Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineDiscordja
Pope

Loc: Atlantic Canada
Pot and mental health
    #1076350 - 11/22/02 09:03 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Young cannabis users at more risk of mental illness

By David Derbyshire, Science Correspondent

One, led by Dr Stanley Zammit, of the University of Wales, Cardiff, found that cannabis increased the risk of schizophrenia by 30 per cent.

Most interesting to me...

The study was of 50,000 Swedish conscripts carried out over 27 years. Self-medication with cannabis was an "unlikely explanation" for the link, they found.

I've always held with the idea of pot as self-medication for people like myself; neurotic, possibly schizophrenic (who can tell?), and unwilling to hook myself on mood-altering prescription drugs. I don't see how they can correlate pot use with schizophrenia when they lack a clear idea of what schizophrenia is, what causes it, or how to cure it.

--------------------
Remember, it's only true if it makes you laugh...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Anonymous

Re: Pot and mental health [Re: Discordja]
    #1077031 - 11/22/02 01:54 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I guess I could see me becoming schizophrenic in the future, but if going mad continues to be fun like it has been, i can't wait!!

Invisibledownforpot
Stranger
Male
Re: Pot and mental health [Re: ]
    #1077417 - 11/22/02 04:42 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

damn, i better stop smoking.

--------------------

http://www.myspace.com/4th25

"And I don't care if he was handcuffed
Then shot in his head
All I know is dead bodies
Can't fuck with me again"

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

#1077451 - 11/22/02 04:55 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

This is obviously a ploy... What kind of name is Zammit, anyways???

OfflinePenguin
You can't be me I'm a Rockstar

Loc: On the Arctic ice shelf.
Re: Pot and mental health [Re: Grav]
    #1077618 - 11/22/02 06:20 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Sorta like Goddammit!

--------------------
The fear of loss is always greater than the desire for gain

InvisibleMr Wobblehead
WizardExtraordinary &Absolute CocoaSlut

Loc: They tell me it's a hospi...
    #1081054 - 11/24/02 02:32 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I detest these arsehole, anti drug, supposed to be, scientists who fuck around with some statistical evidence just to get themselves some government funding.

What they don't include in their report is the fact that if they stated that there was no correlation between cannabis and mental illness then they wouldn't get any more government funding.

I found the following on at http://www.psychiatry24x7.com

The most common form of substance use disorder in people with schizophrenia is nicotine dependence due to smoking. The prevalence of smoking among people with schizophrenia is about three times that in the general population. However, the relationship between smoking and schizophrenia is complex. Although people with schizophrenia may smoke to self medicate their symptoms, smoking has been found to interfere with the response to antipsychotic drugs, so patients who smoke may need higher doses of antipsychotic medication.

Now it seems to me that a mental health problem that makes people three times more likely to smoke tobacco is also going to make them three times more likely to smoke cannabis. It is therefore undoubtably going to fuck up any statistics that you drag up trying to correlate mental illness and cannabis use.

As for the depresion that was also claimed to be caused by cannabis. It is obvious that young people who are depressed will turn to drugs like cannabis and alcohol for comfort and escape. Anyone who is depressed and starts hitting drugs is going to find themselves with more problems as the real issues underlying the initial depressive state compound themselves. It's then the easy way out to blame all your problems on the drugs as the cause, instead of identifying the original issues that caused the depression in the first place.

But no matter what they say. For certain, millions of people are seriously injured and killed by alcohol and tobacco every year, and they are acceptable. In UK you can legally drink at 5 years old, and smoke at 16. So what the fuck is all this anti cannabis thing really about?

Edited by Mr Wobblehead (11/24/02 02:37 AM)

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

Re: Pot and mental health [Re: Mr Wobblehead]
    #1081261 - 11/24/02 06:51 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

It's about priority control.

I was just thinkin that pot is something that unifies all the people. Lets them chill out, stop thinking about everyday things, and maybe if enough people do this (not smoke pot, but chill out), we can figure out some solutions.

Some people seem to want to keep us split up in our moral lives. As long as we can't trust each other, we have to depend on THEM, and keep their houses big and their wallets fat.

So theyll tell us it makes you stupid, depressed, leads you to doing heroin and crack. Anything to keep us from thinking about the bigger picture. Anything to keep the power in their hands.
After all, if all of us decided that they were full of shit and it was time for reform, then we'd be terrorists. Hrmm... I wonder what Homeland Security is all about....

fuck our current government.

Invisibledee_N_ae
\/\/¡†¢h |-|øµ§³ ¢å†
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Shadow of Neptune
    #1081622 - 11/24/02 11:43 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

One of the few reasons cannabis users may be more depressed is because they realise ideas like those in the 2 posts above me...just my $0.02.

Another reason might be that there's no good ganja available to them at the time.

I've become overall a more happy person since I started smoking regularly.
That doesn't mean marijuana is the sole cause...but the lifestyle that comes with regular use proivded me experiences that turned me on to the fact that life, indeed, does not "suck".  :grin:
When I decide to quit, it won't be a problem.   

InvisibleMr Wobblehead

Re: Pot and mental health [Re: dee_N_ae]
    #1083545 - 11/25/02 01:53 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Thinking about what you're saying brings to mind another thought that i had....

That it is hardly surprising that people are showing all the symptoms of schizophrenia and other mental illnesses when they are being persecuted for doing nothing more than smoking a herb.

Lets face it, some people are quite capable of dealing with being hunted and criminalised, indeed, some people get off on this side of illegal drug use. But there are other people who use cannabis, who cannot deal with years of leading a secret double life from their family and workmates, not knowing who to trust, or who to turn to, not knowing when the law is going to kick the door in and take their house, possessions and liberty away. These are the people who turn to cannaibs in the first place because they find life a bit too much to deal with, only to find life becoming even harder to deal with - not because of the effects of the cannabis but purely and simply because of the effects of prohibition upon the user.

PROHIBITION CAUSES SCHIZOPHRENIA AND DEPRESSION!

Legalise and allow all users to take their rightful and dignified place in society and there wouldn't be a problem.

I know i'm preaching to the converted, but I had to have a rant somewhere.

Invisibledee_N_ae
\/\/¡†¢h |-|øµ§³ ¢å†
Male User Gallery

#1084040 - 11/25/02 10:06 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Great points...
I know people who have to sneak around from even their own family to smoke.
Granted, that's partially their fault, but if marijuana wasn't illegal they wouldn't care about their families knowing.

As far as medical marijauna busts...
It's painfully obvious that they're trying to eliminate use of any medication not made by a pharmacutical corporation and sold in a bottle.

IMO the medical marijuana issue is a crucial one at this point in our evolution.
The finer points of this issue are so far reaching and all-encompasing of our basic human nature that it should compell us to do everything we can (within reason) to ensure freedoms such as being able to grow medicine in our own home (not to mention the mind altering side of things) without the fear of armed forces busting down the door and arresting us.

Edited by dee_N_ae (11/25/02 02:07 PM)

OfflineDiscordja
Pope

Loc: Atlantic Canada
    #1084381 - 11/25/02 01:05 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Very good point. Pot really does cause paranoia...as soon as I light I joint, I get this incredibly crazy, unsettling feeling...like there are hundreds of angry men in uniform with guns that want to take my weed away and throw me in prison. Crazy, no?

The illegality of pot simply defies all common sense. The law was an anachronism twenty years ago; now, it goes beyond the absurd, beyond the tiresome and irritating. There is simply no word to describe it, except maybe STUPID .

--------------------
Remember, it's only true if it makes you laugh...

Edited by Discordja (11/25/02 01:08 PM)

OfflineTeRzMaStA
Psilocybin Pimp

#1084424 - 11/25/02 01:22 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

>One in ten of the people who used cannabis by the age of 15 in the sample developed schizophrenia by the time they were 26

That's some straight bullshit. What the fuck did they do, go out of there way to find people whos family is filled with schizophrenics? That's such bullshit propaganda.

--------------------
Think for yourself; Question Authority

InvisibleMr Wobblehead

#1084436 - 11/25/02 01:27 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Yeah, I think that we're reaching a point in the evolution of intelligent life where it has to be decided whether we are allowed to determine our own minds, bodies and lifestyles or whether we submit to the beast and surrender our right to self determination.

The trouble is that their side of the argument is that we, as a species, are not mature enough to allow the individual to determine themselves. Our side's argument is that we are.

It brings back some crap my father used to spout at me when i was a teenager, he used to say, "When you act grown up, I'll treat you grown up!" I used to retort, "How can I act grown up if you treat me like a child and limit my choices and actions to those of a child?" To which he would hit me to prove his overwhelming maturity.

Governments do the same thing to people. They won't let use behave like responsible people, instead they turn us into criminals for our self determined choices. Then they state that we can't be allowed those choices because we are criminals.

Anonymous

Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: dee_N_ae]
    #1084592 - 11/25/02 02:10 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

Invisibledee_N_ae
\/\/¡†¢h |-|øµ§³ ¢å†
Male User Gallery

#1084691 - 11/25/02 02:40 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I agree with you that drug use is something to grow out of. Definately.

Theres very few open-minded people who put it to good use.
That doesn't seem like a very constructive belief to hold for yourself, but that's fine, you're entitled. I'm not even sure what you're talking about...IMO my mind is put to it's "Best" use when I'm not thinking in terms of "Bad" or "Good".

I think true freedom has to come from within. External extra tools are not within you.
Again, I agree with you.

I still think laws against natural drugs is a very important issue for our society.
How are we to truly be our idea of free (from within, of course) if we live in an evironment where we can't even have the freedom to cultivate and ingest certain plants, in our own homes, without the possibility of arrest and prosecution?

OfflineGrav
 User Gallery

#1085176 - 11/25/02 05:59 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

When I'm high... I look at life differently. I feel the good in people. I focus on what we have in common instead of what makes us different.
Like dee_N_ae said: There is no Good and Bad.  There is a human trying to his or her best in their given environment. And no matter all the shit that one has to deal with in the external world,  there is still a place we're allowed to go together and be totally free. Free to feel love. Unrestricted love. No nations, no cultures, just humanity... creating.
Right now that place is in our minds. We get high to recenter our focus on something deeper, and temporarily forget all the stressful external stimuli of our everyday lives. 
But I don't think that it has to stay in our minds.  I think eventually this place could evolve to become the external world. And that is the day we will all live in peace and unity. 

You know what I'm talkin about.  :wink:

Wide-eyed and hopefully wild.

Invisibledee_N_ae
\/\/¡†¢h |-|øµ§³ ¢å†
Male User Gallery

#1085345 - 11/25/02 07:08 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

You know what I'm talkin about.

Absolutely.  Nice post Grav  :laugh:   

Anonymous

Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: Grav]
    #1085601 - 11/25/02 08:42 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

OfflineBaby_Hitler
Errorist
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: To the limit!
Re: Pot and mental health [Re: TeRzMaStA]
    #1085753 - 11/25/02 09:20 PM (21 years, 4 months ago)

>One in ten of the people who used cannabis by the age of 15 in the sample developed schizophrenia by the time they were 26

Shit, if that were true, I'd know at least a dozen shitzos, I know of precisely ZERO.

--------------------
"America: Fuck yeah!" -- Alexthegreat

“Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day.”  -- Thomas Jefferson

The greatest sin of mankind is ignorance.

The press takes [Trump] literally, but not seriously; his supporters take him seriously, but not literally. --Salena Zeto (9/23/16)

InvisibleMr Wobblehead

#1087023 - 11/26/02 07:32 AM (21 years, 4 months ago)

I wasn't trying to say that the future should be drugs, drugs, drugs.

My point is that it is up to the individual to decide their own future. I can agree to some extent that we should be getting away from drugs, but that getting away should be a choice from within each person and not be forced upon them by appalling and unjust laws from without.

I don't take any drugs of any description for weeks at a time (and i am quite happy like that), not because someone tells me not to or that it's bad for me, but because i make my own choice from my own experiences not to. And on Thursday when i munch a load of shrooms and drink a load of chocolate that will be down to my own informed choice.

The point I was trying to make is that as long as people are being treated as lame idiots who aren't capable of making these decisions for themselves then they will act like lame idiots and make lame idiot decisions. That is not good for the future of intelligent life.

People need to be given the choices for themselves. Sure some people will destroy themselves, but that's how evolution is supposed to work. The most mature and intelligent will survive to propogate a better species.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale