Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

how do you do your perlite????
    #1087393 - 11/26/02 10:51 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I live in a clod climate with no humidity. I noticed that a cake I have that I had to birth early in a seperate mini-chamber was getting too cold and possibly not enough humidity. I moved it under the blanket on the top of my incubator and it brought the temp up to about 75. Have 9 cakes that will be ready for birth next week. Have about a 10 gallon or so fruitng chamber built out of tubberware with a hold cut in the top. I've read a lot of different ideas for perlite teks but curious to see what most people do. I have heard that you drain it completely after soaking it and I heard that you keep 1/4 inch water for 2 inches perlite. Also what do people do that have cold climates. Do I just need to get another fish tank heater?

--------------------
Everything written above this line is completely false. I am terribly bored and write here to pass time. I do not participate or support any illegal activity.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRabbitt
Fucktard=k3y
 User Gallery

Re: how do you do your perlite???? [Re: thisone]
    #1087407 - 11/26/02 11:01 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Heres what i do
I have about 2 inches of perlite lining the bottom of my cooler with about 1/4 to a half inch of water not to much that the perlite cant soak up for contam purposes.
I also have a fish tank air pump pumping air into a cup of mildly hot water for temp and humidity. The humidity is fine seeing as how theres always percipitation running off the sides of the cooler. If you have a air pump Then i would say to try this out and see who it works before birthing your othert cakes into it....
Plce a plastic container (the bigger the better) into your tank on top of the perlite and place the heater into it and set it for 75. Then run the pump into it for humidity and test it for a day or two and se how it runs.
I personally think that should be almost perfesct conditions for pf-cakes.

Now if you can stablize the temp with out the heater then id just go ahead and run an air pump into it for humidty plus the perlite .People say that perlite is good enough but then again cakes need 95-100% rh so the more humidty you have shouldnt matter its better to have more then need then have not enough and still have to find out a way to add it..

--------------------
[NubS]

Offlinerhizo
herb eater
Loc: Superposition of possible...
    #1087417 - 11/26/02 11:04 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I also live in a cold climate. What I have done is this, I prop up my fruiting chamber a little on one end so that there is a "deep end" of water on one end. it is about 3-4 inches deep on the deep end. here i have a submersible heater on the bottom of the terrarium covered in perlite. The perlite is deepest at the deep end and shallowest at the shallow end. The water is the same. so the rubbermind is tilted, but the perlite is levelled to create a flat surface. there is only about four inches of headroom at the deep end, so when taller fruits grow i just move it to the other end. the perlite gets a little hot above the heater, so i set my casings(i also have a few cakes in there) on a jar lid. i use this method to give the greatest amount of fruiting area(no bulky water bottle heater thing). a side effect of this method is serious humidity steaming up from the perlite. sorry if this has been confusing, just took a bong hit

--------------------
An optimist is never pleasantly surprised.

Edited by rhizo (11/26/02 11:07 AM)

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

Re: how do you do your perlite???? [Re: rhizo]
    #1087463 - 11/26/02 11:24 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

So it's okay that the fish tank heater is surrounded by perlite? It won't damage the perlite or the heater? Did you mean 3-4 inches of water on one end? How much water would that be if the container was flat? Also, I don't know if the heater will go that low because in the incubator I found it getting to hot even when on the lowest setting. I guess I could just trun it on and off. Did you mix the perlite with water first, or place the perlite in and then pour the water in? Did you use H202? Okay sorry this is tons of questions and I know you're stoned but I do appreciate the help.

--------------------
Everything written above this line is completely false. I am terribly bored and write here to pass time. I do not participate or support any illegal activity.

Offlinerhizo
herb eater
    #1087493 - 11/26/02 11:36 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

No problem dude...it's just a little hard to explain without pictures, but I'll try. Ok, tank is inclined at a slight angle to give a water depth which is safe for submersible heater operation. when flat water level would be something like 3.5 to 5 cm, maybe less, it's hard to estimate because it's tilted, anyway, you could figure it out. perlite is about 7 cm, just a shitload of perlite...this is so that i can make a level surface even though the chamber is tilted(one end has about 1.5cm while the other has about 10cm). i have had absolutely no problems with perlite coming into contact with the heater or anything like that. when i crank up the heat more than a few degrees at a time the perlite directly above the heater will get up to about 40 celcius(104 F), but air just a few centimeters above this is about 33(93F) which is within the cambodian strain's fruiting requirements(heat lovers). of course if you problems you can put in spacers(e.g. jar lids, wire mesh). I use a very very mild(1:200) bleach solution occasionally on the perlite. my aquarium heaters have thermostats so that really makes everything easy as far as temperature control.

--------------------

Edited by rhizo (11/26/02 11:39 AM)

Offlinethisone
the one theydon't see

Re: how do you do your perlite???? [Re: rhizo]
    #1087496 - 11/26/02 11:37 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

cool thanks. What are spacers?

--------------------

Offlinerhizo
herb eater
    #1087508 - 11/26/02 11:42 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

spacer= something to create space with; funtion=separation of a casing or cake from the hot perlite directly above the heater

time for another hit

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies