread, I have no particular issue with this man's life coming to an end.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: DC sniper's Muhammad's execution set for tonight [Re: Lakefingers]
    #11458827 -

Lakefingers said:
Icelander said:
than control of farming equipment, banana import and fish populations.

Nice try but that's just not true imo. You pick on a couple of benign little things and pretend this is the extent of govt control outside of the big issue of death. Not so. Much govt control (the lack of freedom of what to do with your own body being just one example) basically can make life hardly that of being more then a slave.

I really think you are emotionally invested and so thinking irrationally about this issue.



And I think you'll do anything you can to avoid playing with ideas that would disturb the fragile, but comfortable and dogmatic rut of death anxiety that you've lured yourself into for the past while. Time to leave that like Casta�eda. See, in other words, we get no where with these and just demonstrate we should study the fallacies thread and be more playful with concepts and ideas.




Only difference is I dont agree with your position here and you do agree with my ideas on death anxiety.  Kind of a big difference really.


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: DC sniper's Muhammad's execution set for tonight [Re: learningtofly]
    #11458845 -

The issue is still not whether you are a murderer, but whether a large bureaucracy should decide over this.

Maybe I missed your response cause I've been in and out of this thread but if the govt doesn't decide then who would be the deciding party?

Don't we elect them to make decisions for us?

I still don't understand why this decision is fundamentally different then all teh other pleasant and unpleasant decisions we turn over to them. :confused:


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: DC sniper's Muhammad's execution set for tonight *DELETED* [Re: Icelander]
    #11459778 -

Post deleted by Lakefingers

Reason for deletion: No reason.

Edited by Lakefingers (11/15/09 12:52 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: DC sniper's Muhammad's execution set for tonight [Re: Lakefingers]
    #11459807 -

Quote:
do you see any difference between the government, or a lynch mob or citizens carrying out the death penalty?



It is the governments role to make decisions about others lives, pretty big difference really. I would not accept any of the rules and regulations imposed upon me by the government being imposed on me by a citizen.


--------------------
Little left in the way of energy; or the way of love, yet happy to entertain myself playing mental games with the rest of you freaks until the rivers run backwards. 

"Chat your fraff
Chat your fraff
Just chat your fraff
Chat your fraff"

Edited by Grapefruit (11/15/09 12:55 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: DC sniper's Muhammad's execution set for tonight [Re: Lakefingers]
    #11459856 -

/me buckles up and prepares to be hated.
:lol:


No I see your points. Well I guess if the govt was healthier I could make a  better case. I just hate keeping folk in prison forever. Not just the amazing expense but there is really no chance of rehab unless the prisoner takes it on themselves. And if really not guilty it's a hell of a bad deal to rot in there. The chances of getting these faulty convictions overturned is really crappy.

I would then like to see a voluntary death penalty. Just in case I ever end up there.:grin:


--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: DC sniper's Muhammad's execution set for tonight [Re: Lakefingers]
    #11459894 -

Quote:
/me buckles up and prepares to be hated



You were hated before DictatorshipModship, so it's a wash.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Cultivation Supplies


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Witch to be executed in Saudi Arabia OrgoneConclusion 721 7 02/14/08 09:21 PM
by Icelander
* Gnosis Tonight Zahid 528 4 11/08/03 11:10 PM
by silversoul7
* Leonid Showers tonight!
( 1 2 all )
Swami 2,900 25 11/19/02 04:37 PM
by GrowingVines
* take part in a prayer experiment tonight!
( 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 all )
NiamhNyx 8,921 140 06/07/07 05:04 PM
by Icelander
* "From Ape to Man" on History Channel at 9 PCT tonight
( 1 2 all )
Swami 2,812 33 08/11/05 03:38 PM
by PhanTomCat
* I saw the white light tonight
( 1 2 all )
Syle 2,511 21 01/07/07 09:51 AM
by MarkostheGnostic
* Mystery of Death-on Larry King Live tonight gettinjiggywithit 927 12 04/02/05 10:10 AM
by gettinjiggywithit
* Listen to Coast to Coast am tonight Anonymous 586 6 05/27/03 11:22 AM
by Strumpling

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Middleman, DividedQuantum
3,076 topic views. 2 members, 3 guests and 15 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.026 seconds spending 0.006 seconds on 15 queries.