Home | Community | Message Board


This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.


Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]
Re: Stranded [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #11066105 -

Prisoner#1 said:
stick your nose in there to see if you smell gasoline, if that odor is
present then it's a head gasket



How would he be able to smell petrol in the cooling system?  The fuel system is a completely different pressurised system.  If there is any smell of gas from the coolant system you would have to have a compression leak which means your car would be driving like shit and even then I'm sure it wouldn't come through to the cooling system.

Milky residue under the radiator cap should be a dead giveaway if you have a blown headgasket, especially since you just had it all flushed and refilled it should be clean as a whistle.  The oil will mix with the water and accumulate up by the radiator cap but there should be no smell or sign at all of gasoline.

Smelling gasoline under the hood coming from somewhere is a whole different kettle of fish, especially since the engine bay that has been posted is an electronic fuel injection setup.  I may be wrong since American cars are virtually non-existant over here but gasoline sounds like a ridiculous thing to smell in the cooling system.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Stranded [Re: nickc]
    #11066161 -

nickc said:
3. Headgasket
Oil in the water - water in the oil.  Check your oil cap (where you pour the oil into the engine) and see if there is any milky/white oily crap around the inside of the cap.  This is indicative of water in your engines oil galleries which is not good.



Excellent advice.


--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Stranded [Re: nickc]
    #11066199 -

nickc said:
How would he be able to smell petrol in the cooling system?



if the head gasket leaks between the cooling system and a combustion
chamber then it will blow fuel and exhaust gases into the cooling system
on the compression and exhaust strokes, on the intake stroke it will
pull coolant into the combustion chambers, that's why steam is blown out
the exhaust with a bad head gasket, initially it's not enough to drop
the compression too much, with older cars it may not be very noticeable
at first unless it starts fucking the plugs

Quote:
Milky residue under the radiator cap should be a dead giveaway if you have a blown headgasket,




that's assuming it blew into the oil gallery, I've seen plenty of cars
with the milky residue under the cap that were fine, the residue came
from condensation and the vapors off the heated oil, if there's a
coolant leak into the oil, it'll show on the dipstick as well, on the
oil cap it depends on the quantity as to whether it really determines a
blown head gasket



Quote:
I may be wrong since American cars are virtually non-existant over here but gasoline sounds like a ridiculous thing to smell in the cooling system.



it sounds odd but I'm sure you'll understand better now that I've
explained it in the first part of the post... I've built engines all my
life, my mom used to run the race circuits back in the 60's and 70's,
she grew up in a shop working on cars and when she was old enough she
was racing them,my father was a master tech, he did all the engine
building, at the age of 5 I was helping to tear down engines and stick
them back together, most of the stuff I build are bulletproof naturally
aspirated engines exceeding 800hp, drag cars and the long oval with a
few rally and marine engines...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Stranded [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #11070575 -

Update:

Woke up this morning in the motel room, took a shower, grabbed my things and called the garage I left my car at for the night and ask them to check the thermostat first. I hang out at the lobby for a bit but then get impatient as he isn't giving me a call back about the thermostat so I decide to walk the 3 miles to the shop and check the status of my car. With the help of a trucker I get there very quick, step into the garage and I see the mechanic working on my car, taking my engine apart, so I'm like woa, what are you doing, have you found out what's wrong with it yet?

He says no, he's still looking for the problem but again narrows it down to a broken head gasket and cylinder. I tell him to just stop and put the engine back together, I can't pay you for that repair so there's no point in even continuing. Guy fucking tells me it's gonna cost me to put it back together, since he took off the cylinder and the timing belt. Around 1000 dollars. I'm like WTF, I didn't give you permission to tear my engine apart! I said take a look at it.

Long story short, the repair is more than the car is worth so I left the broken car with him as compensation for the labor and took my shit and got a ride back to the motel.

Fucking thing is that I just asked him to take a look yesterday when I left the car there. He said he would have to take the cylinder off and I gave him the OK for that, but little did I know that once he does that it's gonna cost me to put it back together. I would've never said to go through with it had I known that. And why the hell did he take the timing belt out as well. Was that even necessary to diagnose a broken head gasket? The timing belt is what would've cost me 1000 dollars to replace it and put it back together! This is ridiculous but now I'm at the motel again, booked with a ticket to catch the next Greyhound bus to Jersey.

So I lost my car to a fucking mechanic who just went ahead and did shit to my car without quoting me on the price for taking the motor apart and what the consequences would be. Is this even legal?


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Stranded [Re: AlteredAgain]
    #11070602 -

no it's not legal unless you signed somehting staring he could service the
car, also, the fucker isnt a mechanic if he's gotta take the head off to
determine if the gasket is blown, that can be done in the ways outlined
above as well as through compression test on the engine

the guy is a ripoff shop

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Stranded [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #11070618 -

You need to contact a lawyer right now.

The guy is going to end up paying for the car to be restored back to when you brought it to him.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Stranded [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #11070637 -

Prisoner#1 said:
no it's not legal unless you signed somehting staring he could service the
car, also, the fucker isnt a mechanic if he's gotta take the head off to
determine if the gasket is blown, that can be done in the ways outlined
above as well as through compression test on the engine

the guy is a ripoff shop



exactly. what can I do about it? the people at the motel reception are saying I should file a police report. i did not sign a thing consenting to him taking my engine apart. i gave him a verbal OK to take a look at the car and take the cylinder off if he needs to look inside, not to tear out my timing belt and do other things to it!


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Stranded [Re: AlteredAgain]
    #11070670 -

call the police if you didnt sign anything and have an incident report on
file, contact a lawyer and deny any verbal agreement other than checking
the thermostat, it's obvious you know nothing abou cars and he's taking
advantage of the fact that you're from out of town and know nothing about it

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Stranded [Re: AlteredAgain]
    #11070677 -

police report ASAP. get this on record...you will prob have to go to small claims court unless the cops scare the guy into just putting it back together and turning it over to you. either way you clearly shouldn't have to part with the car or pay $1000. dont walk away from this!!

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Stranded [Re: AlteredAgain]
    #11070694 -

Just contacted the police. They're sending someone over right over for me to file a report.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Stranded [Re: AlteredAgain]
    #11070697 -

fuck man he stole your fucking car call the police!


--------------------

"There is never a wrong note, bend it."
Jimi Hendrix


Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Stranded [Re: SlightAttendant]
    #11070699 -

edmunds lists the car at around $3000, certainly dont walk away because
for under $100 he's got a working car he can resell and make more than
he'd have charged the OP

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Stranded [Re: SlightAttendant]
    #11070700 -

Make sure you ask for a cop that knows about cars so he can bust the balls of the mechanic and makes him put it back together.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Stranded [Re: TrancedShroom]
    #11070706 -

TrancedShroom said:
Make sure you ask for a cop that knows about cars so he can bust the balls of the mechanic and makes him put it back together.




and observe the work so he cant omit gaskets and stuff

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Stranded [Re: Prisoner#1]
    #11071167 -

Hey man,Romi just called me and explained to me what happened to you.

That's just fuckin awful man,wish I could help you.Hope you pull things through,that asshole shouldn't of done what he did!


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Stranded [Re: Liquid_Dimension]
    #11071478 -

Update:

I'm in Walterboro SC now, about 30 miles from where my situation got fucked. I had some awesome people over at the motel arrange me a ride to get here to the bus stop so I can finally get home. They encouraged me as well as you guys here to file the police report and so I did.

The officer told me straight up I should've never went to that mechanic. They've had numerous problems with them in the past and was not surprised to hear about my situation. Gave him all the details, basically what happened: Brought my car to him, asked them to look at it, call them today in the early morning to only check the thermostat, an hour later he's tearing the engine apart..

He gave me the next steps to take. First get a copy of the police report faxed to me. Then call the magistrates office and file a civic law suit. Definitely hire a lawyer and possible get an investigator if affordable.. He was just so frank about it, told me to not walk away from this, but unfortunatly couldn't put a gun to this guys head and make him give me my car. I have to go through small claims court for any chance to get my car back and put together.

I'm arriving tomorrow evening in Newark and I'm gonna sit down with my dad and take some action on this.

Please more input. Encouragement or legal advice will help. I've never sued before.


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Stranded [Re: Liquid_Dimension]
    #11071485 -

Liquid_Dimension said:
Hey man,Romi just called me and explained to me what happened to you.

That's just fuckin awful man,wish I could help you.Hope you pull things through,that asshole shouldn't of done what he did!



God forgive him but he should definitely not get away with this shit, that's for sure. Things will get better, I just wanna get home first.


--------------------

Edited by AlteredAgain (09/16/09 05:17 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Stranded [Re: AlteredAgain]
    #11073007 -

You need to rip this guy head off for trying to take advantage of a fucked up situation... so no question about it... take him down to the end... I am sure next time he will think twice before trying to fuck someone else because of their situation... I say screw him and take all he can give you w no shame!! Don't give up  or else he will get away w this one and many other peeps like you will get fucked as well!

<3 Romi


--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Stranded [Re: AlteredAgain]
    #11074514 -

AlteredAgain said:
niteowl said:
If it is a cracked head gasket, then your radiator man wouldn't have noticed that.



Howcome? Sorry, I know little about cars and motors.

TrancedShroom: No, I'm not blowing any noticeable smoke from my exhaust. At least not from what I could notice, i didn't really take a look at my exhaust. Engine bubbles and is very hot. There's enough coolant. A mild whistling is coming from the silver cap.. the mechanic unscrewed it a hot water sprayed out from it, almost burned his damn hands. He said something about there being air bubbles.



wow what a noob mechanic never open that shit while it's hot it's a pressurized system :wow:

you could have a clog in your coolant passages, or something of that nature. unfortunately this could be a death knell for your car.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Re: Stranded [Re: blkjkrabbit]
    #11074552 -

I'm a little late but this happened on my way to Rothbury, after driving 15 hours straight the car was fine but my idiot paranoid friend poured engine coolent in the...thingy. So it cracked and got on the pistons or something like that and the engine seized. 3 hours from Rothbury man. I was ready to sell myself. We got lucky though and found  a way to get there. The car is still in Michigan lol

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 |  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Injection Grain Bag


Similar ThreadsPosterViewsRepliesLast post
* Oil in My Antifreeze Pinhead 978 13 04/30/07 11:13 AM
by Scott Bennett
* Cost for replacing thermostat and housing? Terillius 373 3 10/19/09 11:48 AM
by pwnasaurus
* If you were stranded on a desert island...
( 1 2 3 all )
youbreakyoubuy 4,143 40 10/12/09 09:57 PM
by youbreakyoubuy
* I've basically fucking stranded myself
( 1 2 all )
Spacerific 5,183 35 07/18/14 05:34 PM
by Spacerific
* If you were stranded on an island which drug would you freak out the most if you didn't have
( 1 2 3 4 all )
Seriously_trippin 1,422 62 07/12/16 03:09 PM
by Jokeshopbeard
* I've a buddy Stranded/stuck in Santa Rosa. Maverick 614 10 10/04/09 10:32 AM
by Maverick
* So you are stranded for life on a desert island...
( 1 2 3 4 5 all )
28064212 7,263 92 01/04/15 04:58 AM
by Diethylamide
* if you could choose to be stranded in an island with any poster from the pub, who would it be?
( 1 2 3 4 all )
zZZz 2,243 78 04/29/15 09:23 AM
by trekie

Extra information
You cannot start new topics / You cannot reply to topics
HTML is disabled / BBCode is enabled
Moderator: Entire Staff
2,865 topic views. 0 members, 10 guests and 90 web crawlers are browsing this forum.
[ Show Images Only | Sort by Score | Print Topic ]
Search this thread:

Copyright 1997-2026 Mind Media. Some rights reserved.

Generated in 0.027 seconds spending 0.007 seconds on 16 queries.