Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
what is good posture?
    #11360570 -

is it having your spine perfectly straight?
or rather is there a natural, slight curve that it should relax into?


and i don't mean none of that hooey dooey fancy model posture- but like in terms so I don't have back problems 30years down the line.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: what is good posture? [Re: shivas.wisdom]
    #11360584 -

how the fuck should i know?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: what is good posture? [Re: GeorgieBoy]
    #11360608 -

shoulders shouldnt be curved inwards but straight
chest high
tailbone slightly tucked in

basically just make sure that your ribcage is open enough so you are getting deep breathes

if you can't breathe deeply, focus on your breathe. focus on how your body compresses when you exhale. on the inhale, focus on how your body expands - and then with each additional inhale, try and get more air and I believe you may find yourself intuitively correcting your body posture

this is the best i have, some might say don't post something unless you're absolutely sure it will work,

but i hope this will be helpful to you


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: what is good posture? [Re: EternalCowabunga]
    #11360610 -

and yes a straight spine is important, you dont want to be hunched over like an old man when you're still young


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: what is good posture? [Re: EternalCowabunga]
    #11360625 -

EternalCowabunga said:
and yes a straight spine is important, you dont want to be hunched over like an old man when you're still young



Well, there is quite a bit of natural curvature in the spine. Saying somebody's spine should be "perfectly" straight isn't really correct.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: what is good posture? [Re: Grizvok]
    #11360672 -

I never said perfect.. but let's say your sitting, your upper body should probably be closer to a 90 degree angle from your hip, and not something like a 45 degree angle


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: what is good posture? [Re: EternalCowabunga]
    #11360678 -

I'm more a fan of the obtuse angle sitting than right or acute angle sitting.


--------------------
!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: what is good posture? [Re: jewunit]
    #11360702 -

For me, it seems different situations call for different postures. When you're tired, it's really hard to sit with an erect posture. Some situations also feel very awkward when your spine is erect.

Why?

Not sure. But I think it has to do with your level of alertness or awareness. Sitting up straight allows you to be more alert than when slumped over. Some situations call for a more relaxed awareness. And although you can be relaxed while sitting up straight, the sharp awareness is still there. It may put some people on edge. Different strokes for different folks, though.

I don't think either way is physically bad for you. In fact, just because of the fact that you are aware of your posture is a good sign that you won't suffer from back problems when you get older. As issues come up, you will be aware of them and deal with them. Many people don't realize their backs are messed up until it shows up a as chronic back pain of some sort.

Chronically bad backs stem from other health issues besides just how you 'decide' to sit.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: what is good posture? [Re: PsychoPsilocin]
    #11360798 -

I achieve excellent posture by imagining that there is a string anchored to the top of my head and it is pulling me upwards slightly.

For me this does all the pre-mentioned

It works amazingly well.  I feel lighter on my feet.

And these:


:awebig:
For sitting while at a computer or work desk.  Amazingly comfortable for long stretches of time.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: what is good posture? [Re: EternalCowabunga]
    #11360992 -

EternalCowabunga said:
shoulders shouldnt be curved inwards but straight
chest high
tailbone slightly tucked in

basically just make sure that your ribcage is open enough so you are getting deep breathes

if you can't breathe deeply, focus on your breathe. focus on how your body compresses when you exhale. on the inhale, focus on how your body expands - and then with each additional inhale, try and get more air and I believe you may find yourself intuitively correcting your body posture

this is the best i have, some might say don't post something unless you're absolutely sure it will work,

but i hope this will be helpful to you




That felt really fucking good, thanks for posting this method.

Every time I remember to focus on my breathing it's definitely worth it.


--------------------
“I have lived on the lip of insanity, wanting to know reasons, knocking on a door. It opens.
I've been knocking from the inside.” - Rumi

“The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of starstuff.” - Carl Sagan

Edited by Frost (11/01/09 04:51 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: what is good posture? [Re: Dickhead]
    #11386596 -

Awebig said:
I achieve excellent posture by imagining that there is a string anchored to the top of my head and it is pulling me upwards slightly.




You know.. I use this to keep good posture when I meditate and it's never occured to me that it would transfer over to daily life. :facepalm:

EternalCowabunga said:
shoulders shouldnt be curved inwards but straight
chest high
tailbone slightly tucked in

basically just make sure that your ribcage is open enough so you are getting deep breathes

if you can't breathe deeply, focus on your breathe. focus on how your body compresses when you exhale. on the inhale, focus on how your body expands - and then with each additional inhale, try and get more air and I believe you may find yourself intuitively correcting your body posture

this is the best i have, some might say don't post something unless you're absolutely sure it will work,

but i hope this will be helpful to you



Great advice, I have been trying to be more conscious of my breath these last few days. I can feel my posture get better as I start to do deep, steady breathing. Now I just need to make this my natural position.. I think I spent too much of my youth slouching and want to nip that in the bud.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: what is good posture? [Re: shivas.wisdom]
    #11386904 -

Yeah...  I don't meditate. I do that while walking and driving or sex while standing.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: what is good posture? [Re: Dickhead]
    #11386933 -

I like the string idea. I learned the same thing by having someone place a hand firmly (but not pressing) in the center of the back right below the shoulder blades. Your back and shoulders should naturally straighten and push forward a bit. You can definitely feel it when it's right.


--------------------
"If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp it was written on."

"Let us declare nature to be legitimate. All plants should be declared legal, and all animals for that matter. The notion of illegal plants and animals is obnoxious and ridiculous."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: what is good posture? [Re: RazzleCap]
    #11386945 -

My goal is to always be as horizontal as possible.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: what is good posture? [Re: shivas.wisdom]
    #11387018 -

that was good advice.  any posture in which your breathing is full and effortless, and your body is comfortable and relaxed is a good posture.

i was reading a kind of interesting article about how traditional japanese sitting postures inhibit blood flow and mobility, i thought that was interesting. i wonder if it applies to what we think of as traditional good posture.


--------------------
You can check the last post in my journal for contact info.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: what is good posture? [Re: shivas.wisdom]
    #11387052 -

shivas.wisdom said:
is it having your spine perfectly straight?
or rather is there a natural, slight curve that it should relax into?


and i don't mean none of that hooey dooey fancy model posture- but like in terms so I don't have back problems 30years down the line.



definitely not perfectly straight....there are 4 natural curves to the spine from the bottom of the tail bone to the base of the skull.  good posture is when these curves are in alignment and not overly exaggerated...


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Have you ever broken your tailbone (coccys)
( 1 2 all )
Patlal 1,926 20 10/04/15 06:20 PM
by Shroomslip
* Meditation posture
( 1 2 all )
freddurgan 3,916 21 05/25/05 11:30 PM
by freddurgan
* Good way to fix posture? freddurgan 698 5 04/28/04 06:11 AM
by DieCommie
* Posture daba 542 5 05/13/04 06:55 PM
by daveball0420
* Posture QuantumMeltdown 442 3 11/19/03 11:35 PM
by Osker246
* I need a program that will compress mp3's. pantsboy 688 5 08/10/07 05:28 PM
by pantsboy
* Compressing old files. Psy Baba 265 0 09/12/07 08:16 PM
by Psy Baba
* Its just a perfect day Dreamer987 611 2 04/10/06 12:32 PM
by Revelation

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
586 topic views. 2 members, 9 guests and 95 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.035 seconds spending 0.009 seconds on 16 queries.