Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Invisiblewhiterasta
Day careobserver
 User Gallery
Loc: Oregon
Mental Masturbation?
    #1112978 - 12/05/02 10:33 AM (14 years, 2 days ago)

I am finding that there are a couple of very seriously rigid views on this forum Believer/Non-believer , causal/acausal ,spritual /religious.The philosophers like to correct the physicists and vice/versa.This is a very good thing but it does reach a point of merely mentaly masturbating as "convincing" someone else that YOU are right and THEY are wrong is a self gratification response not a growth dialog.With that said and my days of masturbation over I ask that you all realize that I have NO intention of convincing anyone that MY thought mode is superior :grin:.I just really enjoy debate,and will debate until the discussion degenerates to statements like "determinism is shit" :tongue: or some of the other absolute negations of any thought mode.At that point the discussion is providing a warm palm for two party mental masturbation.We I believe need to recognize that most of the physical uniiverse is comprised of opposites in static tension,why,I ask you should we opperate outside that paradigm?In short keep the tension but let's quit with the mental wacking off :wink: I again thank you all for making this the most stimulating(hey now not like that! :grin:),thought provoking and mentaly challenging forum I have EVER come across. :wink: WR

--------------------
To old for this place

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineRemy
Bitches Brew
 User Gallery

Loc: Atlanta, GA
Re: Mental Masturbation? [Re: whiterasta]
    #1112988 - 12/05/02 10:40 AM (14 years, 2 days ago)

Quote:

The philosophers like to correct the physicists and vice/versa.

Why would a philospher correct a physicist, when at this point in time, physics and philosphy are practically the same field. :smile:

I agree with you that we should set a common goal of progression. Instead of trying to negate each others ideas and beliefs, we should try to build upon them, in order to reach a greater understanding for all of us.

Edited by Remy (12/05/02 10:45 AM)

Invisiblewhiterasta
Day careobserver
 User Gallery
Re: Mental Masturbation? [Re: Remy]
    #1113024 - 12/05/02 10:54 AM (14 years, 2 days ago)

I agree on that Remy however there are elements in both feilds which are resistant to the merger :wink: Just an example of some of the dichotomy which is the energy source for much inspiration.Perhaps not the best metaphor but pretty good for doing it while waiting on my coffee eh? :smirk: my point is to try and keep this tension without discussions devolving into proselytizing for your viewpoint.We are all intelligent and capable of forming our world view and by and large have so trying to change someones is intrusive.An exchange which causes someone to change their own world view is a growth tool.I am saying that inducing growth should be a primary focus of discusssion not convincing someone they are "wrong" or that YOU know The Way.This does not exclude a persons private experiences from being shared,just askes that a certain tolerance and a politness of query be brought into that experience.Am I off base here? :tongue: Or does my post make sense?(as I try to convince you to my thought mode :wink: )
Have a fine day all :grin:WR

--------------------
To old for this place

OfflineGazzBut
Refraction

Loc: London UK
    #1113039 - 12/05/02 11:03 AM (14 years, 2 days ago)

makes perfect sense to me! nice work.

--------------------
Always Smi2le

InvisibleFreakQlibrium
Son of Uncle Meat
Male User Gallery

Loc: Toronto Canada
    #1113057 - 12/05/02 11:14 AM (14 years, 2 days ago)

challenging forum I have EVER come across.  :blush: :grin: 

--------------------
"Being crazier than a shithouse rat is not sufficient grounds for banishment"

OfflineTannis
ZoneTrooper
Loc: MD.USA
    #1113594 - 12/05/02 01:50 PM (14 years, 2 days ago)

....I'm not much for debate but I love your style and the way you "said" everything......

.........debate for me is pretty tough......As I've said before, much of what I "sense" can't be proven, because it is not functioning with the five physical senses.

How do you have an intellectual discussion about what is perceived "spiritually"?

This becomes an endless dabate ( or masturbate....mentally) between believer and unbeliever. Those who experience these things understand but those who look at the discussion and experience intellectually just say "This can't be, because I can't prove it with the five physical senses."

InvisibleIn(di)go
People of the sun.
Male User Gallery

Loc: Cologne, Germany
Re: Mental Masturbation? [Re: Tannis]
    #1113989 - 12/05/02 03:48 PM (14 years, 1 day ago)

In reply to:

How do you have an intellectual discussion about what is perceived "spiritually"?

you open your heart and let the spirit talk through you... basically it depends on the openness of the person you are debating with, because i must honestly say every spiritual truth i have "stumbled across" makes perfect logic sense... and after every realization i have i ask myself "why didnt i see this before? it's so logic... so simple" ... and it is... although i have to add i am not always in the mood for debating... sometimes i just cant get enough of it... try and put every thought and feeling into words... use analogies, come up with examples.. but sometimes i just say "fuck it, its useless"... if the other person refuses to see things, then i can't be of help...

--------------------

Offlinepostanaldrip
human alien
Male
Loc: Earth
Re: Mental Masturbation? [Re: In(di)go]
    #1114079 - 12/05/02 04:05 PM (14 years, 1 day ago)

"you open your heart and let the spirit talk through you... basically it depends on the openness of the person you are debating with, because i must honestly say every spiritual truth i have "stumbled across" makes perfect logic sense... and after every realization i have i ask myself "why didnt i see this before? it's so logic... so simple" ... and it is... although i have to add i am not always in the mood for debating... sometimes i just cant get enough of it... try and put every thought and feeling into words... use analogies, come up with examples.. but sometimes i just say "fuck it, its useless"... if the other person refuses to see things, then i can't be of help... "

Very well said.  :grin:  I feel exactly the same way.   

--------------------
"It's not until we've lost everything, that we're free to do anything." TDFC

Offline3eyedgod
trippinkid

Loc: Far away and very near
    #1114473 - 12/05/02 05:39 PM (14 years, 1 day ago)

We're all right :grin:

What we need to work towards is a unified field theory.  A gargantum task, but if anyone is up to the challenge, it's the denizens of the shroomey :wink:

--------------------
Without everything wouldn't nothing be everything and without nothing wouldn't everything be nothing.I am the beginning and the end,the source and the void, the light and the darkness,i am but a small drop of the ocean yet i am an ocean unto myself

OfflineTannis
ZoneTrooper
Loc: MD.USA
Re: Mental Masturbation? [Re: In(di)go]
    #1117190 - 12/06/02 02:43 PM (14 years, 23 hours ago)

...I agree....well put......

Anonymous

#1117572 - 12/06/02 04:21 PM (14 years, 21 hours ago)

Nicely done WR, nicely done! :smile:

I agree, with reservations.  Make no mistake about it I find some of your ideas to be patent nonsense but that does not mean I hold you! in disrepute.  I think you are a capable intelligent man that adds a lot to the forum and I am delighted that you post here! :smile:

I have many functions here but the most important one is to facilitate good conversations, meaning a minimum of bashing and flames.  For the most part that is an easy task because our regulars are some of the best people I have ever had the pleasure to serve.

As far as the rest is concerned I am a student/teacher.  I primarily focus on learning but from time to time will inject my own knowledge into a particular discussion.  I am always open to restructuring my entire worldview if and when information is given to me that warrants it.  Rarely does that happen.

I have been pursuing truth or the Truth if you will for over 35 years.  My introduction to Eastern Mysticism began when I was given a copy of T. Lobsang Rampa's The Third Eye by my 8th grade science teacher.  I began my readings in psychology when I was 14 years old reading a copy of Abnormal Psychology.  At the same time I had a small laboratory in my father's garage and spent many hours in the lab experimenting and blowning things up. :smile:

Since that time I have accumulated over 6,000 titles in my personal library and the fields that I am most comfortable in are science, philosophy, theology, and psychology.

I am not interested in any kind of mental masturbation but I am decidedly interested in learning.  I do not thrust my viewpoint on someone with the dictum that they must think it is true but I will defend, when I deem it necessary, to state what I think the truth is.  If anyone has information and the requisite reasoning to help me refine my ideas I am forever in their debt.  That doesn't happen often.

I notice that you seem to interject your idea of reality at many different turns.  Do not be surprised then that others do the same.

Enjoy your stay here! :smile: 

Invisiblewhiterasta
Day careobserver
 User Gallery
Re: Mental Masturbation? [Re: ]
    #1117675 - 12/06/02 05:02 PM (14 years, 21 hours ago)

Quote:

Make no mistake about it I find some of your ideas to be patent nonsense 

Make no mistake some of my ideas ARE patent nonsense! :wink: IMHO

We seemed to have followed many of the same paths of study and interest in many ways ....

Quote:

I have been pursuing truth or the Truth if you will for over 35 years. My introduction to Eastern Mysticism began when I was given a copy of T. Lobsang Rampa's The Third Eye by my 8th grade science teacher. I began my readings in psychology when I was 14 years old reading a copy of Abnormal Psychology. At the same time I had a small laboratory in my father's garage and spent many hours in the lab experimenting and blowning things up.

I made my first batch of black powder at 8yrs old LOL and blew up my fingers(only a bit) with it at 9.About the same time as I was first given the Bhagavad Gita(SP?) and the book of Mormon and began to realize that the world was a far more amazing place than I was being taught about in school.Thus began nearly 40 yrs of getting to the bottom of things.

Quote:

I notice that you seem to interject your idea of reality at many different turns. Do not be surprised then that others do the same.

Nah I'd be the first to admit I call the kettle black from time to time:grin:
I am serious about truly enjoying the level of thought/discussion I have found among you all!

PS I can be a bit pissy from time to time as my health flows, when my chest crack hurts I can be quite the ass,just slap me upside the head and it'll go away LOL :grin:
And to all thank you for the stimulating(Now there ya go again....not like that!:grin:)and thought provoking posts that you folks put up........just when ya think the world is full of Bozos.(and GW"s).......Thanx WR

--------------------
To old for this place

Anonymous

#1118857 - 12/07/02 12:56 AM (14 years, 13 hours ago)

:grin:

Mushrooms are one kind of trip.  You are another. :wink: :grin:

Invisiblewhiterasta
Day careobserver
 User Gallery
Re: Mental Masturbation? [Re: ]
    #1119639 - 12/07/02 12:13 PM (14 years, 1 hour ago)

I am honored by the comparison:grin:WR

--------------------
To old for this place

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology