Home | Community | Message Board

Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineEnCHaNTeDHoBBiT
Drug Connoisseur

Loc: Crawling on The Forest Fl...
2 Aquarium heaters Cracked, What's the problem?
    #4166959 - 05/12/05 05:10 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Ok, I bought 3 100 watt submersible aquarium heaters a while back. First heater... Put in a large vase and kept in with the jars. The water went kinda low. It cracked at the tip and no longer works. This happened the same day I put it in.

Second heater... I wrapped it with a clothes hanger, attached the hanger to a rusty drill bit for weight(so it wouldn't float), then put it in my bottom container. I put spacer jars in with the heater to keep the top container from touching the heater. It was constantly under bleach water and did not float. Two days temps were fine, day three it wasn't working cause it had cracked at the top.

Was it not suppose to have a hanger touching it? The entire water turned rusty and so did the hanger, within two days from the rusty drill bit. Maybe bleach and rust don't mix with heat. The heater did have rust coating on the glass, could this have caused it to bust? Did the water having alot of bleach cause it to bust? Any help would be appreciated because I have one more heater(same brand) to try. Any ideas?  :confused:

--------------------
"Statements above are absolutely fictional fragments of delusional, reoccuring Dreams."

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisibledeathbychimney
45th GenerationRoman
Re: 2 Aquarium heaters Cracked, What's the problem? [Re: EnCHaNTeDHoBBiT]
    #4166977 - 05/12/05 05:16 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

what brand were they?

i don't think the metal touching it was a good idea. it would heat up more than the water, i would guess.

--------------------
diarrhea takes over your life

OfflineEnCHaNTeDHoBBiT
Drug Connoisseur

Loc: Crawling on The Forest Fl...
Re: 2 Aquarium heaters Cracked, What's the problem? [Re: deathbychimney]
    #4167004 - 05/12/05 05:25 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

Well the incubator tek has a guy using metal clamps around the heater for weight. The heater was a Wave Castle 100watt submersible. And also I just read that when the heater busts, all kinds of rusty stuff comes out. I dunno what happened, guess the rusty metallic stuff came from the heater and not off the drill bit. What about the clamps used in the incubator tek. Should I use those? Or could it just be the brand of heater causing it to break within like 2 days?

Invisibledeathbychimney
45th GenerationRoman
Re: 2 Aquarium heaters Cracked, What's the problem? [Re: EnCHaNTeDHoBBiT]
    #4167018 - 05/12/05 05:29 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

i don't know, but i am aware that many brands of aquarium heaters are unreliable and that some are much more preferred over others by fish people.

i have ebo jager (glass) and stealth (plastic) heaters. maybe you want to try a stealth since there is much less chance of it cracking.

--------------------

Invisibledeathbychimney
45th GenerationRoman
Re: 2 Aquarium heaters Cracked, What's the problem? [Re: deathbychimney]
    #4167101 - 05/12/05 05:45 PM (11 years, 9 months ago)

you can also use hot glue.

my stealth came with suction cups, as did my ebo jager, so you probably don't even need to worry about clamps

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Aquarium Heater

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation