Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinebmarley3434
wildwalker
Male User Gallery

Loc: nj
is picking mushrooms detrimental to them?
    #10896175 - 08/20/09 09:02 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

hey all, ive searched the posts and couldnt find any info. i see that many people clear their fields just to i.d. i am specific to try not to pick anything that i wont eat. i am wondering if picking the fruiting body can lead to more scarcity. what is the enviromental impact of the life of the species from overpicking. should we not suggest to people to only pick when necessary. or is it not detrimental?

thanks, ive been wondering about this for a while!

dan

--------------------
www.returntonature.us - wild foods blog

OM

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemasspan
l'eclair
 User Gallery

Loc: Flag
Re: is picking mushrooms detrimental to them? [Re: bmarley3434]
    #10896202 - 08/20/09 09:12 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

my understanding is that once the fruit opens and drops its spores, it's mission is complete, pick as many as you need to id, shouldn't be excessive. once you've found what have id'd as positive, pick responsibly, if they are open, i would go for it, harvest younger specimens selectively, leave a fair nuumber of healthy ones to make sure your field stays fertile, and don't tell anyone you don't completely trust where it is, my opinion :smile:

--------------------

my mother said, to get things done, you'd better not mess with Major Tom...whose status is the baddest, everytime 'they' bless the apparatus

OfflineSobe Arush
Energy Addict
Male

Loc: Canada
Re: is picking mushrooms detrimental to them? [Re: masspan]
    #10896376 - 08/20/09 09:55 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

masspan said:
my understanding is that once the fruit opens and drops its spores, it's mission is complete...

How long does this usually take?

--------------------

BRING SOBE ARUSH BACK !!

Write Complaints Here
Sign Petition Here, Here
Call:1-800-588-0548
And Join The Facebook Groups!!

Offlinedrift
Male User Gallery

#10896380 - 08/20/09 09:56 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

bmarley3434 said:
hey all, ive searched the posts and couldnt find any info. i see that many people clear their fields just to i.d. i am specific to try not to pick anything that i wont eat. i am wondering if picking the fruiting body can lead to more scarcity. what is the enviromental impact of the life of the species from overpicking. should we not suggest to people to only pick when necessary. or is it not detrimental?

thanks, ive been wondering about this for a while!

dan

You'll most likely be spreading spores everywhere once they're picked which is exactly what the mushroom intends to accomplish.

InvisibleGerman Kahuna
Facepalmer of Stoopid
Male User Gallery

Loc: On a Chemical Vacation
    #10896386 - 08/20/09 09:57 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Think of an apple tree. The apple tree develops apples so the ripe apples can drop to the ground and decay, releasing the seeds, from which new apple trees can grow. If you pick all the apples and eat them it would be detrimental unless you deliberately saved the seeds and planted them.
But a mature mushroom fruit has already accomplished its mission by dropping its spore load. No harm is done by harvesting it. What you should be sensitive about is mushroom pins, as with pins the life cycle is not yet completed.

--------------------
"Vegetarian" [ /ˌvedʒəˈteəriən/] - Ancient slang meaning "village idiot who can't hunt, fish or ride".

Invisiblekoraks
Re: is picking mushrooms detrimental to them? [Re: German Kahuna]
    #10896513 - 08/20/09 10:21 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I think the parallel with the apple tree is useful to some extent. The problem with mushrooms is that it is easy to disturb the organism itself, i.e. the mycelium. Especially with species that tend to grown on substrates that are easily damaged or displaced, damage may occur to the organism due to picking or even moving about the place. Also, with some species, the mycelium can be damaged by pulling the fruits out of the substrate with force. And last but not least, I do believe that over-harvesting will limit the mushrooms' ability to spread spores and to establish new colonies (less fruits are left in place for a shorter period of time), thereby preventing it from compensating for e.g. loss of habitat in other places or damage to mycelium as described above.

Offlinetangoking
Lover of Boletes
 User Gallery

Loc: New Jersey, USA
Re: is picking mushrooms detrimental to them? [Re: koraks]
    #10896657 - 08/20/09 10:48 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I show the mycelium a lot of respect:

1. I leave the biggest mushrooms. Let them spread their spores.
2. I leave any mushroom that's a little soft.
3. No yanking up mushrooms out of the ground! That disturbs the mycelium. I use a knife to neatly slice any that I harvest (if you need the base to ID it you should only harvest a few anyway).
4. Step carefully, and try not to stomp the pins or otherwise damage the mycelium.
5. Generally, I don't get greedy. It doesn't hurt to leave a few good ones behind.

The mycelium, in turn, has rewarded this ethic by steadily producing. I've able to go back to a spot over and over and over again to collect.

QUESTION: Are the spores in a cap that one eats able to safely pass through a human's digestive system and grow?

--------------------
Smurfette artwork reference:
https://www.guyhepner.com/product/smurfette-with-flowers-by-herr-nilsson/

Edited by tangoking (08/20/09 10:55 AM)

Offlinebmarley3434
wildwalker
Male User Gallery

Loc: nj
Re: is picking mushrooms detrimental to them? [Re: tangoking]
    #10897021 - 08/20/09 11:47 AM (14 years, 7 months ago)

thanks for all the imput. i feel its good to share with newbs to only pic what are needed. this way we can keep mushrooms around and not turn them into any endangered species.

that is a good question tangoking, im curious too. i also wonder when dung has spores in it is that from the inside of the animal or does it come airborn to the dung from another source? im thinking that it is from the animal. so that would parallel to humans digestive systems?

--------------------
www.returntonature.us - wild foods blog

OM

InvisibleShockValue
Because, ShockValue.

Loc: Tipping at windmills.
Re: is picking mushrooms detrimental to them? [Re: German Kahuna]
    #10897076 - 08/20/09 12:00 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

German Kahuna said:
Think of an apple tree. The apple tree develops apples so the ripe apples can drop to the ground and decay, releasing the seeds, from which new apple trees can grow. If you pick all the apples and eat them it would be detrimental unless you deliberately saved the seeds and planted them.
But a mature mushroom fruit has already accomplished its mission by dropping its spore load. No harm is done by harvesting it. What you should be sensitive about is mushroom pins, as with pins the life cycle is not yet completed.

I'm pretty sure the apples are there to be eaten, not to decay.    When eaten by anything except us "civilized" humans, the seeds pass through the digestive tract and are distributed far away from the tree alowing them to spread.

--------------------
  • When we built temples to view the stars, we knew about all 2000 of them.

InvisibleBretdaniel
Heavy Vibes

Re: is picking mushrooms detrimental to them? [Re: ShockValue]
    #10897382 - 08/20/09 12:42 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

I dunno I never go eating apple cores or their seeds :rolleyes:

InvisibleShockValue
Because, ShockValue.

Loc: Tipping at windmills.
Re: is picking mushrooms detrimental to them? [Re: Bretdaniel]
    #10897594 - 08/20/09 01:16 PM (14 years, 7 months ago)

Quote:

Bretdaniel said:
I dunno I never go eating apple cores or their seeds :rolleyes:

Read the first half of the second sentence again.  :blah:

--------------------
  • When we built temples to view the stars, we knew about all 2000 of them.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds